Re: [NTO] ios.VXD

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 12 9:17 AM
      At 11:05 AM 8/12/2002 -0500, you wrote:
      >I need a file called ios.VXD.

      Here are both of them plus the others from that dir

      Just copy them into the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32 directory.

    • Julie
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12 9:52 AM
        At 09:17 AM 08/12/2002 -0700, Jim Hall wrote:

        >At 11:05 AM 8/12/2002 -0500, you wrote:
        > >I need a file called ios.VXD.
        >
        >Here are both of them plus the others from that dir

        I'd try sending those privately as I don't believe the list allows attachments?

        Julie
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 12 12:06 PM
          Hi Julie,

          > > Here are both of them plus the others from that dir
          >
          >I'd try sending those privately as I don't believe the list
          >allows attachments?

          You though correctly; no attachments allowed.

        • Scott
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 14 5:15 AM
            On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:05:25 -0500, Ed Brown wrote:

            -->I need a file called ios.VXD. It is a Windows 98 file that became
            corrupted
            -->and is no longer useable on my computer, but I need it to open
            Windows. I
            -->do not have a Windows 98 disk at hand as mine came in CAB files on
            my
            -->computer hard drive and now Windows will not open. But it opens with
            the
            -->emergeny boot disk however,to the A:\ and from there I can open C:\
            and
            -->install the file. But as of now it will not even let me open in the
            safe
            -->mode without this file.
            -->Thanks,

            Ed,

            i am catching up on emails after being away from computers for a few
            days, so this may already have been answered since i haven't made it
            through this thread yet.
            as long as you have a win98 startup disk, this can be done from a
            command prompt using the extract command which is on the startup disk.
            i keep my cab files in the directory c:\cabs and the first cab file is
            base4.cab
            the structure of the command is:
            extract PATH /a FILENAME /l DESTINATION
            the /a switch will process all cab files starting with the first one
            listed in the PATH, so you always want to start at base4.cab unless you
            know the specific cab file that contains your file (ios.vxd is in
            win98_54.cab , btw)
            the /l switch is the destination where the file will be extracted to.
            in the case of ios.vxd , you should extract to c:\windows\system\vmm32
            you can also add /y in front of the /a switch and this will overwrite
            without prompting.

            you may have to adjust the PATH to fit your needs, but this is the
            syntax i would use on my machine:

            extract c:\cabs\base4.cab /a ios.vxd /l c:\windows\system\vmm32

            it is certainly possible to dual boot win98 and linux; i am doing it
            now with mandrake 8.2 on my desktop machine.
            my laptop dual boots win2k and debian. they key is to make sure that
            the linux distribution you choose supports your hardware, or you have
            to be willing to do some hunting to find the appropriate packages to
            support your hardware.
            mandrake's website has lots of info on what hardware it supports and
            it's installation is one of the easiest of all linux distributions,
            though most of the more popular distros now have fairly easy to use
            install programs.
            you also want to make sure that the first OS installed is the microsoft
            OS, because it insists on ownership of MBR. linux is more flexible and
            the included bootloaders (LILO or grub) can handle boot options. you
            can also set linux to boot from a floppy.
            to do the repartitioning so that you can add linux, i've had good luck
            with partition magic in the past, but i know some have had problems
            also. there are lots of other solutions for repartitioning, and once
            you have a linux install, there are linux tools that are pretty good
            for this.

            linux has lots of text editor options, but none as cool as notetab!

            regards,

            scott