ios.VXD

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 12, 2002
      I need a file called ios.VXD. It is a Windows 98 file that became corrupted
      and is no longer useable on my computer, but I need it to open Windows. I
      do not have a Windows 98 disk at hand as mine came in CAB files on my
      computer hard drive and now Windows will not open. But it opens with the
      emergeny boot disk however,to the A:\ and from there I can open C:\ and
      install the file. But as of now it will not even let me open in the safe
      mode without this file.
      Thanks,
      Ed

      Let me not judge my fellowman,
      But understand them, Lord, and when
      the casting of stones begins,
      Remind me of my many sins. Vandegrift
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12, 2002
        At 11:05 AM 8/12/2002 -0500, you wrote:
        >I need a file called ios.VXD.

        Here are both of them plus the others from that dir

        Just copy them into the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32 directory.

      • Julie
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 12, 2002
          At 09:17 AM 08/12/2002 -0700, Jim Hall wrote:

          >At 11:05 AM 8/12/2002 -0500, you wrote:
          > >I need a file called ios.VXD.
          >
          >Here are both of them plus the others from that dir

          I'd try sending those privately as I don't believe the list allows attachments?

          Julie
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 12, 2002
            Hi Julie,

            > > Here are both of them plus the others from that dir
            >
            >I'd try sending those privately as I don't believe the list
            >allows attachments?

            You though correctly; no attachments allowed.

          • Scott
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 14, 2002
              On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:05:25 -0500, Ed Brown wrote:

              -->I need a file called ios.VXD. It is a Windows 98 file that became
              corrupted
              -->and is no longer useable on my computer, but I need it to open
              Windows. I
              -->do not have a Windows 98 disk at hand as mine came in CAB files on
              my
              -->computer hard drive and now Windows will not open. But it opens with
              the
              -->emergeny boot disk however,to the A:\ and from there I can open C:\
              and
              -->install the file. But as of now it will not even let me open in the
              safe
              -->mode without this file.
              -->Thanks,

              Ed,

              i am catching up on emails after being away from computers for a few
              days, so this may already have been answered since i haven't made it
              through this thread yet.
              as long as you have a win98 startup disk, this can be done from a
              command prompt using the extract command which is on the startup disk.
              i keep my cab files in the directory c:\cabs and the first cab file is
              base4.cab
              the structure of the command is:
              extract PATH /a FILENAME /l DESTINATION
              the /a switch will process all cab files starting with the first one
              listed in the PATH, so you always want to start at base4.cab unless you
              know the specific cab file that contains your file (ios.vxd is in
              win98_54.cab , btw)
              the /l switch is the destination where the file will be extracted to.
              in the case of ios.vxd , you should extract to c:\windows\system\vmm32
              you can also add /y in front of the /a switch and this will overwrite
              without prompting.

              you may have to adjust the PATH to fit your needs, but this is the
              syntax i would use on my machine:

              extract c:\cabs\base4.cab /a ios.vxd /l c:\windows\system\vmm32

              it is certainly possible to dual boot win98 and linux; i am doing it
              now with mandrake 8.2 on my desktop machine.
              my laptop dual boots win2k and debian. they key is to make sure that
              the linux distribution you choose supports your hardware, or you have
              to be willing to do some hunting to find the appropriate packages to
              support your hardware.
              mandrake's website has lots of info on what hardware it supports and
              it's installation is one of the easiest of all linux distributions,
              though most of the more popular distros now have fairly easy to use
              install programs.
              you also want to make sure that the first OS installed is the microsoft
              OS, because it insists on ownership of MBR. linux is more flexible and
              the included bootloaders (LILO or grub) can handle boot options. you
              can also set linux to boot from a floppy.
              to do the repartitioning so that you can add linux, i've had good luck
              with partition magic in the past, but i know some have had problems
              also. there are lots of other solutions for repartitioning, and once
              you have a linux install, there are linux tools that are pretty good
              for this.

              linux has lots of text editor options, but none as cool as notetab!

              regards,

              scott