Windows 2000 Professional .... need an expert

  • bscott@stockdogsaction.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 2, 2002
      Hi all:
      I got back from my vacation to find that my administrators
      password is not valid anymore ... does anyone know what I might
      do .... I have all of my passwords written down and when I changed
      them so I know I am using the right one .... baffled ????

      Biill Scott
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 4, 2002
        Bill,

        At 08:42 PM 4/2/2002 -0800, you wrote:
        >Hi all:
        >I got back from my vacation to find that my administrators
        >password is not valid anymore ... does anyone know what I might
        >do .... I have all of my passwords written down and when I changed
        >them so I know I am using the right one .... baffled ????

        FWIW

        It has been awhile since I used 2K but your passwords have a lifetime and have to be renewed every once in awhile.

        If I recall correctly, on a cold start, Windows should come up and ask you to renew your password.

        The only other suggestion would be to just reload 2K.

        Regards,

        Jim
      • Jim Hall
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 4, 2002
          Bill,
          At 08:42 PM 4/2/2002 -0800, you wrote:
          >Hi all:
          >I got back from my vacation to find that my administrators
          >password is not valid anymore ... does anyone know what I might
          >do .... I have all of my passwords written down and when I changed
          >them so I know I am using the right one .... baffled ????

          I just remembered I also had 2K on this machine so I booted up in 2K and took a looksee.

          You want to goto:

          CONTROL PANEL>ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS>COMPUTER MANAGEMENT>LOCAL USERS AND GROUPS>USERS>ADMINISTRATOR and on the GENERAL TAB of your ADMINISTRATOR PROPERTIES check the box that says PASSWORD NEVER EXPIRES.

          BTW FWIW it works exactly the same in XP.

          That is if it will let you. :-)

          Regards,

          Jim
        • mon_iker
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 4, 2002
            Larry,

            Outlook Express can be set up to access your email messages
            at "Hotmail". I have several accounts, I can check for new messages
            while online and decide if I want to download them to O.E. for "off
            line" viewing.

            ~Raenie

            --- In ntb-OffTopic@y..., "Larry Hamilton" <lmh@h...> wrote:
            > Jody,
            >
            > Everyone with a Yahoo email account got this last week (see
            below). It> means if you want the free email you can only use the
            webmail version. If> you want to use an email client, you will have
            to pay for it. I prefer to> have the use of an email client that I
            can archive my email with Mailbag.
            > Webmail is too slow over dialup. I have done some quick research
            and most of> the free email offerings have dried up. One that I liked
            but had trouble> with eGroups, is still available, but they state
            that they do not work with> YahooGroups lists. Basically, I will have
            to pay or use an extra email> address from HNGS. I have a year of
            free MSN that came with my new PC, but I> do not see anything in help
            on how to make it work with OE. MSN forces the> MSN Browser and email
            client on you, so I just close the browser and use IE,> etc. My MSN
            email account only catches SPAM, and I never use it! It should
            > not be this hard to use something as basic as email. I may have to
            lobby> Eric to provide Mailbag support for the latest version of
            Juno! ;-)
            <snip>
          • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 4, 2002
              This is for Larry:

              RE: Using Outlook Express for Hotmail {courtesy of
              TechRepublic.com and Microsoft Knowledge Base}

              USING HOTMAIL IN OUTLOOK EXPRESS
              One of the commonly asked questions about Outlook Express is if
              it can be used to access Hotmail accounts. The answer in the past
              has been “sort of.”

              Since Outlook Express supports Web access within the folder pane,
              users could create an Outlook Bar shortcut to the Hotmail Web
              site and access Hotmail through that folder pane. However, this
              really doesn’t integrate Hotmail with the Outlook client.
              To get better integration with Hotmail, users can try this trick:

              1. Go to Tools | Accounts
              2. Click the Add button in the Internet Accounts dialog box and
              then select Mail. Click Next.
              3. Type the name to be displayed in the Display Name field. Click
              Next.
              4. Add a new Hotmail e-mail account or point to an existing
              Hotmail account in the E-mail Address field. Click Next.
              5. Verify that My Incoming Mail Server Is A HTTP Server and that
              it says My HTTP Mail Service Provider Is Hotmail. Click Next.
              6. Type your Hotmail account name in the Account Name field, and
              enter your password in the Password field. Click Next and then
              Finish.

              SEVERAL COMPLICATIONS TO NOTE:

              Users can receive e-mail, but not send messages, from their
              Hotmail accounts when set up this way. (Of course, they can still
              respond to Hotmail messages via their regular Internet accounts.)

              NOTE: The previous item is NOT true! See the NEXT e-mail
              {Larry, NOT included here} message for the RETRACTION of the
              above statement.

              Users will not receive a notification when new messages arrive in
              their Hotmail accounts.

              For more information about the known issues with Hotmail and
              Outlook Express, read the MS Knowledge Base article Q222984.

              http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q222/9/84.ASP

              I hope this helps you out.

              Regards,
              Christopher J. Spilker
              mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
            • mon_iker
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 6, 2002
                Hello Christopher,

                This description strikes me as odd. I've been using OE and Hotmail
                as a combination for years. I *do* receive a message when new mail
                is sent to my "primary" Hotmail account.

                I *can* "reply" to a message and it goes through Hotmail.

                Hotmail is *not* a (stand alone) POP3 or SMTP account. It works
                together with Outlook Express. Wish I had more technical knowledge
                to explain the details <heeh>.

                ~Raenie

                btw, *thank you* for your advice, way back when, about building
                a "Network". I did build it, but am still caught up in refining it.
                <lol>

                --- In ntb-OffTopic@y..., "Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker" <CHRIS-

              • Larry Hamilton
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 6, 2002
                  Christopher/Raenie,

                  When I try to check my MSN(Hotmail) account, it says that my address appears
                  to be invalid when I try to save it. It is the same address that works with
                  the MSN browser. I have it set to HTTP rather than POP. Then it gives some
                  other message that it cannot connect.

                  I had a free Hotmail account a couple years ago, and I could get it to work
                  with Outlook Express. It seems to me that MS changed something, or the
                  Hotmail/OE combination does not like "_" in the email address, even though
                  it works on the web.

                  I do not plan to stay with MSN once my free year expires in October, a local
                  ISP will be much cheaper and then I can use my email client of choice.

                  Thanks for all your suggestions!

                  Larry

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 6, 2002
                    Larry,

                    RE: When I try to check my MSN (Hotmail) account, it says
                    that my address appears to be invalid when I try to save it. It
                    is the same address that works with the MSN browser. I have it
                    set to HTTP rather than POP. Then it gives some other message
                    that it cannot connect.

                    I do not know enough to comment further on this for you. I
                    do not use Outlook Express, myself. I use Outlook 98 (meets my
                    needs) and I do not use web based e-mail clients (Hotmail, Yahoo.
                    et cetera).

                    I did find this on Microsfot Knowledge Base:
                    <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q174810&
                    GSSNB=1> {full URL between < and >}. It is a little vague, I'll
                    admit, but, the closest I found for an answer.

                    Perhaps there are others "out there" that can help / comment
                    furhter.

                    I do thank you for your input. If I ever have need to help
                    someone face-to-face with this and find a solution (before your
                    October Hotmail/MSN expiration! :) ), I will let you know.

                    Regards,
                    Christopher J. Spilker
                    mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
                  • Larry Hamilton
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 6, 2002
                      Christopher,

                      This knowledge base article has the answer:

                      http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q302721

                      Basically there is no POP3 email inbox for people in my situation, we
                      created the account using the latest version of MSN (my new PC is WinXP
                      Home, MSN version 6.x). MSN 6.x creates an HTTP email account. ONLY accounts
                      created with an earlier version of MSN have a pre-existing POP3 account to
                      be set back to.

                      So, MS does not want any technologically savvy person to use MSN. They are
                      trying to imitate AOL too much in this regard. I want to get my email in the
                      email client of my choice (not Outlook Express). I get all kinds of spam in
                      that account anyway, even though I never use it. Another way that MSN is
                      trying too much to be AOL.

                      Since it is "free", I guess I cannot complain. But I will not be paying for
                      it once the "free" runs out.

                      Does anyone know if there is a nation-wide ISP that does not force you to
                      use a program to make the connection? I just want a simple DUN connection,
                      so I do not need to waste my disk space on a multi-megabyt program just to
                      get an internet connection. I do not travel very much, but when I do it is
                      nice to be able to get online anywhere.

                      Thanks for the informatinon!

                      Larry

                      > I do not know enough to comment further on this for you. I
                      > do not use Outlook Express, myself. I use Outlook 98 (meets my
                      > needs) and I do not use web based e-mail clients (Hotmail, Yahoo.
                      > et cetera).
                      >
                      > I did find this on Microsfot Knowledge Base:
                      > <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q174810&
                    • Mark Woods
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 6, 2002
                        Larry,

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 7, 2002
                          Hi Larry, Mark;

                          I have also had very good results using the EarthLink manual installation and Eudora. Len Hargrove