Windows 2000 Professional .... need an expert

  • bscott@stockdogsaction.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 2 8:42 PM
      Hi all:
      I got back from my vacation to find that my administrators
      password is not valid anymore ... does anyone know what I might
      do .... I have all of my passwords written down and when I changed
      them so I know I am using the right one .... baffled ????

      Biill Scott
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 3 8:54 PM
        Jody,

        Everyone with a Yahoo email account got this last week (see below). It
        means if you want the free email you can only use the webmail version. If
        you want to use an email client, you will have to pay for it. I prefer to
        have the use of an email client that I can archive my email with Mailbag.
        Webmail is too slow over dialup. I have done some quick research and most of
        the free email offerings have dried up. One that I liked but had trouble
        with eGroups, is still available, but they state that they do not work with
        YahooGroups lists. Basically, I will have to pay or use an extra email
        address from HNGS. I have a year of free MSN that came with my new PC, but I
        do not see anything in help on how to make it work with OE. MSN forces the
        MSN Browser and email client on you, so I just close the browser and use IE,
        etc. My MSN email account only catches SPAM, and I never use it! It should
        not be this hard to use something as basic as email. I may have to lobby
        Eric to provide Mailbag support for the latest version of Juno! ;-)

        I keep getting a password box when I try to check my Yahoo account. I tried
        it this morning before work with no problems! Tonight I only have webmail!
        Yuck!

        Well, at least I have my YahooGroups lists going to an email address that I
        can access with a POP email program and can archive it with Mailbag.

        Now, aren't you glad you asked! ;-)
        Hello,

        Important service announcement regarding your POP3 or Mail Forwarding
        service. Please read on.

        Effective April 24, 2002, Yahoo! Mail will no longer provide free POP3
        Access or Auto Mail Forwarding to Yahoo! Delivers subscribers.

        If you would like to continue using Mail Forwarding or POP3 Access, please
        subscribe to our improved package that allows you to:

        a.. Use Outlook, Eudora, or another POP3 client to access and manage your
        Yahoo! Mail.
        b.. Automatically forward your Yahoo! Mail to another email account --
        even another Yahoo! address!
        c.. Send larger attachments, now up to 5MB instead of the free 1.5MB
        limit.
        d.. Send email without the Yahoo! promotional text at the bottom.*

        Subscribe before April 24th and get the first year of service for just
        $19.99. That's 33% off the regular service fee of $29.99.

        Remember, if you do not subscribe by April 24, 2002, you will no longer be
        able to access your Yahoo! Mail messages by POP or at another email address.

        Sincerely,
        The Yahoo! Mail Team

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 3 9:09 PM
          Hi Larry,

          > I may have to lobby Eric to provide Mailbag support for the
          > latest version of Juno! ;-)

          It surely would not hurt to ask again, but I think he is about
          ready to wrap this one up. I remember you discussing it with him
          earlier.

          >I keep getting a password box when I try to check my Yahoo
          >account. I tried it this morning before work with no problems!
          >Tonight I only have webmail! Yuck!

          There is a setting that at least makes it so that you are only
          asked once in a 24hr period, but I can't tell that it works like
          that. It is a real pain managing the lists like that. I don't
          have the time to start playing password games. I suppose a Clip
          is going to have to be made, but it will take me awhile to get
          use to first.

          >Now, aren't you glad you asked! ;-)

          haha!
        • Jim Hall
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 4 2:57 AM
            Bill,

            At 08:42 PM 4/2/2002 -0800, you wrote:
            >Hi all:
            >I got back from my vacation to find that my administrators
            >password is not valid anymore ... does anyone know what I might
            >do .... I have all of my passwords written down and when I changed
            >them so I know I am using the right one .... baffled ????

            FWIW

            It has been awhile since I used 2K but your passwords have a lifetime and have to be renewed every once in awhile.

            If I recall correctly, on a cold start, Windows should come up and ask you to renew your password.

            The only other suggestion would be to just reload 2K.

            Regards,

            Jim
          • Jim Hall
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 4 3:18 AM
              Bill,
              At 08:42 PM 4/2/2002 -0800, you wrote:
              >Hi all:
              >I got back from my vacation to find that my administrators
              >password is not valid anymore ... does anyone know what I might
              >do .... I have all of my passwords written down and when I changed
              >them so I know I am using the right one .... baffled ????

              I just remembered I also had 2K on this machine so I booted up in 2K and took a looksee.

              You want to goto:

              CONTROL PANEL>ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS>COMPUTER MANAGEMENT>LOCAL USERS AND GROUPS>USERS>ADMINISTRATOR and on the GENERAL TAB of your ADMINISTRATOR PROPERTIES check the box that says PASSWORD NEVER EXPIRES.

              BTW FWIW it works exactly the same in XP.

              That is if it will let you. :-)

              Regards,

              Jim
            • mon_iker
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 4 8:05 PM
                Larry,

                Outlook Express can be set up to access your email messages
                at "Hotmail". I have several accounts, I can check for new messages
                while online and decide if I want to download them to O.E. for "off
                line" viewing.

                ~Raenie

                --- In ntb-OffTopic@y..., "Larry Hamilton" <lmh@h...> wrote:
                > Jody,
                >
                > Everyone with a Yahoo email account got this last week (see
                below). It> means if you want the free email you can only use the
                webmail version. If> you want to use an email client, you will have
                to pay for it. I prefer to> have the use of an email client that I
                can archive my email with Mailbag.
                > Webmail is too slow over dialup. I have done some quick research
                and most of> the free email offerings have dried up. One that I liked
                but had trouble> with eGroups, is still available, but they state
                that they do not work with> YahooGroups lists. Basically, I will have
                to pay or use an extra email> address from HNGS. I have a year of
                free MSN that came with my new PC, but I> do not see anything in help
                on how to make it work with OE. MSN forces the> MSN Browser and email
                client on you, so I just close the browser and use IE,> etc. My MSN
                email account only catches SPAM, and I never use it! It should
                > not be this hard to use something as basic as email. I may have to
                lobby> Eric to provide Mailbag support for the latest version of
                Juno! ;-)
                <snip>
              • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 4 8:19 PM
                  This is for Larry:

                  RE: Using Outlook Express for Hotmail {courtesy of
                  TechRepublic.com and Microsoft Knowledge Base}

                  USING HOTMAIL IN OUTLOOK EXPRESS
                  One of the commonly asked questions about Outlook Express is if
                  it can be used to access Hotmail accounts. The answer in the past
                  has been “sort of.”

                  Since Outlook Express supports Web access within the folder pane,
                  users could create an Outlook Bar shortcut to the Hotmail Web
                  site and access Hotmail through that folder pane. However, this
                  really doesn’t integrate Hotmail with the Outlook client.
                  To get better integration with Hotmail, users can try this trick:

                  1. Go to Tools | Accounts
                  2. Click the Add button in the Internet Accounts dialog box and
                  then select Mail. Click Next.
                  3. Type the name to be displayed in the Display Name field. Click
                  Next.
                  4. Add a new Hotmail e-mail account or point to an existing
                  Hotmail account in the E-mail Address field. Click Next.
                  5. Verify that My Incoming Mail Server Is A HTTP Server and that
                  it says My HTTP Mail Service Provider Is Hotmail. Click Next.
                  6. Type your Hotmail account name in the Account Name field, and
                  enter your password in the Password field. Click Next and then
                  Finish.

                  SEVERAL COMPLICATIONS TO NOTE:

                  Users can receive e-mail, but not send messages, from their
                  Hotmail accounts when set up this way. (Of course, they can still
                  respond to Hotmail messages via their regular Internet accounts.)

                  NOTE: The previous item is NOT true! See the NEXT e-mail
                  {Larry, NOT included here} message for the RETRACTION of the
                  above statement.

                  Users will not receive a notification when new messages arrive in
                  their Hotmail accounts.

                  For more information about the known issues with Hotmail and
                  Outlook Express, read the MS Knowledge Base article Q222984.

                  http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q222/9/84.ASP

                  I hope this helps you out.

                  Regards,
                  Christopher J. Spilker
                  mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
                • mon_iker
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 6 4:53 AM
                    Hello Christopher,

                    This description strikes me as odd. I've been using OE and Hotmail
                    as a combination for years. I *do* receive a message when new mail
                    is sent to my "primary" Hotmail account.

                    I *can* "reply" to a message and it goes through Hotmail.

                    Hotmail is *not* a (stand alone) POP3 or SMTP account. It works
                    together with Outlook Express. Wish I had more technical knowledge
                    to explain the details <heeh>.

                    ~Raenie

                    btw, *thank you* for your advice, way back when, about building
                    a "Network". I did build it, but am still caught up in refining it.
                    <lol>

                    --- In ntb-OffTopic@y..., "Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker" <CHRIS-

                  • Larry Hamilton
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 6 6:30 AM
                      Christopher/Raenie,

                      When I try to check my MSN(Hotmail) account, it says that my address appears
                      to be invalid when I try to save it. It is the same address that works with
                      the MSN browser. I have it set to HTTP rather than POP. Then it gives some
                      other message that it cannot connect.

                      I had a free Hotmail account a couple years ago, and I could get it to work
                      with Outlook Express. It seems to me that MS changed something, or the
                      Hotmail/OE combination does not like "_" in the email address, even though
                      it works on the web.

                      I do not plan to stay with MSN once my free year expires in October, a local
                      ISP will be much cheaper and then I can use my email client of choice.

                      Thanks for all your suggestions!

                      Larry

                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 6 9:42 AM
                        Larry,

                        RE: When I try to check my MSN (Hotmail) account, it says
                        that my address appears to be invalid when I try to save it. It
                        is the same address that works with the MSN browser. I have it
                        set to HTTP rather than POP. Then it gives some other message
                        that it cannot connect.

                        I do not know enough to comment further on this for you. I
                        do not use Outlook Express, myself. I use Outlook 98 (meets my
                        needs) and I do not use web based e-mail clients (Hotmail, Yahoo.
                        et cetera).

                        I did find this on Microsfot Knowledge Base:
                        <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q174810&
                        GSSNB=1> {full URL between < and >}. It is a little vague, I'll
                        admit, but, the closest I found for an answer.

                        Perhaps there are others "out there" that can help / comment
                        furhter.

                        I do thank you for your input. If I ever have need to help
                        someone face-to-face with this and find a solution (before your
                        October Hotmail/MSN expiration! :) ), I will let you know.

                        Regards,
                        Christopher J. Spilker
                        mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
                      • Larry Hamilton
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 6 12:14 PM
                          Christopher,

                          This knowledge base article has the answer:

                          http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q302721

                          Basically there is no POP3 email inbox for people in my situation, we
                          created the account using the latest version of MSN (my new PC is WinXP
                          Home, MSN version 6.x). MSN 6.x creates an HTTP email account. ONLY accounts
                          created with an earlier version of MSN have a pre-existing POP3 account to
                          be set back to.

                          So, MS does not want any technologically savvy person to use MSN. They are
                          trying to imitate AOL too much in this regard. I want to get my email in the
                          email client of my choice (not Outlook Express). I get all kinds of spam in
                          that account anyway, even though I never use it. Another way that MSN is
                          trying too much to be AOL.

                          Since it is "free", I guess I cannot complain. But I will not be paying for
                          it once the "free" runs out.

                          Does anyone know if there is a nation-wide ISP that does not force you to
                          use a program to make the connection? I just want a simple DUN connection,
                          so I do not need to waste my disk space on a multi-megabyt program just to
                          get an internet connection. I do not travel very much, but when I do it is
                          nice to be able to get online anywhere.

                          Thanks for the informatinon!

                          Larry

                          > I do not know enough to comment further on this for you. I
                          > do not use Outlook Express, myself. I use Outlook 98 (meets my
                          > needs) and I do not use web based e-mail clients (Hotmail, Yahoo.
                          > et cetera).
                          >
                          > I did find this on Microsfot Knowledge Base:
                          > <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q174810&
                        • Mark Woods
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 6 6:27 PM
                            Larry,

                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 7 9:18 AM
                              Hi Larry, Mark;

                              I have also had very good results using the EarthLink manual installation and Eudora. Len Hargrove