Personal Browser Wars (Crazy Browser vs. Mozilla 1.1a)

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2002
      I'm having my own "browser war".
      I'm trying to decide which browser I should make my default - (mostly important to me in terms of which one is going to get used when I open a link from OExpress mail client (or click a link in Outlook or an html file.)

      I'm not too concerned about fidelity of rendering etc. since I browse much more than compose HTML, so the big problem is finding the one that makes that the browsing process most pain-free.

      I've been using CrazyBrowser (free Netcaptor, tabbed IE-based clone) for the last couple of weeks - I've discovered I can't live with out the tabbed interface and the ability to open a "group" of URL's simultaneously. If only it had support for the Google toolbar! (My partial workaround is to make Google my home page and stick it on the Links bar as well. Its "almost" as good except that CB doesn't let me do Google style highlighting).

      I got both Mozilla 1.0 and 1.1a yesterday and at first thought that I could use Mozilla 1.1a as my MAIN browser. Unfortunately, Mozilla seems to only partially support the tabbed interface. You can set preferences so that middle-mouse opens (or closes) a link from the page you're reading in a tab rather than a separate task/window - that's GOOD, but I haven't found any way to have multiple bookmarks opened to separate tabs in an existing window rather than open separate (new) windows for each bookmark. Even worse (I really don't need the multiple bookmarks feature very much) is that EVERY link clicked externally (from OE or Outlook, or just on a local HTML file) also opens a separate Mozilla window.

      Has anyone been deep enough into the preferences/options of Mozilla to know whether I've just overlooked something and/or keep up with the Mozilla roadmap well enough to know whether what I want is in the development pipeline?

      My apologies for a more nitty-gritty question than usually gets posted here (and to those on both powertoolssoftware and ntb-off-topic lists) but I'm hoping someone's got the expertise to point me in the right direction.

      Regards ... Alec