Re: [NTO] ios.VXD

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 12, 2002
      Thanks to everyone who replied and sent the file. I have it now and will
      install it and see what happens next in this fun filled chapter of trying to
      put Linux OS and Windows OS on the same partitioned hard drive.
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 12, 2002
        In the future, when you need a file that Windows should have, or has
        gotten corrupt - do the following:

        Go to Start-->Run
        Type in "SFC" (sans quotes)
        Now choose "Extract One File From Installation Disk"
        In the box where you can type in a file, you would have put in "ios.vxd"
        (sans quotes)
        Then it will ask you where you want to extract them from after you hit
        the "Start" button in the window.

        The next screen will ask you where the file is located. This will be on
        your Windows 98 CD or wherever you have the .cab files located. Most
        times, they are installed in the "C:\Windows\Options\Cabs\" folder if
        you buy machines like Compaq, HP, Dell. The path is subject to change,
        and they hay not even be on your system.

        Either way, when it finds the file, it will back it up if you choose,
        and then it will restart your system. This is how you can handle it
        without someone emailing it to you. This won't always work, but for OS
        files it normally does.

        If you need more information on the procedure, just let me know.

        Thanx!

        Brian

        Jody wrote:

        >Hi Julie,
        >

        >>>Here are both of them plus the others from that dir
        >>>

        >>I'd try sending those privately as I don't believe the list
        >>allows attachments?
        >>

        >You though correctly; no attachments allowed.
        >

        >Happy Topics,
        >Jody
        >
        >The NoteTab Off-Topic List
        >mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      • Ed Brown
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 12, 2002
          Brian,
          In my case windows would not run, not even in the safe mode because the
          corrupted files were system files. Thus there is no way that you an get to
          .cab files however it was possible for me to replace the files using DOS,
          BUT you need to have someone send you those files since you cannot reach
          them on your machine. Otherwise if you simply have one corrupted file or
          missing driver not used by the system to bring Windows up then the procedure
          that you outlined would work. However, there are instances when you have to
          do something else.. And since as you noted the Compaq that I own did not
          com with a disk, only a restore disk that formats your C drive and replaces
          the programs that come with the machine, hence you lose all your data and
          must use the back ups, well that would be ok but in these days of gigabyte
          machines, it takes days to reload all your programs and then restore your
          data. And for me at least there is always one or two good programs with
          data that did not get backed up. I just felt that I had to try to get these
          files installed without formatting the C drive if possible, but I used
          scandisk when I should not have used it, trying to get the problem
          corrected and may have to just format the thing and start over. Most of my
          files are now sitting out there as FILE0001 TO FILE025O. As Benjamin Rossen
          advised, do not try to mix Linux and Windows even with a partitioned disk.
          Ed

          Jody wrote:

          >Hi Julie,
          >

          >>>Here are both of them plus the others from that dir
          >>>

          >>I'd try sending those privately as I don't believe the list
          >>allows attachments?
          >>

          >You though correctly; no attachments allowed.
          >

          >Happy Topics,
          >Jody
          >
          >The NoteTab Off-Topic List
          >mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        • Brian Binder
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 12, 2002
            I hear ya. Sorry - I didn't see the message where your system was down and
            couldn't be booted to safe mode.

            I have an FTP server that I use so people can download files from me. It
            comes in handy when people need things.

            They are trying to mix windows and linux, with Lindows! That's one I still
            have to try out. I tried doing what you did, with the different partitions
            between Linux and Windows, and that screwed up my system big time.

            I recovered, but the partitions had to be healed.

            Later!

            Jody wrote:

            >Hi Julie,
            >

            >>>Here are both of them plus the others from that dir
            >>>

            >>I'd try sending those privately as I don't believe the list
            >>allows attachments?
            >>

            >You though correctly; no attachments allowed.
            >

            >Happy Topics,
            >Jody
            >
            >The NoteTab Off-Topic List
            >mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/RN.GAA/dkFolB/TM

            .

          • Len
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 12, 2002
              Hi ED, et al;

              I have found two solutions to the type of problem you are describing.
              One is to backup the entire C: drive to a second partition on the
              same hard disk using a partition coping program which operates in DOS.
              The second is to back up the entire C: drive to a second hard disk
              using the same program. The second hard disk can be installed in a
              mobile rack so that it is only energized when needed. This is also a good
              defense against viruses.

              Good Luck, Len

              At 03:05 PM 8/12/02 -0500, you wrote:
              >In my case windows would not run, not even in the safe mode because the
              >corrupted files were system files. Thus there is no way that you an get to
              >.cab files however it was possible for me to replace the files using DOS,
              >BUT you need to have someone send you those files since you cannot reach
              >them on your machine.
            • Bob Garsson
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                I want to move to Linux but I'd like to avoid the hassle of repartitioning
                the hard drive. Can you tell me how to put Linux and windows in the same
                partition? I've searched my hard drive an I don't have ios.vxd. Running WinXP.
                TIA,
                Bob

                At 11:57 AM 8/12/2002 -0500, you wrote:
                >Thanks to everyone who replied and sent the file. I have it now and will
                >install it and see what happens next in this fun filled chapter of trying to
                >put Linux OS and Windows OS on the same partitioned hard drive.

              • Brian Binder
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                  My own advice...

                  Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.

                  What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program to
                  do it.

                  There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.

                  One is VMWare's VM Workstation from www.vmware.com
                  The other is Connectix Virtual PC from www.connectix.com

                  Connectix Virtual PC has worked better than VMWare in all my tests of it, as
                  far as speed and reliability.

                  Virtual PC is also very platform independent.

                  VMWare ties itself more with your hardware. It's not as easy as taking the
                  images from VMWare and transferring them to a different PC, if you wanted to
                  do it on a totally different computer.

                  Virtual PC allows you to take the same Linux, or whatever image you made and
                  use it on 100 totally different computers with all different platforms -
                  provided you have the licensing.

                  VMWare's product kinda groans about different hardware configs, and you have
                  to use its tool to defrag the drive if it gets transferred, because it makes
                  it inconsistent, etc.

                  I would just use Virtual PC; I have never gone wrong using it.

                  Just my 2 cents.

                  I want to move to Linux but I'd like to avoid the hassle of repartitioning
                  the hard drive. Can you tell me how to put Linux and windows in the same
                  partition? I've searched my hard drive an I don't have ios.vxd. Running
                  WinXP.
                  TIA,
                  Bob

                  At 11:57 AM 8/12/2002 -0500, you wrote:
                  >Thanks to everyone who replied and sent the file. I have it now and will
                  >install it and see what happens next in this fun filled chapter of trying
                  >put Linux OS and Windows OS on the same partitioned hard drive.

                  4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/ySSFAA/dkFolB/TM

                  .

                • DA
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                    Hi Brian,

                    The last two messages that you have sent have been generating errors that make Netscape Communicator 4.79 crash. If I go to AT&T first, and delete only your message, then everything downloads OK.

                    Is anyone else having this problem? Could it be a problem with Netscape Communicator 4.79 only? Anyone else using 4.79? Could it be AT&T only? None of my hundreds of other e-mail has any problems.

                    DA

                    Last problem message

                    Brian Binder wrote:

                    > My own advice...
                    >
                    > Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.
                    >
                    > What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program to
                    > do it.
                    >
                    > There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.
                    > .
                    > .
                    > .
                    > .

                    First problem message

                    Brian Binder wrote:
                    > I hear ya. Sorry - I didn't see the message where your system was down and
                    > couldn't be booted to safe mode.
                    >

                    > I have an FTP server that I use so people can download files from me. It
                    > comes in handy when people need things.
                    > .
                    > .
                    > .
                    > .
                  • Ed Brown
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                      No problems here at all. But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
                      separate computer to put it on. IF you go ahead with it, back everything up
                      that you have on your computer before you start.
                      Ed

                      Brian Binder wrote:

                      > My own advice...
                      >
                      > Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.
                      >
                      > What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program
                      > do it.
                      >
                      > There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .

                      First problem message

                      Brian Binder wrote:
                      > I hear ya. Sorry - I didn't see the message where your system was down
                      and
                      > couldn't be booted to safe mode.
                      >

                      > I have an FTP server that I use so people can download files from me. It
                      > comes in handy when people need things.
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .

                    • Brian Binder
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                        Weird. Sorry! I don't mean to crash your mail client. First I've heard of
                        it though...

                        In any event - I would personally go with a Virtual PC if you want to mess
                        with Linux and don't want to spend the money on hardware.

                        VPC is nice in the respect that :

                        [1] it's strictly a program
                        [2] you can adjust whatever hardware settings you wish
                        [3] fully customizable
                        [4] No partitions get modified
                        [5] "Guest OS" crashes don't affect your main operating system
                        [6] You can transfer, delete, modify the "Guest OS" like any other OS
                        that you would run without any fuss
                        [7] everything is basically "virtual" so when anything starts going bad,
                        you can simply delete that file that holds the guest OS without it affecting
                        your PC in any way.

                        Just a few advantages on a safe alternative.

                        Brian Binder wrote:

                        > My own advice...
                        >
                        > Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.
                        >
                        > What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program
                        > do it.
                        >
                        > There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.
                        > .
                        > .
                        > .
                        > .

                        First problem message

                        Brian Binder wrote:
                        > I hear ya. Sorry - I didn't see the message where your system was down and
                        > couldn't be booted to safe mode.
                        >

                        > I have an FTP server that I use so people can download files from me. It
                        > comes in handy when people need things.
                        > .
                        > .
                        > .
                        > .

                        4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/ySSFAA/dkFolB/TM

                        .

                      • Scott Fordin
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                          Ed Brown wrote:

                          > But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
                          > separate computer to put it on.

                          If I may be so bold, I disagree completely. Linux and
                          Windows can coexist very nicely on the same box, and there
                          are, in fact, several advantages to having things configured
                          this way. For example, I currently dual-boot between Windows
                          2000 and Mandrake Linux 8.2, and the way I have things
                          mounted in Linux, I can access the *exact same* data files
                          and directories no matter which OS I'm using. As another
                          example, I have my Netscape POP mailboxes symbolically
                          linked between the two OSs, so I don't have to worry about
                          synchronizing the mailboxes, POP state, address books, etc.
                          Of course, you could do the same thing using network mounts,
                          but it's a couple of degrees easier and faster to actually
                          use the same physical machine.

                          If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
                          PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
                          really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
                          without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
                          you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
                          parition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
                          would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.

                          If you're simply dead set against subdividing your hard disk
                          to create a Linux parition, PartitionMagic notwithstanding,
                          you could simply install another hard disk on your machine.
                          Windows insists on being the first OS in the boot sector on
                          the first disk, but Linux is not so persnickety like that.
                          The key when configuring Linux to boot from the second hard
                          disk is to make sure that the LILO (or GRUB) boot loader is
                          installed on the disk from which you want to boot Linux,
                          rather than in the boot sector of the disk from which Windows
                          boots. It sounds more complicated than it is. Honestly.

                          Regards,

                          Scott
                        • Brian Binder
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                            In any event, I have had the complete opposite results 2 times upon trying
                            PM and BM.

                            I thought it worked pretty bad - and I had the latest versions.

                            You can always say it's operator error, but I sell PM and I have unlimited
                            tech support. I'm not new to PM, BM, or dual-booting configs.

                            There's issues that Linux impose with any OS in a dual-boot config, but PM
                            is currently working on the issues.

                            There's flaws in PM that are not so easily explained by their tech support
                            either. Heck, even drive size when creating the partitions impose risks
                            when doing this.

                            When you want a "no-brainer" type of solution to make it as error-free as
                            possible, I would still go with VPC.

                            There's a lot less risk in losing valuable data, since most people I know
                            never backup their systems unfortunately...

                            Your solutions still has strong points over mine, no doubt. You aren't
                            using shared networking or anything to slow down the speed. VPC and VMWare
                            have increased the speed tremendously, and are hoping to make it just like a
                            machine that isn't using shared drives or networking, etc.

                            One nice feature that they have is the fact that you can map drives to your
                            other OS on the system.

                            You can even drag-and-drop files into the guest operating system from the
                            host, or vice-versa.

                            Both solutions have their benefits, but I guess it's all up to you guys to
                            decide what path to take.

                            B.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                              It came in just fine in IE6.

                              At 10:09 AM 8/13/2002 -0700, you wrote:
                              >Hi Brian,
                              >
                              >The last two messages that you have sent have been generating errors that
                              >make Netscape Communicator 4.79 crash. If I go to AT&T first, and delete
                              >only your message, then everything downloads OK.
                              >
                              >Is anyone else having this problem? Could it be a problem with Netscape
                              >Communicator 4.79 only? Anyone else using 4.79? Could it be AT&T
                              >only? None of my hundreds of other e-mail has any problems.
                              >
                              >DA
                              >

                              >Last problem message
                              >
                              >Brian Binder wrote:
                              > >
                              > > My own advice...
                              > >
                              > > Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.
                              > >
                              > > What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program to
                              > > do it.
                              > >
                              > > There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.
                              > > .
                              > > .
                              > > .
                              > > .
                              >

                              >First problem message
                              >
                              >Brian Binder wrote:
                              > > I hear ya. Sorry - I didn't see the message where your system was down and
                              > > couldn't be booted to safe mode.
                              > >

                              > > I have an FTP server that I use so people can download files from me. It
                              > > comes in handy when people need things.
                              > > .
                              > > .
                              > > .
                              > > .

                            • Ed Brown
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                                Just for the record I used Partition Magic and Boot Magic and it still
                                managed to just about destroy all my windows programs. But after all it is
                                your call, my advice is still don't do it.
                                > But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
                                > separate computer to put it on.

                                If I may be so bold, I disagree completely. Linux and
                                Windows can coexist very nicely on the same box, and there
                                are, in fact, several advantages to having things configured
                                this way. For example, I currently dual-boot between Windows
                                2000 and Mandrake Linux 8.2, and the way I have things
                                mounted in Linux, I can access the *exact same* data files
                                and directories no matter which OS I'm using. As another
                                example, I have my Netscape POP mailboxes symbolically
                                linked between the two OSs, so I don't have to worry about
                                synchronizing the mailboxes, POP state, address books, etc.
                                Of course, you could do the same thing using network mounts,
                                but it's a couple of degrees easier and faster to actually
                                use the same physical machine.

                                If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
                                PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
                                really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
                                without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
                                you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
                                parition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
                                would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.

                                If you're simply dead set against subdividing your hard disk
                                to create a Linux parition, PartitionMagic notwithstanding,
                                you could simply install another hard disk on your machine.
                                Windows insists on being the first OS in the boot sector on
                                the first disk, but Linux is not so persnickety like that.
                                The key when configuring Linux to boot from the second hard
                                disk is to make sure that the LILO (or GRUB) boot loader is
                                installed on the disk from which you want to boot Linux,
                                rather than in the boot sector of the disk from which Windows
                                boots. It sounds more complicated than it is. Honestly.

                                Regards,

                                Scott

                              • hsavage
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                                  > Scott Fordin wrote:
                                  >
                                  > If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
                                  > PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
                                  > really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
                                  > without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
                                  > you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
                                  > partition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
                                  > would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.
                                  >
                                  > Regards,
                                  >
                                  > Scott

                                  Ed, Scott,

                                  I second the recommendation for using PartitionMagic. I haven't used
                                  Bootmagic yet but, I'm sure the day is coming.

                                  I've used PartitionMagic a few years now and it has never created a problem.

                                  hrs
                                • Brian Binder
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                                    How is your system at its present state, Ed? Get anything salvaged?

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                                      Hi Ed, Scott, Harvey, et al

                                      I have been using Vtec's System Commander/Partition Commander for
                                      several years now to create, Resize, Copy and Delete partitions
                                      and to boot between alternate OS's with no problems. I have
                                      avoided having to reload damaged programs and systems many times
                                      and have been able to completely remove unwanted problem programs
                                      by reloading the primary partition from the backup partition.
                                      I have not used Linex but With System Commander you can boot using
                                      alternate OSs on one HDD with no problem.

                                      BTW, with Windows on the primary HDD and Linex on the secondary HDD
                                      you can then place a backup copy of each OS's partition on the
                                      other HDD. 8-))

                                      Regards, Len

                                      >I second the recommendation for using PartitionMagic. I haven't used
                                      >Bootmagic yet but, I'm sure the day is coming.
                                      >
                                      >I've used PartitionMagic a few years now and it has never created a problem.
                                      >
                                      >hrs
                                    • Len
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                                        Hi Ed, Scott, Harvey, et al

                                        Corrected: V-Com Not Vtec, Linux Not Linex
                                        http://www.v-com.com/

                                        I have been using V-Com's System Commander/Partition Commander for
                                        several years now to create, Resize, Copy and Delete partitions
                                        and to boot between alternate OS's with no problems. I have
                                        avoided having to reload damaged programs and systems many times
                                        and have been able to completely remove unwanted problem programs
                                        by reloading the primary partition from the backup partition.
                                        I have not used Linux but With System Commander you can boot using
                                        alternate OSs on one HDD with no problem.

                                        BTW, with Windows on the primary HDD and Linux on the secondary HDD
                                        you can then place a backup copy of each OS's partition on the
                                        other HDD. 8-))

                                        Regards, Len

                                        >I second the recommendation for using PartitionMagic. I haven't used
                                        >Bootmagic yet but, I'm sure the day is coming.
                                        >
                                        >I've used PartitionMagic a few years now and it has never created a problem.
                                        >
                                        >hrs

                                      • Ed Brown
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                                          Not yet Brian, but still working on it I have no idea at this point what the
                                          final out come will be and it will be a few days before I know as I have
                                          some other things to do besides spar with computer, who seeminglly has a
                                          mind of its own. Using a partition with different versions of Windows is
                                          just fine. Linux is a horse of a different color.

                                          But I think the problems really come in more with different motherboards,
                                          different video boards, etc. If yours happen to be the right ones then you
                                          might be able to run LInux on a partitioned hard drive and have not
                                          problems. But if things should be just not quite right for Linux, then you
                                          may run into problems. I agree Partition Magic is excellent, and so is the
                                          Boot Magic program and the particular Linux program you are using might work
                                          OK.

                                          But Windows just doesn't see Linux, and Linux doesn't apparently know
                                          Windows is there. It will overwrite a window program in a blink of an eye.
                                          I dont know what happened but some of the people who use both professionally
                                          say keep 'em on separate hard drives. I will vote yea on that. If you use
                                          the same Hard Drive partitioned and have no problems, you are doing
                                          extremely well.
                                          Ed
                                          How is your system at its present state, Ed? Get anything salvaged?

                                          Just for the record I used Partition Magic and Boot Magic and it still
                                          managed to just about destroy all my windows programs. But after all it is
                                          your call, my advice is still don't do it.
                                          > But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
                                          > separate computer to put it on.

                                          If I may be so bold, I disagree completely. Linux and
                                          Windows can coexist very nicely on the same box, and there
                                          are, in fact, several advantages to having things configured
                                          this way. For example, I currently dual-boot between Windows
                                          2000 and Mandrake Linux 8.2, and the way I have things
                                          mounted in Linux, I can access the *exact same* data files
                                          and directories no matter which OS I'm using. As another
                                          example, I have my Netscape POP mailboxes symbolically
                                          linked between the two OSs, so I don't have to worry about
                                          synchronizing the mailboxes, POP state, address books, etc.
                                          Of course, you could do the same thing using network mounts,
                                          but it's a couple of degrees easier and faster to actually
                                          use the same physical machine.

                                          If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
                                          PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
                                          really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
                                          without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
                                          you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
                                          parition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
                                          would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.

                                          If you're simply dead set against subdividing your hard disk
                                          to create a Linux parition, PartitionMagic notwithstanding,
                                          you could simply install another hard disk on your machine.
                                          Windows insists on being the first OS in the boot sector on
                                          the first disk, but Linux is not so persnickety like that.
                                          The key when configuring Linux to boot from the second hard
                                          disk is to make sure that the LILO (or GRUB) boot loader is
                                          installed on the disk from which you want to boot Linux,
                                          rather than in the boot sector of the disk from which Windows
                                          boots. It sounds more complicated than it is. Honestly.

                                          Regards,

                                          Scott

                                          .

                                        • Dennis W. Farrell
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                                            Just a comment from a spectator: I've had a lot of success with a minimum
                                            of aggravation using hard drive docks, with one having my Win98 system,
                                            another with Win2K and a third w/ Linux.

                                            YMMV

                                            -- dwf