Re: [NTO] ios.VXD

  • Brian Binder
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 12, 2002
      In the future, when you need a file that Windows should have, or has
      gotten corrupt - do the following:

      Go to Start-->Run
      Type in "SFC" (sans quotes)
      Now choose "Extract One File From Installation Disk"
      In the box where you can type in a file, you would have put in "ios.vxd"
      (sans quotes)
      Then it will ask you where you want to extract them from after you hit
      the "Start" button in the window.

      The next screen will ask you where the file is located. This will be on
      your Windows 98 CD or wherever you have the .cab files located. Most
      times, they are installed in the "C:\Windows\Options\Cabs\" folder if
      you buy machines like Compaq, HP, Dell. The path is subject to change,
      and they hay not even be on your system.

      Either way, when it finds the file, it will back it up if you choose,
      and then it will restart your system. This is how you can handle it
      without someone emailing it to you. This won't always work, but for OS
      files it normally does.

      If you need more information on the procedure, just let me know.

      Thanx!

      Brian

      Jody wrote:

      >Hi Julie,
      >

      >>>Here are both of them plus the others from that dir
      >>>

      >>I'd try sending those privately as I don't believe the list
      >>allows attachments?
      >>

      >You though correctly; no attachments allowed.
      >

      >Happy Topics,
      >Jody
      >
      >The NoteTab Off-Topic List
      >mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

    • Ed Brown
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 12, 2002
        Brian,
        In my case windows would not run, not even in the safe mode because the
        corrupted files were system files. Thus there is no way that you an get to
        .cab files however it was possible for me to replace the files using DOS,
        BUT you need to have someone send you those files since you cannot reach
        them on your machine. Otherwise if you simply have one corrupted file or
        missing driver not used by the system to bring Windows up then the procedure
        that you outlined would work. However, there are instances when you have to
        do something else.. And since as you noted the Compaq that I own did not
        com with a disk, only a restore disk that formats your C drive and replaces
        the programs that come with the machine, hence you lose all your data and
        must use the back ups, well that would be ok but in these days of gigabyte
        machines, it takes days to reload all your programs and then restore your
        data. And for me at least there is always one or two good programs with
        data that did not get backed up. I just felt that I had to try to get these
        files installed without formatting the C drive if possible, but I used
        scandisk when I should not have used it, trying to get the problem
        corrected and may have to just format the thing and start over. Most of my
        files are now sitting out there as FILE0001 TO FILE025O. As Benjamin Rossen
        advised, do not try to mix Linux and Windows even with a partitioned disk.
        Ed

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 12, 2002
          I hear ya. Sorry - I didn't see the message where your system was down and
          couldn't be booted to safe mode.

          I have an FTP server that I use so people can download files from me. It
          comes in handy when people need things.

          They are trying to mix windows and linux, with Lindows! That's one I still
          have to try out. I tried doing what you did, with the different partitions
          between Linux and Windows, and that screwed up my system big time.

          I recovered, but the partitions had to be healed.

          Later!

          Jody wrote:

          >Hi Julie,
          >

          >>>Here are both of them plus the others from that dir
          >>>

          >>I'd try sending those privately as I don't believe the list
          >>allows attachments?
          >>

          >You though correctly; no attachments allowed.
          >

          >Happy Topics,
          >Jody
          >
          >The NoteTab Off-Topic List
          >mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/RN.GAA/dkFolB/TM

          .

        • Len
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 12, 2002
            Hi ED, et al;

            I have found two solutions to the type of problem you are describing.
            One is to backup the entire C: drive to a second partition on the
            same hard disk using a partition coping program which operates in DOS.
            The second is to back up the entire C: drive to a second hard disk
            using the same program. The second hard disk can be installed in a
            mobile rack so that it is only energized when needed. This is also a good
            defense against viruses.

            Good Luck, Len

            At 03:05 PM 8/12/02 -0500, you wrote:
            >In my case windows would not run, not even in the safe mode because the
            >corrupted files were system files. Thus there is no way that you an get to
            >.cab files however it was possible for me to replace the files using DOS,
            >BUT you need to have someone send you those files since you cannot reach
            >them on your machine.
          • Bob Garsson
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
              I want to move to Linux but I'd like to avoid the hassle of repartitioning
              the hard drive. Can you tell me how to put Linux and windows in the same
              partition? I've searched my hard drive an I don't have ios.vxd. Running WinXP.
              TIA,
              Bob

              At 11:57 AM 8/12/2002 -0500, you wrote:
              >Thanks to everyone who replied and sent the file. I have it now and will
              >install it and see what happens next in this fun filled chapter of trying to
              >put Linux OS and Windows OS on the same partitioned hard drive.

            • Brian Binder
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                My own advice...

                Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.

                What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program to
                do it.

                There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.

                One is VMWare's VM Workstation from www.vmware.com
                The other is Connectix Virtual PC from www.connectix.com

                Connectix Virtual PC has worked better than VMWare in all my tests of it, as
                far as speed and reliability.

                Virtual PC is also very platform independent.

                VMWare ties itself more with your hardware. It's not as easy as taking the
                images from VMWare and transferring them to a different PC, if you wanted to
                do it on a totally different computer.

                Virtual PC allows you to take the same Linux, or whatever image you made and
                use it on 100 totally different computers with all different platforms -
                provided you have the licensing.

                VMWare's product kinda groans about different hardware configs, and you have
                to use its tool to defrag the drive if it gets transferred, because it makes
                it inconsistent, etc.

                I would just use Virtual PC; I have never gone wrong using it.

                Just my 2 cents.

                I want to move to Linux but I'd like to avoid the hassle of repartitioning
                the hard drive. Can you tell me how to put Linux and windows in the same
                partition? I've searched my hard drive an I don't have ios.vxd. Running
                WinXP.
                TIA,
                Bob

                At 11:57 AM 8/12/2002 -0500, you wrote:
                >Thanks to everyone who replied and sent the file. I have it now and will
                >install it and see what happens next in this fun filled chapter of trying
                >put Linux OS and Windows OS on the same partitioned hard drive.

                4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/ySSFAA/dkFolB/TM

                .

              • DA
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                  Hi Brian,

                  The last two messages that you have sent have been generating errors that make Netscape Communicator 4.79 crash. If I go to AT&T first, and delete only your message, then everything downloads OK.

                  Is anyone else having this problem? Could it be a problem with Netscape Communicator 4.79 only? Anyone else using 4.79? Could it be AT&T only? None of my hundreds of other e-mail has any problems.

                  DA

                  Last problem message

                  Brian Binder wrote:

                  > My own advice...
                  >
                  > Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.
                  >
                  > What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program to
                  > do it.
                  >
                  > There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.
                  > .
                  > .
                  > .
                  > .

                  First problem message

                  Brian Binder wrote:
                  > I hear ya. Sorry - I didn't see the message where your system was down and
                  > couldn't be booted to safe mode.
                  >

                  > I have an FTP server that I use so people can download files from me. It
                  > comes in handy when people need things.
                  > .
                  > .
                  > .
                  > .
                • Ed Brown
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                    No problems here at all. But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
                    separate computer to put it on. IF you go ahead with it, back everything up
                    that you have on your computer before you start.
                    Ed

                    Brian Binder wrote:

                    > My own advice...
                    >
                    > Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.
                    >
                    > What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program
                    > do it.
                    >
                    > There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.
                    > .
                    > .
                    > .
                    > .

                    First problem message

                    Brian Binder wrote:
                    > I hear ya. Sorry - I didn't see the message where your system was down
                    and
                    > couldn't be booted to safe mode.
                    >

                    > I have an FTP server that I use so people can download files from me. It
                    > comes in handy when people need things.
                    > .
                    > .
                    > .
                    > .

                  • Brian Binder
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                      Weird. Sorry! I don't mean to crash your mail client. First I've heard of
                      it though...

                      In any event - I would personally go with a Virtual PC if you want to mess
                      with Linux and don't want to spend the money on hardware.

                      VPC is nice in the respect that :

                      [1] it's strictly a program
                      [2] you can adjust whatever hardware settings you wish
                      [3] fully customizable
                      [4] No partitions get modified
                      [5] "Guest OS" crashes don't affect your main operating system
                      [6] You can transfer, delete, modify the "Guest OS" like any other OS
                      that you would run without any fuss
                      [7] everything is basically "virtual" so when anything starts going bad,
                      you can simply delete that file that holds the guest OS without it affecting
                      your PC in any way.

                      Just a few advantages on a safe alternative.

                      Brian Binder wrote:

                      > My own advice...
                      >
                      > Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.
                      >
                      > What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program
                      > do it.
                      >
                      > There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .

                      First problem message

                      Brian Binder wrote:
                      > I hear ya. Sorry - I didn't see the message where your system was down and
                      > couldn't be booted to safe mode.
                      >

                      > I have an FTP server that I use so people can download files from me. It
                      > comes in handy when people need things.
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .

                      4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/ySSFAA/dkFolB/TM

                      .

                    • Scott Fordin
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                        Ed Brown wrote:

                        > But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
                        > separate computer to put it on.

                        If I may be so bold, I disagree completely. Linux and
                        Windows can coexist very nicely on the same box, and there
                        are, in fact, several advantages to having things configured
                        this way. For example, I currently dual-boot between Windows
                        2000 and Mandrake Linux 8.2, and the way I have things
                        mounted in Linux, I can access the *exact same* data files
                        and directories no matter which OS I'm using. As another
                        example, I have my Netscape POP mailboxes symbolically
                        linked between the two OSs, so I don't have to worry about
                        synchronizing the mailboxes, POP state, address books, etc.
                        Of course, you could do the same thing using network mounts,
                        but it's a couple of degrees easier and faster to actually
                        use the same physical machine.

                        If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
                        PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
                        really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
                        without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
                        you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
                        parition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
                        would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.

                        If you're simply dead set against subdividing your hard disk
                        to create a Linux parition, PartitionMagic notwithstanding,
                        you could simply install another hard disk on your machine.
                        Windows insists on being the first OS in the boot sector on
                        the first disk, but Linux is not so persnickety like that.
                        The key when configuring Linux to boot from the second hard
                        disk is to make sure that the LILO (or GRUB) boot loader is
                        installed on the disk from which you want to boot Linux,
                        rather than in the boot sector of the disk from which Windows
                        boots. It sounds more complicated than it is. Honestly.

                        Regards,

                        Scott
                      • Brian Binder
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                          In any event, I have had the complete opposite results 2 times upon trying
                          PM and BM.

                          I thought it worked pretty bad - and I had the latest versions.

                          You can always say it's operator error, but I sell PM and I have unlimited
                          tech support. I'm not new to PM, BM, or dual-booting configs.

                          There's issues that Linux impose with any OS in a dual-boot config, but PM
                          is currently working on the issues.

                          There's flaws in PM that are not so easily explained by their tech support
                          either. Heck, even drive size when creating the partitions impose risks
                          when doing this.

                          When you want a "no-brainer" type of solution to make it as error-free as
                          possible, I would still go with VPC.

                          There's a lot less risk in losing valuable data, since most people I know
                          never backup their systems unfortunately...

                          Your solutions still has strong points over mine, no doubt. You aren't
                          using shared networking or anything to slow down the speed. VPC and VMWare
                          have increased the speed tremendously, and are hoping to make it just like a
                          machine that isn't using shared drives or networking, etc.

                          One nice feature that they have is the fact that you can map drives to your
                          other OS on the system.

                          You can even drag-and-drop files into the guest operating system from the
                          host, or vice-versa.

                          Both solutions have their benefits, but I guess it's all up to you guys to
                          decide what path to take.

                          B.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                            It came in just fine in IE6.

                            At 10:09 AM 8/13/2002 -0700, you wrote:
                            >Hi Brian,
                            >
                            >The last two messages that you have sent have been generating errors that
                            >make Netscape Communicator 4.79 crash. If I go to AT&T first, and delete
                            >only your message, then everything downloads OK.
                            >
                            >Is anyone else having this problem? Could it be a problem with Netscape
                            >Communicator 4.79 only? Anyone else using 4.79? Could it be AT&T
                            >only? None of my hundreds of other e-mail has any problems.
                            >
                            >DA
                            >

                            >Last problem message
                            >
                            >Brian Binder wrote:
                            > >
                            > > My own advice...
                            > >
                            > > Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.
                            > >
                            > > What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program to
                            > > do it.
                            > >
                            > > There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.
                            > > .
                            > > .
                            > > .
                            > > .
                            >

                            >First problem message
                            >
                            >Brian Binder wrote:
                            > > I hear ya. Sorry - I didn't see the message where your system was down and
                            > > couldn't be booted to safe mode.
                            > >

                            > > I have an FTP server that I use so people can download files from me. It
                            > > comes in handy when people need things.
                            > > .
                            > > .
                            > > .
                            > > .

                          • Ed Brown
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                              Just for the record I used Partition Magic and Boot Magic and it still
                              managed to just about destroy all my windows programs. But after all it is
                              your call, my advice is still don't do it.
                              > But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
                              > separate computer to put it on.

                              If I may be so bold, I disagree completely. Linux and
                              Windows can coexist very nicely on the same box, and there
                              are, in fact, several advantages to having things configured
                              this way. For example, I currently dual-boot between Windows
                              2000 and Mandrake Linux 8.2, and the way I have things
                              mounted in Linux, I can access the *exact same* data files
                              and directories no matter which OS I'm using. As another
                              example, I have my Netscape POP mailboxes symbolically
                              linked between the two OSs, so I don't have to worry about
                              synchronizing the mailboxes, POP state, address books, etc.
                              Of course, you could do the same thing using network mounts,
                              but it's a couple of degrees easier and faster to actually
                              use the same physical machine.

                              If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
                              PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
                              really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
                              without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
                              you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
                              parition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
                              would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.

                              If you're simply dead set against subdividing your hard disk
                              to create a Linux parition, PartitionMagic notwithstanding,
                              you could simply install another hard disk on your machine.
                              Windows insists on being the first OS in the boot sector on
                              the first disk, but Linux is not so persnickety like that.
                              The key when configuring Linux to boot from the second hard
                              disk is to make sure that the LILO (or GRUB) boot loader is
                              installed on the disk from which you want to boot Linux,
                              rather than in the boot sector of the disk from which Windows
                              boots. It sounds more complicated than it is. Honestly.

                              Regards,

                              Scott

                            • hsavage
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                                > Scott Fordin wrote:
                                >
                                > If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
                                > PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
                                > really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
                                > without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
                                > you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
                                > partition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
                                > would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.
                                >
                                > Regards,
                                >
                                > Scott

                                Ed, Scott,

                                I second the recommendation for using PartitionMagic. I haven't used
                                Bootmagic yet but, I'm sure the day is coming.

                                I've used PartitionMagic a few years now and it has never created a problem.

                                hrs
                              • Brian Binder
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                                  How is your system at its present state, Ed? Get anything salvaged?

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                                    Hi Ed, Scott, Harvey, et al

                                    I have been using Vtec's System Commander/Partition Commander for
                                    several years now to create, Resize, Copy and Delete partitions
                                    and to boot between alternate OS's with no problems. I have
                                    avoided having to reload damaged programs and systems many times
                                    and have been able to completely remove unwanted problem programs
                                    by reloading the primary partition from the backup partition.
                                    I have not used Linex but With System Commander you can boot using
                                    alternate OSs on one HDD with no problem.

                                    BTW, with Windows on the primary HDD and Linex on the secondary HDD
                                    you can then place a backup copy of each OS's partition on the
                                    other HDD. 8-))

                                    Regards, Len

                                    >I second the recommendation for using PartitionMagic. I haven't used
                                    >Bootmagic yet but, I'm sure the day is coming.
                                    >
                                    >I've used PartitionMagic a few years now and it has never created a problem.
                                    >
                                    >hrs
                                  • Len
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                                      Hi Ed, Scott, Harvey, et al

                                      Corrected: V-Com Not Vtec, Linux Not Linex
                                      http://www.v-com.com/

                                      I have been using V-Com's System Commander/Partition Commander for
                                      several years now to create, Resize, Copy and Delete partitions
                                      and to boot between alternate OS's with no problems. I have
                                      avoided having to reload damaged programs and systems many times
                                      and have been able to completely remove unwanted problem programs
                                      by reloading the primary partition from the backup partition.
                                      I have not used Linux but With System Commander you can boot using
                                      alternate OSs on one HDD with no problem.

                                      BTW, with Windows on the primary HDD and Linux on the secondary HDD
                                      you can then place a backup copy of each OS's partition on the
                                      other HDD. 8-))

                                      Regards, Len

                                      >I second the recommendation for using PartitionMagic. I haven't used
                                      >Bootmagic yet but, I'm sure the day is coming.
                                      >
                                      >I've used PartitionMagic a few years now and it has never created a problem.
                                      >
                                      >hrs

                                    • Ed Brown
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                                        Not yet Brian, but still working on it I have no idea at this point what the
                                        final out come will be and it will be a few days before I know as I have
                                        some other things to do besides spar with computer, who seeminglly has a
                                        mind of its own. Using a partition with different versions of Windows is
                                        just fine. Linux is a horse of a different color.

                                        But I think the problems really come in more with different motherboards,
                                        different video boards, etc. If yours happen to be the right ones then you
                                        might be able to run LInux on a partitioned hard drive and have not
                                        problems. But if things should be just not quite right for Linux, then you
                                        may run into problems. I agree Partition Magic is excellent, and so is the
                                        Boot Magic program and the particular Linux program you are using might work
                                        OK.

                                        But Windows just doesn't see Linux, and Linux doesn't apparently know
                                        Windows is there. It will overwrite a window program in a blink of an eye.
                                        I dont know what happened but some of the people who use both professionally
                                        say keep 'em on separate hard drives. I will vote yea on that. If you use
                                        the same Hard Drive partitioned and have no problems, you are doing
                                        extremely well.
                                        Ed
                                        How is your system at its present state, Ed? Get anything salvaged?

                                        Just for the record I used Partition Magic and Boot Magic and it still
                                        managed to just about destroy all my windows programs. But after all it is
                                        your call, my advice is still don't do it.
                                        > But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
                                        > separate computer to put it on.

                                        If I may be so bold, I disagree completely. Linux and
                                        Windows can coexist very nicely on the same box, and there
                                        are, in fact, several advantages to having things configured
                                        this way. For example, I currently dual-boot between Windows
                                        2000 and Mandrake Linux 8.2, and the way I have things
                                        mounted in Linux, I can access the *exact same* data files
                                        and directories no matter which OS I'm using. As another
                                        example, I have my Netscape POP mailboxes symbolically
                                        linked between the two OSs, so I don't have to worry about
                                        synchronizing the mailboxes, POP state, address books, etc.
                                        Of course, you could do the same thing using network mounts,
                                        but it's a couple of degrees easier and faster to actually
                                        use the same physical machine.

                                        If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
                                        PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
                                        really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
                                        without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
                                        you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
                                        parition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
                                        would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.

                                        If you're simply dead set against subdividing your hard disk
                                        to create a Linux parition, PartitionMagic notwithstanding,
                                        you could simply install another hard disk on your machine.
                                        Windows insists on being the first OS in the boot sector on
                                        the first disk, but Linux is not so persnickety like that.
                                        The key when configuring Linux to boot from the second hard
                                        disk is to make sure that the LILO (or GRUB) boot loader is
                                        installed on the disk from which you want to boot Linux,
                                        rather than in the boot sector of the disk from which Windows
                                        boots. It sounds more complicated than it is. Honestly.

                                        Regards,

                                        Scott

                                        .

                                      • Dennis W. Farrell
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                                          Just a comment from a spectator: I've had a lot of success with a minimum
                                          of aggravation using hard drive docks, with one having my Win98 system,
                                          another with Win2K and a third w/ Linux.

                                          YMMV

                                          -- dwf