Re: [NTO] Where and how can I change the program associated with a certein fileformat?

    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 2002
      Hi Dr. Raimund,

      There is not just a simple answer for that, because, at least I
      found, that it depends on the browser. You should just be able
      to go to the browser's properties and check the box(es) to make
      the browser the default browser for you. I do not know if it is
      XP, but NetCaptor is the only browser that will do what it is
      suppose to for me.

      You can manually edit your Windows Explorer File Options; check
      the View and Tools menu depending on your Windows flavor. When
      it comes up you can click on File Types and then everywhere you
      see either your old browser or the new, make sure that the new is
      good, and change the old to the new by clicking on Edit, Browse,
      etc.

      Another method, and probably the worst to do if you are not
      familiar with all the HTML stuff is to remove the file types
      completely. You need at least HTM and HTML. There will be
      others for Internet Shortcut, and a number that are preceded by
      URL. Personally, I would be hesitant about removing the latter
      mentioned. Windows may not want to build them back. Anyway,
      once you change the HTM and HTML go click on those file types.
      Windows should tell you there is no program listed to open it
      with. Choose the browser you want to use and check the box to
      Always use this program. (I normally keep the question checked
      if I want the browser to check to see if it is the default
      browser, since I do not change them that often anymore.)

      That last two methods edit the registry for you, but you can play
      around in it also if you feel brave.

      >I again have a simple question:
      >I recently changed my browser and now when I click on a .hltml-
      >file always a window pos up asking me to insert the path to the
      >no longer existing browser. How can I change that?

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2002
        Sir,
        This Wellesley College web page should give the information you need.

        Mike Hopkins
        ironmike@...

        > I recently changed my browser and now when I click on a .hltml-file always
        > window pos up asking me to insert the path to the no longer existing
        > browser. How can I change that?
        >
        > Thanks, Raimund.

      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 4 , May 7, 2002
          On 5/6/02 9:41 AM, Dr Schröder Raimund wrote:
          > Hello Note Tabers,
          >
          > I again have a simple question:
          > I recently changed my browser and now when I click on a .hltml-file
          always a
          > window pos up asking me to insert the path to the no longer existing
          > browser. How can I change that?
          >
          > Thanks, Raimund.

          Hi,

          In addition to the things Jody suggested you might download this Free PC
          magazine utility for manipulating file associations.

          It is named (FOA) for Freedom Of Associations. Here's the link.

          http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/download/0/1146/freedom.zip

          hrs