Re: [NTO] DLL Remover

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2002
      Jody:

      > I used to have an excellent freeware utility to remove
      dlls not
      > used. I cannot find it presently. Does anybody know
      of a
      > freeware version that supports XP?

      How about FindOrphans (from PCMag)
      http://discuss.pcmag.com/dir-app/index/msg/message.asp/pc
      mag/4281/1/

      Note: Its not specifically updated for WinXP but is
      probably worth a shot. At least you can review what it
      suggests.

      Regards ... Alec

        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2002
          Hi Alec and Others,

          >The link Wendy gave went to something called "the
          >Thinking Man's Thesarus"
          >
          >I think the one Wendy meant was:
          >http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/#clnsys (maybe the same
          >author?)

          That's the one I had before (I remember by his home page <g>). I
          liked it mainly because my computer always worked after it was
          done, placed the removed files in backup just in case 1 or more
          were removed that should have not been. "Not for WinME, WinNT,
          Win2000 or later" does not look to hopeful. I'll check out the
          others folks. Alec, about the size of drives: that is not really
          my concern as far as freeing up drive space - although it helps
          me at times when I get one of my partitions too big. I mainly
          try to stay at peak performance. I realize it is said they do
          not hurt anything just leaving them there, but IMO it does - not
          grave, but performance overall. There are just that many more
          files to search through to find things either with a script or
          manually and I just can't help but think there is more work going
          on in places. I can notice a difference after doing many files,
          or did should I say.