Re: [NTO] Freeware to make Demo Shareware

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 13, 2002
      Marcus: Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

      > >Just curious ... how do trial version expiries work?

      > Anyway, there is no single answer. Developers, I think,
      most oftenly use home-grown checks. If crackers crack a
      copy protection system then all products using it are
      vulnerable, which is why it can be dicey. It may suffice
      though.

      > ... Basically, you have to store information somewhere
      on the computer and let the program compare against it.
      There are all sorts of ways to do that, and probably a
      never-ending discussion and development....

      > ... If you really want a challenge, then try to think
      how you would implement a trial expiration yourself....

      I've used Inctrl5: installed target program, exercised
      the "target", uninstalled the "target" and then completed
      the Incntrl5 compare and looked for "stuff" that gets
      left over.

      A couple of times I've spotted a peculiar registry key
      that might be implicated. In another, a bizarre 20 byte
      file left in Windows/System.

      For these two, checking with RegMon and FileMon confirmed
      that the registry key and file respectively were being
      checked sometime before the splash warning of "n days
      left ..." came up. However simply a removing the key and
      in the other case, renaming the file didn't defeat the
      countdown.

      *** - Where else is there to hide - that Incntrl5
      wouldn't catch? ***

      My guess would be special code that attempts to outwait
      the watcher and THEN does its thing.

      btw: I found one program that actually killed a running
      instance of RegMon during the "target"s startup, but (I
      discovered) if there were two or more instances of RegMon
      running left the other running. Once I'd convinced myself
      it wasn't just a fluke, I sent a bug report to the
      developer. Next release of the program a few days later
      with otherwise comprehensive change log didn't happen to
      mention that now the "target" would kill ALL instances of
      RegMon - way cool!

      > ... I decided to not spend too much time on that. If
      you are really curious then there are plenty of places on
      the net where the script kiddies swap info ...

      I've learned a fair bit of HTML by starting with checking
      the [Source] in OE rich-text emails as I write them and
      then "tweaking" it to see what changes in the [Edit] or
      [Preview] views. Same "baby steps" approach in Ntb clips
      has taught me enough about Perl to learn to accomplish
      some useful tasks with it.

      > ... That way you should learn a lot. I find creation
      more interesting than "breaking stuff"...

      Me too, but at least IME one of the best ways to learn
      something new is to try "breaking" something that's
      working, then try putting it back together with bit "A"
      swapped for bit "B" or replaced by "A-prime".

      > ... Beating the system was primarily of interest as a
      teenager, which is why most script-kiddies are just that,
      school kids, AFAIK. Just so you know what group we are
      talking about here...

      I'm 52 - still a kid at heart and I hope for decades to
      come ;-)

      > You might find that trying to implement an idea you
      have for a program is far more interesting and a far
      greater challenge.

      Agree AND disagree! 8-) see above.

      Any links, references you've got would be appreciated. A
      while back, I briefly monitored a "cracking" news group,
      and as we'd both expect it was 97% "I wanna crack for
      ...."

      Regards ... Alec