Re: Test Email After Yahoo broke free email 20 day early!

  • mon_iker
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 6 4:53 AM
      Hello Christopher,

      This description strikes me as odd. I've been using OE and Hotmail
      as a combination for years. I *do* receive a message when new mail
      is sent to my "primary" Hotmail account.

      I *can* "reply" to a message and it goes through Hotmail.

      Hotmail is *not* a (stand alone) POP3 or SMTP account. It works
      together with Outlook Express. Wish I had more technical knowledge
      to explain the details <heeh>.

      ~Raenie

      btw, *thank you* for your advice, way back when, about building
      a "Network". I did build it, but am still caught up in refining it.
      <lol>

      --- In ntb-OffTopic@y..., "Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker" <CHRIS-

    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 6 6:30 AM
        Christopher/Raenie,

        When I try to check my MSN(Hotmail) account, it says that my address appears
        to be invalid when I try to save it. It is the same address that works with
        the MSN browser. I have it set to HTTP rather than POP. Then it gives some
        other message that it cannot connect.

        I had a free Hotmail account a couple years ago, and I could get it to work
        with Outlook Express. It seems to me that MS changed something, or the
        Hotmail/OE combination does not like "_" in the email address, even though
        it works on the web.

        I do not plan to stay with MSN once my free year expires in October, a local
        ISP will be much cheaper and then I can use my email client of choice.

        Thanks for all your suggestions!

        Larry

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 6 9:42 AM
          Larry,

          RE: When I try to check my MSN (Hotmail) account, it says
          that my address appears to be invalid when I try to save it. It
          is the same address that works with the MSN browser. I have it
          set to HTTP rather than POP. Then it gives some other message
          that it cannot connect.

          I do not know enough to comment further on this for you. I
          do not use Outlook Express, myself. I use Outlook 98 (meets my
          needs) and I do not use web based e-mail clients (Hotmail, Yahoo.
          et cetera).

          I did find this on Microsfot Knowledge Base:
          <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q174810&
          GSSNB=1> {full URL between < and >}. It is a little vague, I'll
          admit, but, the closest I found for an answer.

          Perhaps there are others "out there" that can help / comment
          furhter.

          I do thank you for your input. If I ever have need to help
          someone face-to-face with this and find a solution (before your
          October Hotmail/MSN expiration! :) ), I will let you know.

          Regards,
          Christopher J. Spilker
          mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 6 12:14 PM
            Christopher,

            This knowledge base article has the answer:

            http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q302721

            Basically there is no POP3 email inbox for people in my situation, we
            created the account using the latest version of MSN (my new PC is WinXP
            Home, MSN version 6.x). MSN 6.x creates an HTTP email account. ONLY accounts
            created with an earlier version of MSN have a pre-existing POP3 account to
            be set back to.

            So, MS does not want any technologically savvy person to use MSN. They are
            trying to imitate AOL too much in this regard. I want to get my email in the
            email client of my choice (not Outlook Express). I get all kinds of spam in
            that account anyway, even though I never use it. Another way that MSN is
            trying too much to be AOL.

            Since it is "free", I guess I cannot complain. But I will not be paying for
            it once the "free" runs out.

            Does anyone know if there is a nation-wide ISP that does not force you to
            use a program to make the connection? I just want a simple DUN connection,
            so I do not need to waste my disk space on a multi-megabyt program just to
            get an internet connection. I do not travel very much, but when I do it is
            nice to be able to get online anywhere.

            Thanks for the informatinon!

            Larry

            > I do not know enough to comment further on this for you. I
            > do not use Outlook Express, myself. I use Outlook 98 (meets my
            > needs) and I do not use web based e-mail clients (Hotmail, Yahoo.
            > et cetera).
            >
            > I did find this on Microsfot Knowledge Base:
            > <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q174810&
          • Mark Woods
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 6 6:27 PM
              Larry,

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 7 9:18 AM
                Hi Larry, Mark;

                I have also had very good results using the EarthLink manual installation and Eudora. Len Hargrove