[NTO] PDF files for free

  • Marco Bernardini
    Message 1 of 31 , May 15, 2000
      Hi all!
      I suppose many of you like to have PDF files in their sites, but Adobe
      Distiller (the official program to write them) is almost expensive.
      There is a way to create PDF files for free, using a converted Linux
      utility called GhostScript.
      http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/index.html

      Here is how to do:
      - install drivers for a color postscript printer like Textronic Phaser III
      (you don't need to buy it!) redirecting output to FILE instead of LPT1
      - install GhostScript and related programs (see the site)
      - from any program (even graphic ones!) make a print using PS printer, and
      rename the output as .ps (postscript file)
      - open the .ps file with GhostScript and export as PDF

      Oh, remember that Unix/Linux users are able to see directly .ps files, so,
      if your site has a multi-platform target, you can use them, too!

      Have fun!

      Marco Bernardini
      Message 31 of 31 , May 20, 2000
        Hi Marco,

        >> No, you are missing my whole point. Go for it; that is up to
        >> you. I'm all for it and one might get the idea that I do it
        >> myself if they were to see how many posts I make to the lists
        >> and a considerable amount off the lists helping NoteTabbers
        >> out. Just don't force me to do it else the Rebel will come out
        >> in me and I'll fight it! ;)
        >
        > In other words: "I help you, but don't ask for my help or I hit
        > you" ;-) Better not to cite Bukowski words about same
        > argument... but he says the same thing.

        No, that is not at all what I meant. I meant, please ask if I
        want help, but do not force it on me if I do not want it.

        Bye for now,
        Jody Adair
        Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

        http://www.sureword.com/sojourner