How can I change Microsoft-Fax connection?

  • Dr. Schröder Raimund
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27, 2002
      Hello NoteTabers,

      I am pretty sure that this might not be the right forum, but I don't know
      any other forum. I have my Internet connection installed on my computer over
      a DSL-modem and have another modem installed, too. I would like to send my
      faxes over the other modem but whenever I want to do that the DSL-connection
      is called up. Where and how can I change to my "normal" modem?

      Thanks, Raimund.
      Message 2 of 3 , May 6 4:09 PM
        Hi Dr. Schröder,

        Beats me how you would, but can't you setup a DUN like you did in
        older times, connect, and then send the fax? If it automatically
        tries to open your DSL anyway, perhaps there is an option like in
        Printers to set the default.

        >I am pretty sure that this might not be the right forum, but I
        >don't know any other forum. I have my Internet connection
        >installed on my computer over a DSL-modem and have another modem
        >installed, too. I would like to send my faxes over the other
        >modem but whenever I want to do that the DSL-connection is called
        >up. Where and how can I change to my "normal" modem?

      • DA
        Message 3 of 3 , May 6 6:30 PM
          Hi Dr. Schroder,

          I don't know which OS you are using or what fax software you have,
          but on my Win98 system I have RingCentral Fax and you select the
          port you want it to use in the printers window.

          On my Win2k system that has WinFax, also has a port selection in the
          "Printers" window.

          Go to Control Panel|Printers

          Right click on your fax software then select properties

          On Win98 my port selection is under the "details" tab.

          On Win2k my port selection is under the "ports" tab.

          You might have to go to Control Panel|Phone and Modem Options to see
          what COM port your phone modem is connected to. In Win98 it is
          Control Panel|Modems that shows which COM port is attached to your
          modem.

          I don't have a DSL modem so I can't be sure this will work for
          you, but I do have multiple phone modems installed and this
          is how I select which modem to use.

          DA