Re: [NTO] ios.VXD

  • Julie
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 12, 2002
      At 09:17 AM 08/12/2002 -0700, Jim Hall wrote:

      >At 11:05 AM 8/12/2002 -0500, you wrote:
      > >I need a file called ios.VXD.
      >
      >Here are both of them plus the others from that dir

      I'd try sending those privately as I don't believe the list allows attachments?

      Julie
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12, 2002
        Hi Julie,

        > > Here are both of them plus the others from that dir
        >
        >I'd try sending those privately as I don't believe the list
        >allows attachments?

        You though correctly; no attachments allowed.

      • Scott
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 14, 2002
          On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:05:25 -0500, Ed Brown wrote:

          -->I need a file called ios.VXD. It is a Windows 98 file that became
          corrupted
          -->and is no longer useable on my computer, but I need it to open
          Windows. I
          -->do not have a Windows 98 disk at hand as mine came in CAB files on
          my
          -->computer hard drive and now Windows will not open. But it opens with
          the
          -->emergeny boot disk however,to the A:\ and from there I can open C:\
          and
          -->install the file. But as of now it will not even let me open in the
          safe
          -->mode without this file.
          -->Thanks,

          Ed,

          i am catching up on emails after being away from computers for a few
          days, so this may already have been answered since i haven't made it
          through this thread yet.
          as long as you have a win98 startup disk, this can be done from a
          command prompt using the extract command which is on the startup disk.
          i keep my cab files in the directory c:\cabs and the first cab file is
          base4.cab
          the structure of the command is:
          extract PATH /a FILENAME /l DESTINATION
          the /a switch will process all cab files starting with the first one
          listed in the PATH, so you always want to start at base4.cab unless you
          know the specific cab file that contains your file (ios.vxd is in
          win98_54.cab , btw)
          the /l switch is the destination where the file will be extracted to.
          in the case of ios.vxd , you should extract to c:\windows\system\vmm32
          you can also add /y in front of the /a switch and this will overwrite
          without prompting.

          you may have to adjust the PATH to fit your needs, but this is the
          syntax i would use on my machine:

          extract c:\cabs\base4.cab /a ios.vxd /l c:\windows\system\vmm32

          it is certainly possible to dual boot win98 and linux; i am doing it
          now with mandrake 8.2 on my desktop machine.
          my laptop dual boots win2k and debian. they key is to make sure that
          the linux distribution you choose supports your hardware, or you have
          to be willing to do some hunting to find the appropriate packages to
          support your hardware.
          mandrake's website has lots of info on what hardware it supports and
          it's installation is one of the easiest of all linux distributions,
          though most of the more popular distros now have fairly easy to use
          install programs.
          you also want to make sure that the first OS installed is the microsoft
          OS, because it insists on ownership of MBR. linux is more flexible and
          the included bootloaders (LILO or grub) can handle boot options. you
          can also set linux to boot from a floppy.
          to do the repartitioning so that you can add linux, i've had good luck
          with partition magic in the past, but i know some have had problems
          also. there are lots of other solutions for repartitioning, and once
          you have a linux install, there are linux tools that are pretty good
          for this.

          linux has lots of text editor options, but none as cool as notetab!

          regards,

          scott