Re: File Associations

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2002
      Hi Ray and Others,

      I posted a message over here under this thread the other day.
      Some of you may have followed it through the Basic list also.
      Anyway, Ray said to post his reply on this list if I thought it
      may be of use to somebody. I think it may be, at least sooner or
      later. ;) Thanks, Ray!

      Thanks for the personal email. I also saw the copy on the OT Group.

      >>Open RegEdit.exe and click on the HotKey_Classes_Root - have fun
      scrolling. ;)<<<<<

      Based on your suggestions, I gingerly edited my registry. This
      is the very first time I have ever made any manual changes to the
      registry. I'm amazed to see that it is 12 megabytes!

      I am using Norton's SystemWorks 2000. It includes a registry
      utility that permits multiple backups of the registry, and it
      also permits easy searching for text in the registry. I used it
      to find and delete all references to NoHands*.*

      I also discovered that I had more than one association for TXT
      files. In Explorer File Types, I removed all associations for
      TXT and LOG. I then used that same screen to add new
      associations for LOG and TXT that all point to NTP using the NTP
      icon.

      The result is that newly created TXT files and LOG files show a
      proper Swiss flag icon. Problem solved. Reboot wasn't even
      necessary!

      I never would have edited the registry if you hadn't encouraged
      me to do so. Thank you for that.

      If you think others would benefit from this exercise, please
      forward this to the OT Group.

      Thank you again *big time*.

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ