Any way to stop a browser from accessing a website?

  • alice ttlg
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2002
      My mother is a junkie. She is addicted to games! LOL!

      But she's fairly untechnical and wants me to block her from going to the Yahoo
      games site or even all of Yahoo (and then block whatever games site she finds
      next... :-))

      She uses IE 6 and I had set it to not accept cookies from Yahoo which meant she
      couldn't sign in and couldn't play their games. But now they're putting new
      games up that you don't have to sign in for so she's playing games again and
      wants me to stop her.

      Is there a way in Windows or IE to prohibit the browser from going to a specific
      domain or IP address? She does need to use the browser for other non-game stuff
      so I can't just remove it (I did threaten to give her a text browser like Lynx
      :-)).

      I thought about turning off javascript but the other sites she surfs are mainly
      shopping sites which need that.

      alice ttlg

      http://idiotbox.populli.net/
      I need a one way ticket, two bottles of whiskey and three long years.... --
      country song
    • Marc Getty
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2002
        Under Internet Options, add Yahoo! and Yahoo! Games to the list of
        restricted sites.

        -Marc Getty
        marc@...

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • alice ttlg
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5, 2002
          > Under Internet Options, add Yahoo! and Yahoo! Games to the list of
          > restricted sites.
          >
          > -Marc Getty

          well duh! :-) It was right there in front of my eyes, wasn't it? Thanks much!
          That'll work perfectly, she doesn't even try to figure out program settings so
          she'll never find this.

          alice ttlg

          http://idiotbox.populli.net/
          "...I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating. I don't care
          if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of
          music--anybody who spends part of their day sharing their experience...this
          world would be unlivable without art, and I thank you." --Steven Soderbergh, on
          the occasion of winning the Best Director Oscar 3/2001