Re: [NTO] Extract Text

  • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 6, 2002

      I wrote:

      >grep "RegularExp" <Input.txt >Output.txt

      If you want to use grep from within NoteTab to extract lines from
      one open document into a new document, this clip will do it:

      H="Grep Test"
      ; Make sure this points to your path to grep.exe
      ^!Set %Grep%="C:\grep.exe"
      ^!Set %Grep%=^$GetShort("^%Grep%")$

      ; Prompts for search expression
      ^!Set %RegEx%="^?{Search for Regular Expression}"

      ; Do the magic!
      ^!Set %Temp%="^$GetInputOutput(^%Grep% "^%RegEx%")$"

      ; Pastes results into a new document.
      ^!Toolbar "New Document"
      ^!InsertText ^%Temp%

      I may post a Perl example later, but I am out of time for now.

      FooteNote:

      The Set and InsertText commands may fail if the document you
      are searching has lines that too closely resemble NoteTab
      clip code. In that case you can changing them to SetCode
      and InsertCode. But then it may fail if the total results
      returned exceed NoteTab's maximum paragraph size.
    • future.com@vsnl.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 7, 2002
        Sir/Madam

        Thanks for a very quick and instant reply.

        But GREP returns lines containg the pattern while I want words matching the
        given pattern. Any suggestion?

        s k agrawal

        At 03:14 PM 4/6/02 -0800, you wrote:

        >>Srish Agrawal wrote:
        >>
        >>>May some body advice me a free utility which can extract words
        >>>from a .txt file based on a given Regular Expression and save
        >>>the extracted words in another .txt file?
        >
        >I wrote:
        >>
        >>grep "RegularExp" <Input.txt >Output.txt
        >>

        >If you want to use grep from within NoteTab to extract lines from
        >one open document into a new document, this clip will do it:
        >
        >H="Grep Test"
        >; Make sure this points to your path to grep.exe
        >^!Set %Grep%="C:\grep.exe"
        >^!Set %Grep%=^$GetShort("^%Grep%")$
        >
        >; Prompts for search expression
        >^!Set %RegEx%="^?{Search for Regular Expression}"
        >
        >; Do the magic!
        >^!Set %Temp%="^$GetInputOutput(^%Grep% "^%RegEx%")$"
        >
        >; Pastes results into a new document.
        >^!Toolbar "New Document"
        >^!InsertText ^%Temp%
        >

        >I may post a Perl example later, but I am out of time for now.
        >
        >FooteNote:
        >
        >The Set and InsertText commands may fail if the document you
        >are searching has lines that too closely resemble NoteTab
        >clip code. In that case you can changing them to SetCode
        >and InsertCode. But then it may fail if the total results
        >returned exceed NoteTab's maximum paragraph size.

        >---
        >Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

      • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 7, 2002
          On Sun, 07 Apr 2002 19:31:41 +0500, you wrote:

          >Sir/Madam
          >
          >Thanks for a very quick and instant reply.
          >
          >But GREP returns lines containg the pattern while I want words matching the
          >given pattern. Any suggestion?

          Here is an example of how to do this using Perl and NoteTabs ^!RunPerl
          command. Remember to set $find = to your own regular expression.

          H="RunMyPerlScript"
          ^!Toolbar "Copy All"
          ^!Toolbar "Paste New"
          ^!RunPerl "MyPerlScript"

          H="_MyPerlScript"

          #perl

          $find = "[a-z]*ee[a-z]*";

          while (<>) {
          while ( m/\b($find)\b/ig ) { $found{"$1"}=1 };
          };

          foreach $key (sort keys %found) { print $key, "\n" };