Re: [NTO] Re: Test Email After Yahoo broke free email 20 day early!

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 6, 2002
      Christopher,

      This knowledge base article has the answer:

      http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q302721

      Basically there is no POP3 email inbox for people in my situation, we
      created the account using the latest version of MSN (my new PC is WinXP
      Home, MSN version 6.x). MSN 6.x creates an HTTP email account. ONLY accounts
      created with an earlier version of MSN have a pre-existing POP3 account to
      be set back to.

      So, MS does not want any technologically savvy person to use MSN. They are
      trying to imitate AOL too much in this regard. I want to get my email in the
      email client of my choice (not Outlook Express). I get all kinds of spam in
      that account anyway, even though I never use it. Another way that MSN is
      trying too much to be AOL.

      Since it is "free", I guess I cannot complain. But I will not be paying for
      it once the "free" runs out.

      Does anyone know if there is a nation-wide ISP that does not force you to
      use a program to make the connection? I just want a simple DUN connection,
      so I do not need to waste my disk space on a multi-megabyt program just to
      get an internet connection. I do not travel very much, but when I do it is
      nice to be able to get online anywhere.

      Thanks for the informatinon!

      Larry

      > I do not know enough to comment further on this for you. I
      > do not use Outlook Express, myself. I use Outlook 98 (meets my
      > needs) and I do not use web based e-mail clients (Hotmail, Yahoo.
      > et cetera).
      >
      > I did find this on Microsfot Knowledge Base:
      > <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q174810&
    • Mark Woods
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 6, 2002
        Larry,

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 7, 2002
          Hi Larry, Mark;

          I have also had very good results using the EarthLink manual installation and Eudora. Len Hargrove