News NNTP server

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2002
      Hi All,

      Using MS Outlook Express 5.5 under Win98, I once was able to download the
      names of ALL the Usenet newsgroups. It was then a simple mater of
      highlighting a specific one and clicking on Subscribe.

      I must have accidentally deleted the folder containing all those newsgroup
      names (there were well over a thousand of them). Now, I cant get OE to
      reacquire the names. When I click Tools | Accounts... and select the News tab
      then the Add tab followed by the News tab, I get into a wizard that asks for
      my name and email address and then presents me with a list box for News NNTP
      server. Does anyone have any idea where I can find an appropriate name for my
      News NNTP server?

      Is there an alternate way to get my OE to find all the newsgroups available on
      my server?

      Thanks for the help.

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ
    • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2002
        Ray,

        The name of your News NNTP Server is provided by your
        Internet Service Provider. Call them and they will {should} help
        you. Sounds like the name somehow got deleted from your OE
        account settings.

        Regards,
        Christopher J. Spilker
        mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2002
          Hi Christopher,

          I guessed at the server name by concatenating the word "news" with the name of
          my ISP. In my case, that's news.erols.com It worked perfectly. It now
          shows over 40,000 newsgroups!

          Thanks for your help.

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2002
            Ray,

            Glad to be of help. Nice detective work on your part.

            Regards,
            Christopher J. Spilker
            mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...