Where and how can I change the program associated with a certein fileformat?

  • Dr. Schröder Raimund
    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 2002
      Hello Note Tabers,

      I again have a simple question:
      I recently changed my browser and now when I click on a .hltml-file always a
      window pos up asking me to insert the path to the no longer existing
      browser. How can I change that?

      Thanks, Raimund.
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2002
        Hi Dr. Raimund,

        There is not just a simple answer for that, because, at least I
        found, that it depends on the browser. You should just be able
        to go to the browser's properties and check the box(es) to make
        the browser the default browser for you. I do not know if it is
        XP, but NetCaptor is the only browser that will do what it is
        suppose to for me.

        You can manually edit your Windows Explorer File Options; check
        the View and Tools menu depending on your Windows flavor. When
        it comes up you can click on File Types and then everywhere you
        see either your old browser or the new, make sure that the new is
        good, and change the old to the new by clicking on Edit, Browse,
        etc.

        Another method, and probably the worst to do if you are not
        familiar with all the HTML stuff is to remove the file types
        completely. You need at least HTM and HTML. There will be
        others for Internet Shortcut, and a number that are preceded by
        URL. Personally, I would be hesitant about removing the latter
        mentioned. Windows may not want to build them back. Anyway,
        once you change the HTM and HTML go click on those file types.
        Windows should tell you there is no program listed to open it
        with. Choose the browser you want to use and check the box to
        Always use this program. (I normally keep the question checked
        if I want the browser to check to see if it is the default
        browser, since I do not change them that often anymore.)

        That last two methods edit the registry for you, but you can play
        around in it also if you feel brave.

        >I again have a simple question:
        >I recently changed my browser and now when I click on a .hltml-
        >file always a window pos up asking me to insert the path to the
        >no longer existing browser. How can I change that?

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 2002
          Sir,
          This Wellesley College web page should give the information you need.

          Mike Hopkins
          ironmike@...

          > I recently changed my browser and now when I click on a .hltml-file always
          > window pos up asking me to insert the path to the no longer existing
          > browser. How can I change that?
          >
          > Thanks, Raimund.

        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 4 , May 7, 2002
            On 5/6/02 9:41 AM, Dr Schröder Raimund wrote:
            > Hello Note Tabers,
            >
            > I again have a simple question:
            > I recently changed my browser and now when I click on a .hltml-file
            always a
            > window pos up asking me to insert the path to the no longer existing
            > browser. How can I change that?
            >
            > Thanks, Raimund.

            Hi,

            In addition to the things Jody suggested you might download this Free PC
            magazine utility for manipulating file associations.

            It is named (FOA) for Freedom Of Associations. Here's the link.

            http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/download/0/1146/freedom.zip

            hrs