Real Player annoyance

  • Marcus
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 27, 2002
      Does anybody know how to stop the new Real Player from trying to access
      the net?
      Zone Alarm warns me, but there's no pattern, and I can't figure out how
      this connector is launching to "phone home".

      It's not in the Windows scheduler.

      Marcus
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 27, 2002
        At 20:31 2002.06.27, you wrote:
        >Does anybody know how to stop the new Real Player from trying to access
        >the net?
        >Zone Alarm warns me, but there's no pattern, and I can't figure out how
        >this connector is launching to "phone home".
        >
        >It's not in the Windows scheduler.

        Hi,

        Don't know if this is what you need but...These two added themselves to the
        registry to start with windows (don't remember which key) when I installed
        Real. Killing them didn't hurt anything.

        C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\evntsvc.exe -osboot
        C:\WINNT\System32\qttask.exe

        Lotta
      • Marcus
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 11, 2002
          > At 20:31 2002.06.27, you wrote:
          > Don't know if this is what you need
          but...These two added
          > themselves to the registry to start with windows
          (don't
          > remember which key) when I installed Real. Killing them
          > didn't
          hurt anything.

          > C:\Program Files\Common
          Files\Real\Update_OB\evntsvc.exe
          > -osboot

          C:\WINNT\System32\qttask.exe

          Thanks Lotta, I think I should be able
          to track it down now. Did you use some sort of an uninstaller
          of registry watcherto get the info?

          Marcus
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 11, 2002
            At 15:58 2002.07.11, Marcus wrote:
            >Did you use some sort of an uninstaller
            >of registry watcherto get the info?

            Nothing advanced. I, when I remember, use Startup Control Panel when I've
            installed something new to see if it has added itself to auto start. When
            they can be expected to be extra evil I sometimes check with RegCleaner
            that shows all registry entries but flag new ones. Both make backups and I
            had forgotten to delete these. That's why I knew what they were. I'm not
            ambitious enough to keep records. :/

            <http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml>
            <http://www.jv16.org/>