Windows 2000 Professional .... need an expert

  • bscott@stockdogsaction.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 2 8:42 PM
      Hi all:
      I got back from my vacation to find that my administrators
      password is not valid anymore ... does anyone know what I might
      do .... I have all of my passwords written down and when I changed
      them so I know I am using the right one .... baffled ????

      Biill Scott
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 3 4:49 PM
        Yahoo is having problems, and if they are going to make it so bad now, when
        we have 21 days until their deadline to pay or lose features, I am making
        the switch now.

        It took forever to get it where I could verify this new address.

        Now I just have to change all my other email....

        ARRRGH!!

        Larry Hamilton
        lmh@...
        My Web Site: http://notlimah.tripod.com/
        Webmaster: Hamilton National Genealogical Society, Inc.
        http://www.hamiltongensociety.org/
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 3 7:30 PM
          Hi Larry,

          >Yahoo is having problems, and if they are going to make it so bad now, when
          >we have 21 days until their deadline to pay or lose features, I am making
          >the switch now.

          What is that about?

          >It took forever to get it where I could verify this new address.
          >
          >Now I just have to change all my other email....
          >
          >ARRRGH!!

          See my private post to you.
        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 3 8:54 PM
            Jody,

            Everyone with a Yahoo email account got this last week (see below). It
            means if you want the free email you can only use the webmail version. If
            you want to use an email client, you will have to pay for it. I prefer to
            have the use of an email client that I can archive my email with Mailbag.
            Webmail is too slow over dialup. I have done some quick research and most of
            the free email offerings have dried up. One that I liked but had trouble
            with eGroups, is still available, but they state that they do not work with
            YahooGroups lists. Basically, I will have to pay or use an extra email
            address from HNGS. I have a year of free MSN that came with my new PC, but I
            do not see anything in help on how to make it work with OE. MSN forces the
            MSN Browser and email client on you, so I just close the browser and use IE,
            etc. My MSN email account only catches SPAM, and I never use it! It should
            not be this hard to use something as basic as email. I may have to lobby
            Eric to provide Mailbag support for the latest version of Juno! ;-)

            I keep getting a password box when I try to check my Yahoo account. I tried
            it this morning before work with no problems! Tonight I only have webmail!
            Yuck!

            Well, at least I have my YahooGroups lists going to an email address that I
            can access with a POP email program and can archive it with Mailbag.

            Now, aren't you glad you asked! ;-)
            Hello,

            Important service announcement regarding your POP3 or Mail Forwarding
            service. Please read on.

            Effective April 24, 2002, Yahoo! Mail will no longer provide free POP3
            Access or Auto Mail Forwarding to Yahoo! Delivers subscribers.

            If you would like to continue using Mail Forwarding or POP3 Access, please
            subscribe to our improved package that allows you to:

            a.. Use Outlook, Eudora, or another POP3 client to access and manage your
            Yahoo! Mail.
            b.. Automatically forward your Yahoo! Mail to another email account --
            even another Yahoo! address!
            c.. Send larger attachments, now up to 5MB instead of the free 1.5MB
            limit.
            d.. Send email without the Yahoo! promotional text at the bottom.*

            Subscribe before April 24th and get the first year of service for just
            $19.99. That's 33% off the regular service fee of $29.99.

            Remember, if you do not subscribe by April 24, 2002, you will no longer be
            able to access your Yahoo! Mail messages by POP or at another email address.

            Sincerely,
            The Yahoo! Mail Team

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 3 9:09 PM
              Hi Larry,

              > I may have to lobby Eric to provide Mailbag support for the
              > latest version of Juno! ;-)

              It surely would not hurt to ask again, but I think he is about
              ready to wrap this one up. I remember you discussing it with him
              earlier.

              >I keep getting a password box when I try to check my Yahoo
              >account. I tried it this morning before work with no problems!
              >Tonight I only have webmail! Yuck!

              There is a setting that at least makes it so that you are only
              asked once in a 24hr period, but I can't tell that it works like
              that. It is a real pain managing the lists like that. I don't
              have the time to start playing password games. I suppose a Clip
              is going to have to be made, but it will take me awhile to get
              use to first.

              >Now, aren't you glad you asked! ;-)

              haha!
            • Jim Hall
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 4 2:57 AM
                Bill,

                At 08:42 PM 4/2/2002 -0800, you wrote:
                >Hi all:
                >I got back from my vacation to find that my administrators
                >password is not valid anymore ... does anyone know what I might
                >do .... I have all of my passwords written down and when I changed
                >them so I know I am using the right one .... baffled ????

                FWIW

                It has been awhile since I used 2K but your passwords have a lifetime and have to be renewed every once in awhile.

                If I recall correctly, on a cold start, Windows should come up and ask you to renew your password.

                The only other suggestion would be to just reload 2K.

                Regards,

                Jim
              • Jim Hall
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 4 3:18 AM
                  Bill,
                  At 08:42 PM 4/2/2002 -0800, you wrote:
                  >Hi all:
                  >I got back from my vacation to find that my administrators
                  >password is not valid anymore ... does anyone know what I might
                  >do .... I have all of my passwords written down and when I changed
                  >them so I know I am using the right one .... baffled ????

                  I just remembered I also had 2K on this machine so I booted up in 2K and took a looksee.

                  You want to goto:

                  CONTROL PANEL>ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS>COMPUTER MANAGEMENT>LOCAL USERS AND GROUPS>USERS>ADMINISTRATOR and on the GENERAL TAB of your ADMINISTRATOR PROPERTIES check the box that says PASSWORD NEVER EXPIRES.

                  BTW FWIW it works exactly the same in XP.

                  That is if it will let you. :-)

                  Regards,

                  Jim
                • mon_iker
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 4 8:05 PM
                    Larry,

                    Outlook Express can be set up to access your email messages
                    at "Hotmail". I have several accounts, I can check for new messages
                    while online and decide if I want to download them to O.E. for "off
                    line" viewing.

                    ~Raenie

                    --- In ntb-OffTopic@y..., "Larry Hamilton" <lmh@h...> wrote:
                    > Jody,
                    >
                    > Everyone with a Yahoo email account got this last week (see
                    below). It> means if you want the free email you can only use the
                    webmail version. If> you want to use an email client, you will have
                    to pay for it. I prefer to> have the use of an email client that I
                    can archive my email with Mailbag.
                    > Webmail is too slow over dialup. I have done some quick research
                    and most of> the free email offerings have dried up. One that I liked
                    but had trouble> with eGroups, is still available, but they state
                    that they do not work with> YahooGroups lists. Basically, I will have
                    to pay or use an extra email> address from HNGS. I have a year of
                    free MSN that came with my new PC, but I> do not see anything in help
                    on how to make it work with OE. MSN forces the> MSN Browser and email
                    client on you, so I just close the browser and use IE,> etc. My MSN
                    email account only catches SPAM, and I never use it! It should
                    > not be this hard to use something as basic as email. I may have to
                    lobby> Eric to provide Mailbag support for the latest version of
                    Juno! ;-)
                    <snip>
                  • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 4 8:19 PM
                      This is for Larry:

                      RE: Using Outlook Express for Hotmail {courtesy of
                      TechRepublic.com and Microsoft Knowledge Base}

                      USING HOTMAIL IN OUTLOOK EXPRESS
                      One of the commonly asked questions about Outlook Express is if
                      it can be used to access Hotmail accounts. The answer in the past
                      has been “sort of.”

                      Since Outlook Express supports Web access within the folder pane,
                      users could create an Outlook Bar shortcut to the Hotmail Web
                      site and access Hotmail through that folder pane. However, this
                      really doesn’t integrate Hotmail with the Outlook client.
                      To get better integration with Hotmail, users can try this trick:

                      1. Go to Tools | Accounts
                      2. Click the Add button in the Internet Accounts dialog box and
                      then select Mail. Click Next.
                      3. Type the name to be displayed in the Display Name field. Click
                      Next.
                      4. Add a new Hotmail e-mail account or point to an existing
                      Hotmail account in the E-mail Address field. Click Next.
                      5. Verify that My Incoming Mail Server Is A HTTP Server and that
                      it says My HTTP Mail Service Provider Is Hotmail. Click Next.
                      6. Type your Hotmail account name in the Account Name field, and
                      enter your password in the Password field. Click Next and then
                      Finish.

                      SEVERAL COMPLICATIONS TO NOTE:

                      Users can receive e-mail, but not send messages, from their
                      Hotmail accounts when set up this way. (Of course, they can still
                      respond to Hotmail messages via their regular Internet accounts.)

                      NOTE: The previous item is NOT true! See the NEXT e-mail
                      {Larry, NOT included here} message for the RETRACTION of the
                      above statement.

                      Users will not receive a notification when new messages arrive in
                      their Hotmail accounts.

                      For more information about the known issues with Hotmail and
                      Outlook Express, read the MS Knowledge Base article Q222984.

                      http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q222/9/84.ASP

                      I hope this helps you out.

                      Regards,
                      Christopher J. Spilker
                      mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
                    • mon_iker
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 6 4:53 AM
                        Hello Christopher,

                        This description strikes me as odd. I've been using OE and Hotmail
                        as a combination for years. I *do* receive a message when new mail
                        is sent to my "primary" Hotmail account.

                        I *can* "reply" to a message and it goes through Hotmail.

                        Hotmail is *not* a (stand alone) POP3 or SMTP account. It works
                        together with Outlook Express. Wish I had more technical knowledge
                        to explain the details <heeh>.

                        ~Raenie

                        btw, *thank you* for your advice, way back when, about building
                        a "Network". I did build it, but am still caught up in refining it.
                        <lol>

                        --- In ntb-OffTopic@y..., "Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker" <CHRIS-

                      • Larry Hamilton
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 6 6:30 AM
                          Christopher/Raenie,

                          When I try to check my MSN(Hotmail) account, it says that my address appears
                          to be invalid when I try to save it. It is the same address that works with
                          the MSN browser. I have it set to HTTP rather than POP. Then it gives some
                          other message that it cannot connect.

                          I had a free Hotmail account a couple years ago, and I could get it to work
                          with Outlook Express. It seems to me that MS changed something, or the
                          Hotmail/OE combination does not like "_" in the email address, even though
                          it works on the web.

                          I do not plan to stay with MSN once my free year expires in October, a local
                          ISP will be much cheaper and then I can use my email client of choice.

                          Thanks for all your suggestions!

                          Larry

                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 6 9:42 AM
                            Larry,

                            RE: When I try to check my MSN (Hotmail) account, it says
                            that my address appears to be invalid when I try to save it. It
                            is the same address that works with the MSN browser. I have it
                            set to HTTP rather than POP. Then it gives some other message
                            that it cannot connect.

                            I do not know enough to comment further on this for you. I
                            do not use Outlook Express, myself. I use Outlook 98 (meets my
                            needs) and I do not use web based e-mail clients (Hotmail, Yahoo.
                            et cetera).

                            I did find this on Microsfot Knowledge Base:
                            <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q174810&
                            GSSNB=1> {full URL between < and >}. It is a little vague, I'll
                            admit, but, the closest I found for an answer.

                            Perhaps there are others "out there" that can help / comment
                            furhter.

                            I do thank you for your input. If I ever have need to help
                            someone face-to-face with this and find a solution (before your
                            October Hotmail/MSN expiration! :) ), I will let you know.

                            Regards,
                            Christopher J. Spilker
                            mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
                          • Larry Hamilton
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 6 12:14 PM
                              Christopher,

                              This knowledge base article has the answer:

                              http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q302721

                              Basically there is no POP3 email inbox for people in my situation, we
                              created the account using the latest version of MSN (my new PC is WinXP
                              Home, MSN version 6.x). MSN 6.x creates an HTTP email account. ONLY accounts
                              created with an earlier version of MSN have a pre-existing POP3 account to
                              be set back to.

                              So, MS does not want any technologically savvy person to use MSN. They are
                              trying to imitate AOL too much in this regard. I want to get my email in the
                              email client of my choice (not Outlook Express). I get all kinds of spam in
                              that account anyway, even though I never use it. Another way that MSN is
                              trying too much to be AOL.

                              Since it is "free", I guess I cannot complain. But I will not be paying for
                              it once the "free" runs out.

                              Does anyone know if there is a nation-wide ISP that does not force you to
                              use a program to make the connection? I just want a simple DUN connection,
                              so I do not need to waste my disk space on a multi-megabyt program just to
                              get an internet connection. I do not travel very much, but when I do it is
                              nice to be able to get online anywhere.

                              Thanks for the informatinon!

                              Larry

                              > I do not know enough to comment further on this for you. I
                              > do not use Outlook Express, myself. I use Outlook 98 (meets my
                              > needs) and I do not use web based e-mail clients (Hotmail, Yahoo.
                              > et cetera).
                              >
                              > I did find this on Microsfot Knowledge Base:
                              > <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q174810&
                            • Mark Woods
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 6 6:27 PM
                                Larry,

                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 7 9:18 AM
                                  Hi Larry, Mark;

                                  I have also had very good results using the EarthLink manual installation and Eudora. Len Hargrove