Re: [NTO] re-writable CDs - WinZip and WinRAR

  • Subscriber
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 9, 2002

      > I don't use WinRAR. I have no info about it.

      WinRAR is more efficient if you archive a lot of small text files (also
      *.RTF, *.doc, and html). I mean the output is smaller than when you use
      WinZip. On the other hand, sometimes RAR is slower than Zip. Anyhow, it
      worth of considering.

      Wojciech

      --

      Okresl Swoje potrzeby - my znajdziemy oferte za Ciebie!
      [ http://oferty.onet.pl ]
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 10, 2002
        Hello;

        Just picked up on this thread. Following a suggestion made by Jim Hall
        I have installed two mobile HDD holders and I have 3 HDDs that I can
        interchange when desired. I have an operating system on each HDD and
        file backups as needed. Very fast transfers compared to the CD-RW which
        I only use when I need a removable media. A 20 to 40 GB HDD now sells
        for less than a good CD-RW drive. I also keep an identical copy of the
        Primary (C) Drive on a second HDD in case of a crash. I use System
        Commander/Partition Commander software for drive imaging, however I have
        been told that Partition Magic is better.

        Good luck, Len

        At 04:33 PM 3/9/02 +0100, you wrote:

        >> I don't use WinRAR. I have no info about it.
        >
        >WinRAR is more efficient if you archive a lot of small text files (also
        >*.RTF, *.doc, and html). I mean the output is smaller than when you use
        >WinZip. On the other hand, sometimes RAR is slower than Zip. Anyhow, it
        >worth of considering.
        >
        >Wojciech
      • Jan Rosenstreich
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 13, 2002
          On Sun, 10 Mar 2002 14:00:14 -0800, Len <ntpandme@...> wrote:

          >Just picked up on this thread. Following a suggestion made by Jim Hall
          >I have installed two mobile HDD holders and I have 3 HDDs that I can
          >interchange when desired. I have an operating system on each HDD and
          >file backups as needed. Very fast transfers compared to the CD-RW which
          >I only use when I need a removable media. A 20 to 40 GB HDD now sells
          >for less than a good CD-RW drive. I also keep an identical copy of the
          >Primary (C) Drive on a second HDD in case of a crash.

          I know someone who uses a HDD for backup and likes it for speed and
          convenience. It works well for him. There are a few considerations that
          need to be considered to adequately protect your data.

          1. HDD are sensitive to shock, vibration, etc.
          2. A disastrous computer failure can scramble data on all HDD that are
          connected. So, your backup HDD has exposure while it is physically
          connected to your computer.
          3. A good backup strategy should include an offsite copy to guard against
          theft, fire, flood, etc. HDD are not too convenient for offsite copies
          compared to other backup media.

          You should probably use another backup medium as well to protect your
          "mission critical" data.

          Jan
          --
          Jan Rosenstreich
          Independent Distributor #130-646
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 14, 2002
            Hi Jan, et al;

            Using a CD-RW for backup would be preferable for many situations,
            especially in small business applications where multiple individual
            account histories are maintained. However I suspect that most users
            would find the a second HDD mounted in a mobile rack easier to use by
            simply backing up all necessary portions of the primary HDD.
            Further comments follow.

            >>I have installed two mobile HDD holders and I have 3 HDDs that I can
            >>interchange when desired.

            >I know someone who uses a HDD for backup and likes it for speed and
            >convenience. It works well for him. There are a few considerations that
            >need to be considered to adequately protect your data.
            >
            >1. HDD are sensitive to shock, vibration, etc.
            I have never had a hard drive failure (I know they do occur) while
            I have had several CDs damaged. An HDD does require occasional
            defragmentation and surface scanning.

            >2. A disastrous computer failure can scramble data on all HDD that are
            >connected. So, your backup HDD has exposure while it is physically
            >connected to your computer.
            I have had the OS and some applications on the primary C drive scrambled
            but all data and applications on other partitions were OK. A backup HDD
            in a mobile rack can easily be switched on and off while in place.
            I have to shutdown to do this but there are utilities available that
            facilitate hot swapping (I don't recall where I've seen these).

            >3. A good backup strategy should include an offsite copy to guard against
            >theft, fire, flood, etc. HDD are not too convenient for offsite copies
            >compared to other backup media.
            That would depend mostly on the number of HDDs needed.

            >You should probably use another backup medium as well to protect your
            >"mission critical" data.
            This would certainly be cheap insurance.

            Regards, Len