Re: [NTO] Windows 2000 Professional .... need an expert

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 4, 2002
      Bill,
      At 08:42 PM 4/2/2002 -0800, you wrote:
      >Hi all:
      >I got back from my vacation to find that my administrators
      >password is not valid anymore ... does anyone know what I might
      >do .... I have all of my passwords written down and when I changed
      >them so I know I am using the right one .... baffled ????

      I just remembered I also had 2K on this machine so I booted up in 2K and took a looksee.

      You want to goto:

      CONTROL PANEL>ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS>COMPUTER MANAGEMENT>LOCAL USERS AND GROUPS>USERS>ADMINISTRATOR and on the GENERAL TAB of your ADMINISTRATOR PROPERTIES check the box that says PASSWORD NEVER EXPIRES.

      BTW FWIW it works exactly the same in XP.

      That is if it will let you. :-)

      Regards,

      Jim
    • mon_iker
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 4, 2002
        Larry,

        Outlook Express can be set up to access your email messages
        at "Hotmail". I have several accounts, I can check for new messages
        while online and decide if I want to download them to O.E. for "off
        line" viewing.

        ~Raenie

        --- In ntb-OffTopic@y..., "Larry Hamilton" <lmh@h...> wrote:
        > Jody,
        >
        > Everyone with a Yahoo email account got this last week (see
        below). It> means if you want the free email you can only use the
        webmail version. If> you want to use an email client, you will have
        to pay for it. I prefer to> have the use of an email client that I
        can archive my email with Mailbag.
        > Webmail is too slow over dialup. I have done some quick research
        and most of> the free email offerings have dried up. One that I liked
        but had trouble> with eGroups, is still available, but they state
        that they do not work with> YahooGroups lists. Basically, I will have
        to pay or use an extra email> address from HNGS. I have a year of
        free MSN that came with my new PC, but I> do not see anything in help
        on how to make it work with OE. MSN forces the> MSN Browser and email
        client on you, so I just close the browser and use IE,> etc. My MSN
        email account only catches SPAM, and I never use it! It should
        > not be this hard to use something as basic as email. I may have to
        lobby> Eric to provide Mailbag support for the latest version of
        Juno! ;-)
        <snip>
      • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 4, 2002
          This is for Larry:

          RE: Using Outlook Express for Hotmail {courtesy of
          TechRepublic.com and Microsoft Knowledge Base}

          USING HOTMAIL IN OUTLOOK EXPRESS
          One of the commonly asked questions about Outlook Express is if
          it can be used to access Hotmail accounts. The answer in the past
          has been “sort of.”

          Since Outlook Express supports Web access within the folder pane,
          users could create an Outlook Bar shortcut to the Hotmail Web
          site and access Hotmail through that folder pane. However, this
          really doesn’t integrate Hotmail with the Outlook client.
          To get better integration with Hotmail, users can try this trick:

          1. Go to Tools | Accounts
          2. Click the Add button in the Internet Accounts dialog box and
          then select Mail. Click Next.
          3. Type the name to be displayed in the Display Name field. Click
          Next.
          4. Add a new Hotmail e-mail account or point to an existing
          Hotmail account in the E-mail Address field. Click Next.
          5. Verify that My Incoming Mail Server Is A HTTP Server and that
          it says My HTTP Mail Service Provider Is Hotmail. Click Next.
          6. Type your Hotmail account name in the Account Name field, and
          enter your password in the Password field. Click Next and then
          Finish.

          SEVERAL COMPLICATIONS TO NOTE:

          Users can receive e-mail, but not send messages, from their
          Hotmail accounts when set up this way. (Of course, they can still
          respond to Hotmail messages via their regular Internet accounts.)

          NOTE: The previous item is NOT true! See the NEXT e-mail
          {Larry, NOT included here} message for the RETRACTION of the
          above statement.

          Users will not receive a notification when new messages arrive in
          their Hotmail accounts.

          For more information about the known issues with Hotmail and
          Outlook Express, read the MS Knowledge Base article Q222984.

          http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q222/9/84.ASP

          I hope this helps you out.

          Regards,
          Christopher J. Spilker
          mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
        • mon_iker
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 6, 2002
            Hello Christopher,

            This description strikes me as odd. I've been using OE and Hotmail
            as a combination for years. I *do* receive a message when new mail
            is sent to my "primary" Hotmail account.

            I *can* "reply" to a message and it goes through Hotmail.

            Hotmail is *not* a (stand alone) POP3 or SMTP account. It works
            together with Outlook Express. Wish I had more technical knowledge
            to explain the details <heeh>.

            ~Raenie

            btw, *thank you* for your advice, way back when, about building
            a "Network". I did build it, but am still caught up in refining it.
            <lol>

            --- In ntb-OffTopic@y..., "Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker" <CHRIS-

          • Larry Hamilton
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 6, 2002
              Christopher/Raenie,

              When I try to check my MSN(Hotmail) account, it says that my address appears
              to be invalid when I try to save it. It is the same address that works with
              the MSN browser. I have it set to HTTP rather than POP. Then it gives some
              other message that it cannot connect.

              I had a free Hotmail account a couple years ago, and I could get it to work
              with Outlook Express. It seems to me that MS changed something, or the
              Hotmail/OE combination does not like "_" in the email address, even though
              it works on the web.

              I do not plan to stay with MSN once my free year expires in October, a local
              ISP will be much cheaper and then I can use my email client of choice.

              Thanks for all your suggestions!

              Larry

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 6, 2002
                Larry,

                RE: When I try to check my MSN (Hotmail) account, it says
                that my address appears to be invalid when I try to save it. It
                is the same address that works with the MSN browser. I have it
                set to HTTP rather than POP. Then it gives some other message
                that it cannot connect.

                I do not know enough to comment further on this for you. I
                do not use Outlook Express, myself. I use Outlook 98 (meets my
                needs) and I do not use web based e-mail clients (Hotmail, Yahoo.
                et cetera).

                I did find this on Microsfot Knowledge Base:
                <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q174810&
                GSSNB=1> {full URL between < and >}. It is a little vague, I'll
                admit, but, the closest I found for an answer.

                Perhaps there are others "out there" that can help / comment
                furhter.

                I do thank you for your input. If I ever have need to help
                someone face-to-face with this and find a solution (before your
                October Hotmail/MSN expiration! :) ), I will let you know.

                Regards,
                Christopher J. Spilker
                mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
              • Larry Hamilton
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 6, 2002
                  Christopher,

                  This knowledge base article has the answer:

                  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q302721

                  Basically there is no POP3 email inbox for people in my situation, we
                  created the account using the latest version of MSN (my new PC is WinXP
                  Home, MSN version 6.x). MSN 6.x creates an HTTP email account. ONLY accounts
                  created with an earlier version of MSN have a pre-existing POP3 account to
                  be set back to.

                  So, MS does not want any technologically savvy person to use MSN. They are
                  trying to imitate AOL too much in this regard. I want to get my email in the
                  email client of my choice (not Outlook Express). I get all kinds of spam in
                  that account anyway, even though I never use it. Another way that MSN is
                  trying too much to be AOL.

                  Since it is "free", I guess I cannot complain. But I will not be paying for
                  it once the "free" runs out.

                  Does anyone know if there is a nation-wide ISP that does not force you to
                  use a program to make the connection? I just want a simple DUN connection,
                  so I do not need to waste my disk space on a multi-megabyt program just to
                  get an internet connection. I do not travel very much, but when I do it is
                  nice to be able to get online anywhere.

                  Thanks for the informatinon!

                  Larry

                  > I do not know enough to comment further on this for you. I
                  > do not use Outlook Express, myself. I use Outlook 98 (meets my
                  > needs) and I do not use web based e-mail clients (Hotmail, Yahoo.
                  > et cetera).
                  >
                  > I did find this on Microsfot Knowledge Base:
                  > <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q174810&
                • Mark Woods
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 6, 2002
                    Larry,

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 7, 2002
                      Hi Larry, Mark;

                      I have also had very good results using the EarthLink manual installation and Eudora. Len Hargrove