Windows 2000 Professional .... need an expert

  • bscott@stockdogsaction.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 2, 2002
      Hi all:
      I got back from my vacation to find that my administrators
      password is not valid anymore ... does anyone know what I might
      do .... I have all of my passwords written down and when I changed
      them so I know I am using the right one .... baffled ????

      Biill Scott
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 3, 2002
        Hi Larry,

        > I may have to lobby Eric to provide Mailbag support for the
        > latest version of Juno! ;-)

        It surely would not hurt to ask again, but I think he is about
        ready to wrap this one up. I remember you discussing it with him
        earlier.

        >I keep getting a password box when I try to check my Yahoo
        >account. I tried it this morning before work with no problems!
        >Tonight I only have webmail! Yuck!

        There is a setting that at least makes it so that you are only
        asked once in a 24hr period, but I can't tell that it works like
        that. It is a real pain managing the lists like that. I don't
        have the time to start playing password games. I suppose a Clip
        is going to have to be made, but it will take me awhile to get
        use to first.

        >Now, aren't you glad you asked! ;-)

        haha!
      • Jim Hall
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 4, 2002
          Bill,

          At 08:42 PM 4/2/2002 -0800, you wrote:
          >Hi all:
          >I got back from my vacation to find that my administrators
          >password is not valid anymore ... does anyone know what I might
          >do .... I have all of my passwords written down and when I changed
          >them so I know I am using the right one .... baffled ????

          FWIW

          It has been awhile since I used 2K but your passwords have a lifetime and have to be renewed every once in awhile.

          If I recall correctly, on a cold start, Windows should come up and ask you to renew your password.

          The only other suggestion would be to just reload 2K.

          Regards,

          Jim
        • Jim Hall
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 4, 2002
            Bill,
            At 08:42 PM 4/2/2002 -0800, you wrote:
            >Hi all:
            >I got back from my vacation to find that my administrators
            >password is not valid anymore ... does anyone know what I might
            >do .... I have all of my passwords written down and when I changed
            >them so I know I am using the right one .... baffled ????

            I just remembered I also had 2K on this machine so I booted up in 2K and took a looksee.

            You want to goto:

            CONTROL PANEL>ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS>COMPUTER MANAGEMENT>LOCAL USERS AND GROUPS>USERS>ADMINISTRATOR and on the GENERAL TAB of your ADMINISTRATOR PROPERTIES check the box that says PASSWORD NEVER EXPIRES.

            BTW FWIW it works exactly the same in XP.

            That is if it will let you. :-)

            Regards,

            Jim
          • mon_iker
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 4, 2002
              Larry,

              Outlook Express can be set up to access your email messages
              at "Hotmail". I have several accounts, I can check for new messages
              while online and decide if I want to download them to O.E. for "off
              line" viewing.

              ~Raenie

              --- In ntb-OffTopic@y..., "Larry Hamilton" <lmh@h...> wrote:
              > Jody,
              >
              > Everyone with a Yahoo email account got this last week (see
              below). It> means if you want the free email you can only use the
              webmail version. If> you want to use an email client, you will have
              to pay for it. I prefer to> have the use of an email client that I
              can archive my email with Mailbag.
              > Webmail is too slow over dialup. I have done some quick research
              and most of> the free email offerings have dried up. One that I liked
              but had trouble> with eGroups, is still available, but they state
              that they do not work with> YahooGroups lists. Basically, I will have
              to pay or use an extra email> address from HNGS. I have a year of
              free MSN that came with my new PC, but I> do not see anything in help
              on how to make it work with OE. MSN forces the> MSN Browser and email
              client on you, so I just close the browser and use IE,> etc. My MSN
              email account only catches SPAM, and I never use it! It should
              > not be this hard to use something as basic as email. I may have to
              lobby> Eric to provide Mailbag support for the latest version of
              Juno! ;-)
              <snip>
            • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 4, 2002
                This is for Larry:

                RE: Using Outlook Express for Hotmail {courtesy of
                TechRepublic.com and Microsoft Knowledge Base}

                USING HOTMAIL IN OUTLOOK EXPRESS
                One of the commonly asked questions about Outlook Express is if
                it can be used to access Hotmail accounts. The answer in the past
                has been “sort of.”

                Since Outlook Express supports Web access within the folder pane,
                users could create an Outlook Bar shortcut to the Hotmail Web
                site and access Hotmail through that folder pane. However, this
                really doesn’t integrate Hotmail with the Outlook client.
                To get better integration with Hotmail, users can try this trick:

                1. Go to Tools | Accounts
                2. Click the Add button in the Internet Accounts dialog box and
                then select Mail. Click Next.
                3. Type the name to be displayed in the Display Name field. Click
                Next.
                4. Add a new Hotmail e-mail account or point to an existing
                Hotmail account in the E-mail Address field. Click Next.
                5. Verify that My Incoming Mail Server Is A HTTP Server and that
                it says My HTTP Mail Service Provider Is Hotmail. Click Next.
                6. Type your Hotmail account name in the Account Name field, and
                enter your password in the Password field. Click Next and then
                Finish.

                SEVERAL COMPLICATIONS TO NOTE:

                Users can receive e-mail, but not send messages, from their
                Hotmail accounts when set up this way. (Of course, they can still
                respond to Hotmail messages via their regular Internet accounts.)

                NOTE: The previous item is NOT true! See the NEXT e-mail
                {Larry, NOT included here} message for the RETRACTION of the
                above statement.

                Users will not receive a notification when new messages arrive in
                their Hotmail accounts.

                For more information about the known issues with Hotmail and
                Outlook Express, read the MS Knowledge Base article Q222984.

                http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q222/9/84.ASP

                I hope this helps you out.

                Regards,
                Christopher J. Spilker
                mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
              • mon_iker
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 6, 2002
                  Hello Christopher,

                  This description strikes me as odd. I've been using OE and Hotmail
                  as a combination for years. I *do* receive a message when new mail
                  is sent to my "primary" Hotmail account.

                  I *can* "reply" to a message and it goes through Hotmail.

                  Hotmail is *not* a (stand alone) POP3 or SMTP account. It works
                  together with Outlook Express. Wish I had more technical knowledge
                  to explain the details <heeh>.

                  ~Raenie

                  btw, *thank you* for your advice, way back when, about building
                  a "Network". I did build it, but am still caught up in refining it.
                  <lol>

                  --- In ntb-OffTopic@y..., "Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker" <CHRIS-

                • Larry Hamilton
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 6, 2002
                    Christopher/Raenie,

                    When I try to check my MSN(Hotmail) account, it says that my address appears
                    to be invalid when I try to save it. It is the same address that works with
                    the MSN browser. I have it set to HTTP rather than POP. Then it gives some
                    other message that it cannot connect.

                    I had a free Hotmail account a couple years ago, and I could get it to work
                    with Outlook Express. It seems to me that MS changed something, or the
                    Hotmail/OE combination does not like "_" in the email address, even though
                    it works on the web.

                    I do not plan to stay with MSN once my free year expires in October, a local
                    ISP will be much cheaper and then I can use my email client of choice.

                    Thanks for all your suggestions!

                    Larry

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 6, 2002
                      Larry,

                      RE: When I try to check my MSN (Hotmail) account, it says
                      that my address appears to be invalid when I try to save it. It
                      is the same address that works with the MSN browser. I have it
                      set to HTTP rather than POP. Then it gives some other message
                      that it cannot connect.

                      I do not know enough to comment further on this for you. I
                      do not use Outlook Express, myself. I use Outlook 98 (meets my
                      needs) and I do not use web based e-mail clients (Hotmail, Yahoo.
                      et cetera).

                      I did find this on Microsfot Knowledge Base:
                      <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q174810&
                      GSSNB=1> {full URL between < and >}. It is a little vague, I'll
                      admit, but, the closest I found for an answer.

                      Perhaps there are others "out there" that can help / comment
                      furhter.

                      I do thank you for your input. If I ever have need to help
                      someone face-to-face with this and find a solution (before your
                      October Hotmail/MSN expiration! :) ), I will let you know.

                      Regards,
                      Christopher J. Spilker
                      mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
                    • Larry Hamilton
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 6, 2002
                        Christopher,

                        This knowledge base article has the answer:

                        http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q302721

                        Basically there is no POP3 email inbox for people in my situation, we
                        created the account using the latest version of MSN (my new PC is WinXP
                        Home, MSN version 6.x). MSN 6.x creates an HTTP email account. ONLY accounts
                        created with an earlier version of MSN have a pre-existing POP3 account to
                        be set back to.

                        So, MS does not want any technologically savvy person to use MSN. They are
                        trying to imitate AOL too much in this regard. I want to get my email in the
                        email client of my choice (not Outlook Express). I get all kinds of spam in
                        that account anyway, even though I never use it. Another way that MSN is
                        trying too much to be AOL.

                        Since it is "free", I guess I cannot complain. But I will not be paying for
                        it once the "free" runs out.

                        Does anyone know if there is a nation-wide ISP that does not force you to
                        use a program to make the connection? I just want a simple DUN connection,
                        so I do not need to waste my disk space on a multi-megabyt program just to
                        get an internet connection. I do not travel very much, but when I do it is
                        nice to be able to get online anywhere.

                        Thanks for the informatinon!

                        Larry

                        > I do not know enough to comment further on this for you. I
                        > do not use Outlook Express, myself. I use Outlook 98 (meets my
                        > needs) and I do not use web based e-mail clients (Hotmail, Yahoo.
                        > et cetera).
                        >
                        > I did find this on Microsfot Knowledge Base:
                        > <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q174810&
                      • Mark Woods
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 6, 2002
                          Larry,

                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 7, 2002
                            Hi Larry, Mark;

                            I have also had very good results using the EarthLink manual installation and Eudora. Len Hargrove