Re: [NTO] re-writable CDs - WinZip and WinRAR

  • Len
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10, 2002
      Hello;

      Just picked up on this thread. Following a suggestion made by Jim Hall
      I have installed two mobile HDD holders and I have 3 HDDs that I can
      interchange when desired. I have an operating system on each HDD and
      file backups as needed. Very fast transfers compared to the CD-RW which
      I only use when I need a removable media. A 20 to 40 GB HDD now sells
      for less than a good CD-RW drive. I also keep an identical copy of the
      Primary (C) Drive on a second HDD in case of a crash. I use System
      Commander/Partition Commander software for drive imaging, however I have
      been told that Partition Magic is better.

      Good luck, Len

      At 04:33 PM 3/9/02 +0100, you wrote:

      >> I don't use WinRAR. I have no info about it.
      >
      >WinRAR is more efficient if you archive a lot of small text files (also
      >*.RTF, *.doc, and html). I mean the output is smaller than when you use
      >WinZip. On the other hand, sometimes RAR is slower than Zip. Anyhow, it
      >worth of considering.
      >
      >Wojciech
    • Jan Rosenstreich
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 13, 2002
        On Sun, 10 Mar 2002 14:00:14 -0800, Len <ntpandme@...> wrote:

        >Just picked up on this thread. Following a suggestion made by Jim Hall
        >I have installed two mobile HDD holders and I have 3 HDDs that I can
        >interchange when desired. I have an operating system on each HDD and
        >file backups as needed. Very fast transfers compared to the CD-RW which
        >I only use when I need a removable media. A 20 to 40 GB HDD now sells
        >for less than a good CD-RW drive. I also keep an identical copy of the
        >Primary (C) Drive on a second HDD in case of a crash.

        I know someone who uses a HDD for backup and likes it for speed and
        convenience. It works well for him. There are a few considerations that
        need to be considered to adequately protect your data.

        1. HDD are sensitive to shock, vibration, etc.
        2. A disastrous computer failure can scramble data on all HDD that are
        connected. So, your backup HDD has exposure while it is physically
        connected to your computer.
        3. A good backup strategy should include an offsite copy to guard against
        theft, fire, flood, etc. HDD are not too convenient for offsite copies
        compared to other backup media.

        You should probably use another backup medium as well to protect your
        "mission critical" data.

        Jan
        --
        Jan Rosenstreich
        Independent Distributor #130-646
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 14, 2002
          Hi Jan, et al;

          Using a CD-RW for backup would be preferable for many situations,
          especially in small business applications where multiple individual
          account histories are maintained. However I suspect that most users
          would find the a second HDD mounted in a mobile rack easier to use by
          simply backing up all necessary portions of the primary HDD.
          Further comments follow.

          >>I have installed two mobile HDD holders and I have 3 HDDs that I can
          >>interchange when desired.

          >I know someone who uses a HDD for backup and likes it for speed and
          >convenience. It works well for him. There are a few considerations that
          >need to be considered to adequately protect your data.
          >
          >1. HDD are sensitive to shock, vibration, etc.
          I have never had a hard drive failure (I know they do occur) while
          I have had several CDs damaged. An HDD does require occasional
          defragmentation and surface scanning.

          >2. A disastrous computer failure can scramble data on all HDD that are
          >connected. So, your backup HDD has exposure while it is physically
          >connected to your computer.
          I have had the OS and some applications on the primary C drive scrambled
          but all data and applications on other partitions were OK. A backup HDD
          in a mobile rack can easily be switched on and off while in place.
          I have to shutdown to do this but there are utilities available that
          facilitate hot swapping (I don't recall where I've seen these).

          >3. A good backup strategy should include an offsite copy to guard against
          >theft, fire, flood, etc. HDD are not too convenient for offsite copies
          >compared to other backup media.
          That would depend mostly on the number of HDDs needed.

          >You should probably use another backup medium as well to protect your
          >"mission critical" data.
          This would certainly be cheap insurance.

          Regards, Len