[NTO] Re: AppBar

  • Raymond Fitzgerald
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
      Hi Jody,

      >It is a bar sort of like the Windows Taskbar, but with no icons.
      >It looks and acts like a regular menu bar in a program. You add
      >main menus of programs to launch and then below the main menu the
      >programs in the menu for each. So you might have menus called:
      >Applications, Bible, Browsers, Fookes, Image, etc. I keep mine

      Can't wait to try it at home tonight! But I'm wondering, especially now that
      we have the clipbar, what's the difference between AppBar and creating the
      same thing for ourselves in NoteTab? In fact, I know for my coworkers I'm
      going to add my "Programs" clip to the clipbar and probably enhance it a bit
      (there's no menus/submenus, only a list of program names).

      Cheers,
      Ray
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
        Hi Ray,

        > Can't wait to try it at home tonight! But I'm wondering,
        > especially now that we have the clipbar, what's the difference
        > between AppBar and creating the same thing for ourselves in
        > NoteTab? In fact, I know for my coworkers I'm going to add my
        > "Programs" clip to the clipbar and probably enhance it a bit
        > (there's no menus/submenus, only a list of program names).

        Well, for starters, the AppBar is always there, mine when I move
        the mouse to the top to take it out of autohide (which takes a
        bit to get use to that way because of it dropping down when you
        don't want it to like when you want to click an "x" but we
        learn...). On the other hand you have to be in NoteTab to use
        Clipbar. Further more, you can pull down a menu a click on the
        name. Icons to not always tell all - we have to memorize them.
        Tooltips take a bit longer to read and scroll through.

        On my 15" at 600x800 30 icons is about max before wrap with no
        keyboard shortcuts. The Clipbar is great, and for launching
        NoteTab stuff quickly, yes, add an icon for it there. At the same
        setup above one can get about 20 main menu items across the bar
        in AppBar depending on what you name them. Each menu can hold,
        oh, perhaps 30 items, again with shortcuts if you wish. So,
        using my calculator in my NoteBack Library whilst I am here in
        Eudora it says that 20*30 = 600. (grin - I love my toys) So, you
        can have about 600 shortcuts on one tiny tucked away app that
        takes a little bit more of space as 30 icons for your Clipbar.

        Bye for now,
        Jody Adair
        Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

        http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
        http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
        http://www.sureword.com/notetab
      • Julie G
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
          At 12:25 PM 02/01/2000 , Carl Swann wrote:

          >> http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip (35.9kb)

          Hey thanks! That's a neat little program :-). Not too bad to set up when I
          go into the folder view of Start | Programs and click on Properties for
          the paths. I figure I'm about halfway done....... I've already deleted the
          icons off of the Win98 QuickLaunch toolbar. What a way to spend the first
          afternoon my kids have been back in school for a week <G>.

          Maybe I won't go 'nomail' right away on this list <G>.

          Julie in MD
        • Lotta
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
            Hey, that sound good. Can anyone send it to me, please?

            PBrowse
            If anyone is interested I have a small (107Kb zipped) freeware, PBrowse, that is very usefull for keeping track of your images. Run it in any folder containing images and it will create a HTML file listing all gifs and jpgs in that folder for easy viewing. It will print img names but not, I'm sorry to say, sizes, under the pics. It's in swedish but there is only to buttons...Good thing to have when your lazy and have a short memory. Want it? Send me a mail.

            Lotta
          • Raymond Fitzgerald
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
              Hi Lotta,

              >Hey, that sound good. Can anyone send it to me, please?

              This is from Jody:
              http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip (35.9kb)

              >If anyone is interested I have a small (107Kb zipped) freeware, PBrowse,
              that is very usefull for keeping track of your images. Run it in any folder
              containing images and it will create a HTML file listing all gifs and jpgs
              in that folder for easy viewing. It will print img names but not, I'm sorry
              to say, sizes, under the pics.

              Now that you've got NoteTab, it's time to wean you from some of the others!
              ;-) Go to the built-in Utilities clip library and run the "Images to HTML"
              clip. Does everything you described plus image sizes. And of course being a
              clip, you can modify it to suit your own requirements. Eric's actually got
              two programs that also do this--the older freeware HTML Imager and the brand
              new Album Express!

              Let us know how ya like it!

              Cheers,
              Ray
            • Carl Swann
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                Julie G wrote:

                > At 12:25 PM 02/01/2000 , Carl Swann wrote:
                >
                > >> http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip (35.9kb)
                >
                > Hey thanks! That's a neat little program :-).

                Glad you like it!

                > Not too bad to set up when I
                > go into the folder view of Start | Programs and click on Properties for
                > the paths.

                An easier way is to get CopyPath, a freeware utility that adds "Copy
                Path" to your right-click menu; when you right click a file, it copies
                the full path of that file to the Clipboard. Once CopyPath is
                installed, you can locate the program file of each program you want to
                add to AppBar (either via Explorer or the Browse button in the AppBar
                config) and then right click it to choose CopyPath. Then go back to
                the AppBar config and paste it in the window. Voila - the full path
                for AppBar to read! CopyPath is a very useful utility... here's the
                download link:

                http://www.fullvb.de/soft/data/copypath.exe

                oOOo-(_)-oOOo
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                  Hi Lotta,

                  >Hey, that sound good. Can anyone send it to me, please?

                  http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip (35.9kb)

                  >If anyone is interested I have a small (107Kb zipped) freeware,
                  >PBrowse,

                  Have you tried Eric's HTML Imager v1.2a - freeware:

                  http://www.fookes.com/
                  http://www.fookes.com/software
                  http://www.fookes.com/software/html-img.htm
                  http://209.238.49.160/software/htmimg32.zip (209kb)

                  Or the Shareware version, Album Express 2.0:

                  http://www.fookes.com/album/index.html

                  >It's in swedish but there is only to buttons...Good thing to have
                  >when your lazy and have a short memory. Want it? Send me a mail.

                  Sure, mailto:kjb1611@... or just upload it somewhere. tanX!

                  Two buttons shouldn't be hard to figure out even for this ignernt
                  hillbilly. ;)

                  Happy Camper,
                  Jody Adair
                  Prov. 15:15

                  Clean-Funnies
                  mailto:CF@...?Subject=subscribe
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                    Hi Carl & Julie,

                    > CopyPath is a very useful utility... here's the download link:
                    >
                    > http://www.fullvb.de/soft/data/copypath.exe

                    That's another goodie I use all the time, seems about daily. I
                    almost forget it is not Windows. :)

                    It will copy the paths of a whole directory too if you want or
                    just some selected files.

                    Here is the actual site, but it is in German. I did not see an
                    English button:

                    http://www.fullaccess.de/

                    Julie,

                    You mentioned going to Properties, etc. AppBar has a Find
                    (browse) button to go the the app itself to add it. It always
                    opens in the C:\ drive though so you need to use the pulldown to
                    switch to another drive.

                    1. Left click to focus and then right click over AppBar
                    2. Choose Edit menu ...
                    3. Click on a menu on left or add one, New Menu (double
                    click to edit menu)
                    4. Click on New App
                    5. Click on Find.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                      At 05:43 PM 02/01/2000 , Jody wrote:

                      > > CopyPath
                      > >
                      > > http://www.fullvb.de/soft/data/copypath.exe

                      >You mentioned going to Properties, etc. AppBar has a Find
                      >(browse) button to go the the app itself to add it. It always
                      >opens in the C:\ drive though so you need to use the pulldown to
                      >switch to another drive.
                      >
                      >1. Left click to focus and then right click over AppBar
                      >2. Choose Edit menu ...
                      >3. Click on a menu on left or add one, New Menu (double
                      > click to edit menu)
                      >4. Click on New App
                      >5. Click on Find.

                      Thanks Jody... Since Windows so kindly puts everything in the Programs menu
                      upon installation, I always group the apps to my liking (although I have
                      clips to most everything I use all the time!). Browsing to the executable
                      seemed more tedious then alt-enter'ing on the shortcut in the Program menu.
                      I found that by adding programs from the properties in the Programs...
                      folder, the path is already highlighted, I can copy and paste the path,
                      and then the file name, and all the programs are all ready grouped the way
                      I like 'em, so it's minimal fuss to organize (for me at least). CopyPath
                      was very helpful for the smaller programs that weren't in the Programs...
                      folder. Had a hard time trying to figure out what the readme file was
                      saying though ;-). I then took all my Captor group clips from NoteTab and
                      put them in their own file menu.

                      Julie
                    • Julie G
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                        At 08:18 PM 02/01/2000 , Julie G wrote:

                        >saying though ;-). I then took all my Captor group clips from NoteTab and
                        >put them in their own file menu.

                        That didn't seem to work :-(. AppBar only seems to like exe's I'm
                        assuming? Is there a work around, or should I just use the clips I've
                        created in NTP?

                        Julie
                      • Harvey R. Savage
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                          Hi Julie G,

                          I downloaded and started using AppBar. Its use is not limited to .exe
                          files. I added a file - hrs.rtl - as an entry in appbar, it works
                          great. You probably need to make sure, whatever the extension, it is
                          associated with the appropriate executable, ie, add a .txt file to the
                          menu and it will start NotePro with that file opened when you select
                          that choice.

                          hrs

                          --
                          ¿? Harvey R. Savage
                          ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                            Hi Julie,

                            > saying though ;-). I then took all my Captor group clips from
                            > NoteTab and put them in their own file menu.
                            >
                            > That didn't seem to work :-(. AppBar only seems to like exe's
                            > I'm assuming? Is there a work around, or should I just use the
                            > clips I've created in NTP?

                            I have never made any NetCaptor Clips, unless you are talking
                            about Clips in NoteTab you are trying to use on it. Then in the
                            new beta you could add the shortcut to Notetab something like
                            (from memory):

                            C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe /L=LibraryName:ClipName

                            If you are talking about something in NetCaptor, perhaps you
                            could rename the file with an .exe extension and the once you get
                            it into NetCaptor rename it to what it needs to be.

                            cya,
                            jody

                            Weather Reports:
                            http://www.wunderground.com/US/FL/Milton.html
                            Sojourners King James Bible Page
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 2, 2000
                              At 11:30 PM 02/01/2000 , you wrote:

                              >I downloaded and started using AppBar. Its use is not limited to .exe
                              >files. I added a file - hrs.rtl - as an entry in appbar, it works
                              >great. You probably need to make sure, whatever the extension, it is
                              >associated with the appropriate executable, ie, add a .txt file to the
                              >menu and it will start NotePro with that file opened when you select
                              >that choice.

                              The association is there... I don't what the difference is between last
                              night and this morning, except for it being a new day, but they're opening
                              just fine now. ??

                              Julie
                            • Carl Swann
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 2, 2000
                                Julie G wrote:

                                > The association is there... I don't what the difference is between last
                                > night and this morning, except for it being a new day, but they're opening
                                > just fine now. ??

                                I often find I do better after a good night's rest, too... ;-)

                                Glad the program is working for you.

                                oOOo-(_)-oOOo