Win ME problem solver

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 24, 2002
      FYI for ME users

      Thousands of .inf Files!

      By Neil J. Rubenking

      I was having trouble installing new programs, including Windows Critical Updates, on my Windows Me system. Finally, I got an error message about file creation in the C:\Windows\Inf folder. When I looked, I found 40,000 files in the folder. 37,000 were of zero length with filenames like OEM######.inf.

      After spending 2 hours deleting these mysterious files, I was able to install all the software and updates that had been failing. What I want to know is, where did all these .inf files come from? How do I prevent a recurrence? Did I break anything by deleting them?

      Gregg Renais

      This overflow is caused by a bug in Windows Me and exacerbated by an interaction with Norton System Doctor. In addition to the thousands of 0-byte .inf files, you may also find 0-byte .cpy files. Both Microsoft and Symantec recommend that you delete the offending files; this won't hurt or damage your system.

      Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q281967, "Computer Stops Responding (Hangs) During Setup, Installing Updates, or Adding New Hardware," describes in detail the proper steps for deleting those files. A link to a fix for the problem is also there.

      HIH

      Regards,

      Jim
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 17, 2002
        Hi All,

        I install XP Pro om my Win98 machine which has a 350MHz possessor
        with 32MB RAM memory, with 256 RAM on it and XP out performs on
        that outdated machine much better than Win98.

        In His Service,
        Bro. Jody Adair

        John 1:29; Acts 16:30-31; Rom. 3:23,4:5,5:8,
        6:23; 1 Cor. 15:3-4, Eph. 2:8-9; 1 Tim. 1:15

        And my song shall ever be,
        praise the Lamb who died for me,
        and I'll sing it while ages shall roll.

        Sojourners' Bible Study Page