Re: CPU Speed, Heat, etc. (was Re: [NTO] Math MB > GB)

    Message 1 of 20 , May 6, 2002
      Hi DA and Len,

      Thanks for the replies!

      We normally keep the house at 74-78 degrees with a 1 degree A/C
      kick-in difference. (It's strange how we keep our houses in the
      winter/summer. We make it fairly cold in the summer all the way
      down to 74, but in the winter, we like it 80-82. ;)

      I've had the sides off my tower since day one and also got the
      large one for better air circulation. I have a PII ball bearing
      fan for my CPU, but did not get the others yet to mount on the
      back of the case. I'll try putting a full size floor fan by its
      side. My ceiling fan circulates enough air, but then I have to
      put up with the "cold" and papers blowing around.

      Off-topic...
      In the long distance telephone switches I use to work in we had
      to keep the A/C at 68 degrees which blew up from an A/D'd tile
      floor with large fans at the top of each bay, shelves for PCB's
      about 1' x 3' x 6' in metal cabinets about 3' deep. There were
      rows and rows of them. Man, it was always cold on the
      graveyard/maintenance shift. (We could only do maintenance from
      12:00 to 4-5:00am unless of course the whole switch went down -
      which happened in very rare cases due to redundancy.) Out of
      over 10 years of that work I never had one full outage. :)
      Companies like MCI have a fit when they start loosing 5 million
      an hour in billing revenue. <g>

      >I think the temperature is borderline, but acceptable. One of
      >the things to keep in mind is: What happens when the ambient
      >temperature goes up in the summer? My server has a thermostatic
      >fan, and you can really hear it kick in when the weather is hot.
      >(I don't have air conditioning) The higher temperatures usually
      >don't result in immediate failure, but reduce the life of the cpu
      >and all the other components too.

    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 20 , May 6, 2002
        Len,Jody, et al,

        At 09:28 AM 5/6/2002 -0700, you wrote:
        >Hi Jody, All;
        >
        >>FWIW, my CPU seems to run at about 140+ degrees F. I though that
        >>was pretty hot myself.
        >
        >The hottest I've seen my PIII 667 MHz run is about 25 deg F above
        >the ambient temperature. I have standard PS, Case and CPU fans.
        >I use MBProbe http://mbprobe.livewiredev.com/
        >to monitor the voltages, fan speeds and temps.
        >
        >Based on what I've read, AMD CPUs do run hotter than Intel units
        >and AMD gurus recommend using higher output CPU fans than those
        >normally used by system builders.

        FWIW

        The PIII will shut itself down if it over heats.

        The PIV will slow itself down until the temp is within normal operating range.

        The AMD's just burn themselves up (smoke and fire both).

        You can see the test results here:

        http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010917/heatvideo-01.html

        WATCH YOUR HEATSINKS & FANS

        BTW the thermal paste between your heatsink and processor will dry out in time and will not be as effective.

        It is a good idea to replace it every year or so, especially with these high speed/temperature processors.

        http://www.electronics-cooling.com/Resources/EC_Articles/SEP96/sep96_01.htm

        http://www.overclockers.com/articles531/

        Obviously, dirty fans are not good either.

        Just my 2 cents worth.

        Regards,

        Jim
      • Nicholas Kormanik
        Message 3 of 20 , May 6, 2002
          "I've had the sides off my tower since day one and also got the large
          one for better air circulation."

          How in the world can you stand the noise? I'm, in fact, thinking of
          covering/boxing my own tower with some thick noise insulation material
          --- I love silence!

          Nicholas

          We normally keep the house at 74-78 degrees with a 1 degree A/C kick-in
          difference. (It's strange how we keep our houses in the winter/summer.
          We make it fairly cold in the summer all the way down to 74, but in the
          winter, we like it 80-82. ;)

          I've had the sides off my tower since day one and also got the large one
          for better air circulation. I have a PII ball bearing fan for my CPU,
          but did not get the others yet to mount on the back of the case. I'll
          try putting a full size floor fan by its side. My ceiling fan
          circulates enough air, but then I have to put up with the "cold" and
          papers blowing around.

          Off-topic...
          In the long distance telephone switches I use to work in we had to keep
          the A/C at 68 degrees which blew up from an A/D'd tile floor with large
          fans at the top of each bay, shelves for PCB's about 1' x 3' x 6' in
          metal cabinets about 3' deep. There were rows and rows of them. Man,
          it was always cold on the graveyard/maintenance shift. (We could only
          do maintenance from 12:00 to 4-5:00am unless of course the whole switch
          went down - which happened in very rare cases due to redundancy.) Out
          of over 10 years of that work I never had one full outage. :) Companies
          like MCI have a fit when they start loosing 5 million an hour in billing
          revenue. <g>

          >I think the temperature is borderline, but acceptable. One of the
          >things to keep in mind is: What happens when the ambient temperature
          >goes up in the summer? My server has a thermostatic fan, and you can
          >really hear it kick in when the weather is hot. (I don't have air
          >conditioning) The higher temperatures usually don't result in
          >immediate failure, but reduce the life of the cpu and all the other
          >components too.

          The NoteTab Off-Topic List mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • DA
          Message 4 of 20 , May 6, 2002
            Hi Jody,

            > I've had the sides off my tower since day one and also got the
            > large one for better air circulation.

            Just something to watch out for:
            I had a computer that would overheat the disk drives if I removed
            the cover because the fans then couldn't draw air over the drives.
            Removing the sides/cover upsets the air flow pattern.

            DA
            Message 5 of 20 , May 6, 2002
              Hi DA and Nick,

              >> I've had the sides off my tower since day one and also got the
              >> large one for better air circulation.

              > How in the world can you stand the noise? I'm, in fact,
              > thinking of covering/boxing my own tower with some thick noise
              > insulation material --- I love silence!

              I've been listening to machines making background noise for near
              30 years now. It is when I don't hear it that I start getting
              concerned. ;)

              Off topic warning... (DA, I replied to you below.)
              In large computer rooms, well outside the room itself somewhere,
              there are huge rectifiers which convert AC (480) to DC. The
              equipment I worked on varied but most of it had 24 huge batteries
              (about 1' across x 2' high x 2' deep). Each of those was a cell
              like in a car battery, the total making up the battery itself.
              The battery system was of course used as back up power, but also
              used to filter the DC from the rectifier outputs which would
              still have an AC ripple riding on the DC which is straight lined,
              at least on an Oscilloscope. The output of them is a pure -48VDC
              and was fed into each frame's power supplies having the shelves
              of large PCB's and then split up into the various low DC voltages
              needed. Anyhow, all that equipment makes a humming noise.

              Do you know why the rectifiers hum?

              scroll down

              down

              down

              Because they forgot the words, silly. ;)

              >Just something to watch out for:
              >I had a computer that would overheat the disk drives if I removed
              >the cover because the fans then couldn't draw air over the
              >drives. Removing the sides/cover upsets the air flow pattern.

              That makes good sense if one has all the fans installed he
              should. I have an onboard fan on my video card, one on the CPU,
              and one inside my pwr supply which sucks out. I hooked up my
              $8.98 floor/window fan from WalMart on the side of my computer.
              The pwr supply no longer has hot air blowing out the back, my
              hard drives cooled down considerably, and there is cool air
              flowing out the other side of the computer. (I have to check the
              CPU in CMOS.)

              Off topic warning...
              In the old days we had to have a number of those big fans on
              stands (like in public schools) to help keep the equipment cooled
              down because AC was not always there <g> so we sometimes had to
              go to emergency procedures 'cause the batteries were only good
              for so long, and one switch I was at in the Army did not have
              reliable generators. Civilians kept them up, so it was sort of
              out of our hands. Those were the good 'ol days when there were
              always problem to troubleshoot and quite a challenge to keep up
              and running. Some military Autovon switches back then would go
              down for days at a time. ;)

            • DA
              Message 6 of 20 , May 6, 2002
                Hi Jody,

                I've done that WalMart trick too. It sounds like you have
                everything thermal under control.

                DA

                Message 7 of 20 , May 7, 2002
                  Hi DA,

                  You know, if they do not sell them, I bet a fella in the A/C and
                  Heating could fabricate a small A/C unit that could mount
                  wherever and really have it done right then. ;)

                  (Silly me forgot that the fax stuff on the other thread was a
                  matter of making the fax the default printer, or selected printer
                  when fax'n. I would image all the guy would have to do is setup
                  his DUN (if not already, connect, go through the fax motions
                  including picking the fax for the printer, and it should fly.)

                  >I've done that WalMart trick too. It sounds like you have
                  >everything thermal under control.
                  >
                  >DA
                  >
                  >> I hooked up my $8.98 floor/window fan from WalMart on the side
                  >> of my computer.

                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 7, 2002
                    On 5/7/02 9:42 AM, Jody wrote:
                    > Hi DA,
                    >
                    > You know, if they do not sell them, I bet a fella in the A/C and
                    > Heating could fabricate a small A/C unit that could mount
                    > wherever and really have it done right then. ;)

                    Hi Jody, DA,

                    Overclockers and other experimenters have already "Been there, Done
                    that". Thermoelectric cooling units, and even, water(fluid) cooling
                    units have been adapted to CPU's for quite a while now.

                    The thermo-units are a solid state devices that has been around for some
                    time that mounts on the cpu just like a cpu-fan, the fluid units are
                    like a car radiator. A reservoir that water is circulated through is
                    physically attached to the cpu.

                    The water is circulated through the reservoir, just as an engine block,
                    then out through a radiator to dissipate heat.

                    hrs
                  • Jim Hall
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 7, 2002
                      Jody,

                      At 09:42 AM 5/7/2002 -0500, you wrote:
                      >Hi DA,
                      >
                      >You know, if they do not sell them, I bet a fella in the A/C and
                      >Heating could fabricate a small A/C unit that could mount
                      >wherever and really have it done right then. ;)

                      The old Cray SuperComputers had the CPU's and Ram in a refrigerator.:-)

                      You can get cases today that come with A/C units.

                      COOL is the word!!

                      Jim
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 7, 2002
                        Hi Jim,

                        >The old Cray SuperComputers had the CPU's and Ram in a refrigerator.:-)
                        >
                        >You can get cases today that come with A/C units.
                        >
                        >COOL is the word!!

                        ARGH! That is as bad as my rectifiers humming because they
                        forgot the words. ;)

                      • DA
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 7, 2002
                          Hi Jody/Jim,

                          I don't think Jim was joking, were you Jim?

                          DA

                          Message 12 of 20 , May 7, 2002
                            DA,

                            Nope, I was as serious as a heart attack, they really did.

                            Message 13 of 20 , May 8, 2002
                              Hi Jim,

                              I certainly believed they have/had the units. What I was talking
                              about was what I thought was a play on words. The refrigerators
                              were certainly cool, but they are "way too kewl" (COOL) also. ;)
                              Or, is COOL an acronym?

                              I think it was Harvey that mentioned they already had some type
                              of thermal control units. I was thinking more on the lines of an
                              everyday (miniature though) A/C unit say the size of a pwr supply
                              that would mount right inside a tower case where a pwr supply
                              would go. It would cool big time, and also draw the moisture
                              out of the air and help with corrosion. A long time NoteTabber,
                              Dr. ??? in Hawaii, told me that they had to buy new computers
                              every two years because of the humidly and salty air destroying
                              them.