Unicode / UTF-8 encoding Question.

  • LaurieK
    Message 1 of 1 , May 21, 2002
      I am posting this to the NTO group because it does involved NoteTab but also
      2 other applications, please read on....

      I use a program call Vault to gather information
      (http://www.personalmicrocosms.com/)
      This program allows you to gather straight text information and save it in a
      'tree' format or hierarchy. I've been using thsi prorm for about 6 years
      now..... the program has evolved to the point where there is an option to
      export the entire file, a portion of the "tree", for instance one branch, or
      even just one sub-note to either a *.txt, *.html, *.xml.

      When I export any part of the document, I can open it in Internet Explorer
      by double clicking, however, when I open it with FrontPage, I get the
      following error:

      FrontPage cannot open this page, because it is in Unicode
      format. Please use the UTF-8 encoding for
      storing Unicode in HTML page.

      Now, here is where NoteTab comes into play. After I create these documents
      and cannot open them in FrontPage, I open NoteTab and attempt to edit them,
      changing the HTML coding at the top and bottom and attempt to add my link to
      my .css file... BUT, the file does not allow me to edit it. I check the
      attributes and the file is NOT write protected or read only, so I figure it
      has SOMETHING to do with this Unicode/UTF-8 stuff which I have no idea how
      to handle. It will not allow me to edit the file at all.

      If I export the file to a standard ascii or *.txt file and then open it in
      NoteTab and add the HTML code from one of the clip libraries to the
      beginning and end of the page and save it, I then open it in the browser and
      the entire text is one HUGE paragraph, all paragraphs or double spacing
      between paragraphs is lost.

      So, is this a UTF-8 thing?
      Is it the export option from Vault?
      Does anyone know how/what to do with FrontPage to configure it to view these
      UTF-8 style documents?

      This may not be the right venue for these questions, except my major concern
      is that I wish to manipulate the documents (God Bless I love the
      find/replace feature and use it all of the time) to edit them in one fell
      swoop......

      If you are unable to provide assistance, does anyone know the proper
      direction I need to walk and which path to take to obtain the type of
      assistance I am seeking?

      This is long, I'm sorry but its the frustration I am dealing with and I have
      just been assigned a major project which, if I can pull it off, might just
      lead to the creation of a job and one that I've been asking for ... for
      almost 5 years now.... I've put all of the data into Vault and it was a
      major feat to do this... if I have to copy/paste the entire data from Vault,
      then I'll have to do that, but we are talking MAJOR SUB-LEVELS, some are 10
      deep....argh, what a job.

      HELP!
      Thanks...
      Laurie