Re: [NTO] Re: Test Email After Yahoo broke free email 20 day early!

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 6, 2002
      Christopher/Raenie,

      When I try to check my MSN(Hotmail) account, it says that my address appears
      to be invalid when I try to save it. It is the same address that works with
      the MSN browser. I have it set to HTTP rather than POP. Then it gives some
      other message that it cannot connect.

      I had a free Hotmail account a couple years ago, and I could get it to work
      with Outlook Express. It seems to me that MS changed something, or the
      Hotmail/OE combination does not like "_" in the email address, even though
      it works on the web.

      I do not plan to stay with MSN once my free year expires in October, a local
      ISP will be much cheaper and then I can use my email client of choice.

      Thanks for all your suggestions!

      Larry

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 6, 2002
        Larry,

        RE: When I try to check my MSN (Hotmail) account, it says
        that my address appears to be invalid when I try to save it. It
        is the same address that works with the MSN browser. I have it
        set to HTTP rather than POP. Then it gives some other message
        that it cannot connect.

        I do not know enough to comment further on this for you. I
        do not use Outlook Express, myself. I use Outlook 98 (meets my
        needs) and I do not use web based e-mail clients (Hotmail, Yahoo.
        et cetera).

        I did find this on Microsfot Knowledge Base:
        <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q174810&
        GSSNB=1> {full URL between < and >}. It is a little vague, I'll
        admit, but, the closest I found for an answer.

        Perhaps there are others "out there" that can help / comment
        furhter.

        I do thank you for your input. If I ever have need to help
        someone face-to-face with this and find a solution (before your
        October Hotmail/MSN expiration! :) ), I will let you know.

        Regards,
        Christopher J. Spilker
        mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 6, 2002
          Christopher,

          This knowledge base article has the answer:

          http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q302721

          Basically there is no POP3 email inbox for people in my situation, we
          created the account using the latest version of MSN (my new PC is WinXP
          Home, MSN version 6.x). MSN 6.x creates an HTTP email account. ONLY accounts
          created with an earlier version of MSN have a pre-existing POP3 account to
          be set back to.

          So, MS does not want any technologically savvy person to use MSN. They are
          trying to imitate AOL too much in this regard. I want to get my email in the
          email client of my choice (not Outlook Express). I get all kinds of spam in
          that account anyway, even though I never use it. Another way that MSN is
          trying too much to be AOL.

          Since it is "free", I guess I cannot complain. But I will not be paying for
          it once the "free" runs out.

          Does anyone know if there is a nation-wide ISP that does not force you to
          use a program to make the connection? I just want a simple DUN connection,
          so I do not need to waste my disk space on a multi-megabyt program just to
          get an internet connection. I do not travel very much, but when I do it is
          nice to be able to get online anywhere.

          Thanks for the informatinon!

          Larry

          > I do not know enough to comment further on this for you. I
          > do not use Outlook Express, myself. I use Outlook 98 (meets my
          > needs) and I do not use web based e-mail clients (Hotmail, Yahoo.
          > et cetera).
          >
          > I did find this on Microsfot Knowledge Base:
          > <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q174810&
        • Mark Woods
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 6, 2002
            Larry,

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 7, 2002
              Hi Larry, Mark;

              I have also had very good results using the EarthLink manual installation and Eudora. Len Hargrove