RE: CPU Speed, Heat, etc. (was Re: [NTO] Math MB > GB)

  • Nicholas Kormanik
    Message 1 of 20 , May 6, 2002
      "I've had the sides off my tower since day one and also got the large
      one for better air circulation."

      How in the world can you stand the noise? I'm, in fact, thinking of
      covering/boxing my own tower with some thick noise insulation material
      --- I love silence!

      Nicholas

      Message 2 of 20 , May 6, 2002
        Hi Jody,

        > I've had the sides off my tower since day one and also got the
        > large one for better air circulation.

        Just something to watch out for:
        I had a computer that would overheat the disk drives if I removed
        the cover because the fans then couldn't draw air over the drives.
        Removing the sides/cover upsets the air flow pattern.

        DA
        Message 3 of 20 , May 6, 2002
          Hi DA and Nick,

          >> I've had the sides off my tower since day one and also got the
          >> large one for better air circulation.

          > How in the world can you stand the noise? I'm, in fact,
          > thinking of covering/boxing my own tower with some thick noise
          > insulation material --- I love silence!

          I've been listening to machines making background noise for near
          30 years now. It is when I don't hear it that I start getting
          concerned. ;)

          Off topic warning... (DA, I replied to you below.)
          In large computer rooms, well outside the room itself somewhere,
          there are huge rectifiers which convert AC (480) to DC. The
          equipment I worked on varied but most of it had 24 huge batteries
          (about 1' across x 2' high x 2' deep). Each of those was a cell
          like in a car battery, the total making up the battery itself.
          The battery system was of course used as back up power, but also
          used to filter the DC from the rectifier outputs which would
          still have an AC ripple riding on the DC which is straight lined,
          at least on an Oscilloscope. The output of them is a pure -48VDC
          and was fed into each frame's power supplies having the shelves
          of large PCB's and then split up into the various low DC voltages
          needed. Anyhow, all that equipment makes a humming noise.

          Do you know why the rectifiers hum?

          scroll down

          down

          down

          Because they forgot the words, silly. ;)

          >Just something to watch out for:
          >I had a computer that would overheat the disk drives if I removed
          >the cover because the fans then couldn't draw air over the
          >drives. Removing the sides/cover upsets the air flow pattern.

          That makes good sense if one has all the fans installed he
          should. I have an onboard fan on my video card, one on the CPU,
          and one inside my pwr supply which sucks out. I hooked up my
          $8.98 floor/window fan from WalMart on the side of my computer.
          The pwr supply no longer has hot air blowing out the back, my
          hard drives cooled down considerably, and there is cool air
          flowing out the other side of the computer. (I have to check the
          CPU in CMOS.)

          Off topic warning...
          In the old days we had to have a number of those big fans on
          stands (like in public schools) to help keep the equipment cooled
          down because AC was not always there <g> so we sometimes had to
          go to emergency procedures 'cause the batteries were only good
          for so long, and one switch I was at in the Army did not have
          reliable generators. Civilians kept them up, so it was sort of
          out of our hands. Those were the good 'ol days when there were
          always problem to troubleshoot and quite a challenge to keep up
          and running. Some military Autovon switches back then would go
          down for days at a time. ;)

        • DA
          Message 4 of 20 , May 6, 2002
            Hi Jody,

            I've done that WalMart trick too. It sounds like you have
            everything thermal under control.

            DA

            Message 5 of 20 , May 7, 2002
              Hi DA,

              You know, if they do not sell them, I bet a fella in the A/C and
              Heating could fabricate a small A/C unit that could mount
              wherever and really have it done right then. ;)

              (Silly me forgot that the fax stuff on the other thread was a
              matter of making the fax the default printer, or selected printer
              when fax'n. I would image all the guy would have to do is setup
              his DUN (if not already, connect, go through the fax motions
              including picking the fax for the printer, and it should fly.)

              >I've done that WalMart trick too. It sounds like you have
              >everything thermal under control.
              >
              >DA
              >
              >> I hooked up my $8.98 floor/window fan from WalMart on the side
              >> of my computer.

            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 20 , May 7, 2002
                On 5/7/02 9:42 AM, Jody wrote:
                > Hi DA,
                >
                > You know, if they do not sell them, I bet a fella in the A/C and
                > Heating could fabricate a small A/C unit that could mount
                > wherever and really have it done right then. ;)

                Hi Jody, DA,

                Overclockers and other experimenters have already "Been there, Done
                that". Thermoelectric cooling units, and even, water(fluid) cooling
                units have been adapted to CPU's for quite a while now.

                The thermo-units are a solid state devices that has been around for some
                time that mounts on the cpu just like a cpu-fan, the fluid units are
                like a car radiator. A reservoir that water is circulated through is
                physically attached to the cpu.

                The water is circulated through the reservoir, just as an engine block,
                then out through a radiator to dissipate heat.

                hrs
              • Jim Hall
                Message 7 of 20 , May 7, 2002
                  Jody,

                  At 09:42 AM 5/7/2002 -0500, you wrote:
                  >Hi DA,
                  >
                  >You know, if they do not sell them, I bet a fella in the A/C and
                  >Heating could fabricate a small A/C unit that could mount
                  >wherever and really have it done right then. ;)

                  The old Cray SuperComputers had the CPU's and Ram in a refrigerator.:-)

                  You can get cases today that come with A/C units.

                  COOL is the word!!

                  Jim
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 7, 2002
                    Hi Jim,

                    >The old Cray SuperComputers had the CPU's and Ram in a refrigerator.:-)
                    >
                    >You can get cases today that come with A/C units.
                    >
                    >COOL is the word!!

                    ARGH! That is as bad as my rectifiers humming because they
                    forgot the words. ;)

                  • DA
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 7, 2002
                      Hi Jody/Jim,

                      I don't think Jim was joking, were you Jim?

                      DA

                      Message 10 of 20 , May 7, 2002
                        DA,

                        Nope, I was as serious as a heart attack, they really did.

                        Message 11 of 20 , May 8, 2002
                          Hi Jim,

                          I certainly believed they have/had the units. What I was talking
                          about was what I thought was a play on words. The refrigerators
                          were certainly cool, but they are "way too kewl" (COOL) also. ;)
                          Or, is COOL an acronym?

                          I think it was Harvey that mentioned they already had some type
                          of thermal control units. I was thinking more on the lines of an
                          everyday (miniature though) A/C unit say the size of a pwr supply
                          that would mount right inside a tower case where a pwr supply
                          would go. It would cool big time, and also draw the moisture
                          out of the air and help with corrosion. A long time NoteTabber,
                          Dr. ??? in Hawaii, told me that they had to buy new computers
                          every two years because of the humidly and salty air destroying
                          them.