Mouse Keystrokes

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2002
      I found this and thought I would share it for anyone who finds it helpful.

      Mouse Keystrokes

      My Microsoft Wheel Mouse has extra buttons that can be assigned to generate keystrokes. I want one to generate Alt-Esc, which cycles through open windows. The problem is, I can't enter Alt-Esc into the Mouse Properties dialog, because pressing Esc closes the dialog.

      The settings for mouse button assignments are stored as DWORD values in the Registry key HKEY_ CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\ Microsoft Input Devices\Mouse. The Thumb button assignment on a Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical is stored in the value named 4_BtnAssignment. By examining the values stored for Alt-Q and other key combinations, I determined that the hex number 0x041b002e should correspond to Alt-Esc. I made that change in the Registry, and after I restarted Windows, my mouse's Thumb button sent the Alt-Esc key combination.