Re: CPU Speed, Heat, etc. (was Re: [NTO] Math MB > GB)

  • DA
    Message 1 of 20 , May 6, 2002
      Hi Jody,

      I've done that WalMart trick too. It sounds like you have
      everything thermal under control.

      DA

      Message 2 of 20 , May 7, 2002
        Hi DA,

        You know, if they do not sell them, I bet a fella in the A/C and
        Heating could fabricate a small A/C unit that could mount
        wherever and really have it done right then. ;)

        (Silly me forgot that the fax stuff on the other thread was a
        matter of making the fax the default printer, or selected printer
        when fax'n. I would image all the guy would have to do is setup
        his DUN (if not already, connect, go through the fax motions
        including picking the fax for the printer, and it should fly.)

        >I've done that WalMart trick too. It sounds like you have
        >everything thermal under control.
        >
        >DA
        >
        >> I hooked up my $8.98 floor/window fan from WalMart on the side
        >> of my computer.

      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 20 , May 7, 2002
          On 5/7/02 9:42 AM, Jody wrote:
          > Hi DA,
          >
          > You know, if they do not sell them, I bet a fella in the A/C and
          > Heating could fabricate a small A/C unit that could mount
          > wherever and really have it done right then. ;)

          Hi Jody, DA,

          Overclockers and other experimenters have already "Been there, Done
          that". Thermoelectric cooling units, and even, water(fluid) cooling
          units have been adapted to CPU's for quite a while now.

          The thermo-units are a solid state devices that has been around for some
          time that mounts on the cpu just like a cpu-fan, the fluid units are
          like a car radiator. A reservoir that water is circulated through is
          physically attached to the cpu.

          The water is circulated through the reservoir, just as an engine block,
          then out through a radiator to dissipate heat.

          hrs
        • Jim Hall
          Message 4 of 20 , May 7, 2002
            Jody,

            At 09:42 AM 5/7/2002 -0500, you wrote:
            >Hi DA,
            >
            >You know, if they do not sell them, I bet a fella in the A/C and
            >Heating could fabricate a small A/C unit that could mount
            >wherever and really have it done right then. ;)

            The old Cray SuperComputers had the CPU's and Ram in a refrigerator.:-)

            You can get cases today that come with A/C units.

            COOL is the word!!

            Jim
            Message 5 of 20 , May 7, 2002
              Hi Jim,

              >The old Cray SuperComputers had the CPU's and Ram in a refrigerator.:-)
              >
              >You can get cases today that come with A/C units.
              >
              >COOL is the word!!

              ARGH! That is as bad as my rectifiers humming because they
              forgot the words. ;)

            • DA
              Message 6 of 20 , May 7, 2002
                Hi Jody/Jim,

                I don't think Jim was joking, were you Jim?

                DA

                Jody wrote:

                > Hi Jim,
                >
                > >The old Cray SuperComputers had the CPU's and Ram in a refrigerator.:-)
                > >
                > >You can get cases today that come with A/C units.
                > >
                > >COOL is the word!!
                >
                > ARGH! That is as bad as my rectifiers humming because they
                > forgot the words. ;)
                >
                > Happy Topics,
                > Jody
                >
                > The NoteTab Off-Topic List
                > mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              • Jim Hall
                Message 7 of 20 , May 7, 2002
                  DA,

                  Nope, I was as serious as a heart attack, they really did.

                  Message 8 of 20 , May 8, 2002
                    Hi Jim,

                    I certainly believed they have/had the units. What I was talking
                    about was what I thought was a play on words. The refrigerators
                    were certainly cool, but they are "way too kewl" (COOL) also. ;)
                    Or, is COOL an acronym?

                    I think it was Harvey that mentioned they already had some type
                    of thermal control units. I was thinking more on the lines of an
                    everyday (miniature though) A/C unit say the size of a pwr supply
                    that would mount right inside a tower case where a pwr supply
                    would go. It would cool big time, and also draw the moisture
                    out of the air and help with corrosion. A long time NoteTabber,
                    Dr. ??? in Hawaii, told me that they had to buy new computers
                    every two years because of the humidly and salty air destroying
                    them.