Re: [NTO] re-writable CDs

  • Subscriber
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 9, 2002
      Hi Ray,

      > I have the type 1 USB. Can you give some speed estimate of reading and
      > writing at 2x? Also, are reading and writing speeds the same?

      To my understanding 2x means two times faster than at the "base" speed,
      i.e.. 1x. In other words, if you need some 70 minutes to burn the whole CD
      (650 MB) at 1x, it takes 35 minutes at 2x, 17,5 at 4x and so on.

      Speed of reading and writing are definitely two different things. Reading is
      always much faster and does not depend on the speed with which given CD was
      written. All speeds are always indicated next to the drive name as three
      numbers. The first means the speed of writing the CD-Rs, the second - speed
      of writing the CD-RWs (usually the lowest), and the third - speed of reading
      (the highest). For example, my CD-RW has the following characteristics:
      4/4/6. It means that I can record CD-R and the CD-RW at the 4x, and read
      them at 6x.

      But there is also another parameter included, namely the speed of transfer
      of data between your computer and an external CD-RW drive. This exactly what
      depends on the type of connection. Briefly: the parallel port is the
      slowest, the USB is better, the Firewire is the best. As I mentioned, I have
      USB version 1, and this probably why I can use only 2x and not 4x speed for
      writing.

      But as long as one do not copy the whole CD but operates on archive or
      backup files of around 200-300 MB each, the 2x is OK, meaning that you need
      some 10-15 minutes for one file.

      Best regards,

      Wojciech

      --

      Okresl Swoje potrzeby - my znajdziemy oferte za Ciebie!
      [ http://oferty.onet.pl ]
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 9, 2002
        On 08.03.02 at 21:58 Subscriber wrote:
        >>Your best bet is to find a backup program that supports CDRW
        drives. Many of them now support Tapes, CDRW, Zip disks, etc.

        >Could you please recommend one?

        >You should be able to use any program because windows writes to
        your CD-RW via a packet writer (which you get included with
        current CD burning >>software), so you can write to it like any
        other drive.

        I just wanted to add to the conversation that not ALL Packet
        Writers support writing to CD-R media (versus CD-RW media). In
        fact, this appears to be the NORM, not the exception.

        Also, I have used a 1999 edition of Veritas Backup Exec and it
        would NOT recognize my IDE CD-RW nor my USB ZIP drive. That was
        the last Veritas I intend to purchase; I absolutely could not
        determine from their retail box nor their web site what EXACTLY
        was supported as back up devices before purchase. It looked good
        to me. I was disappointed.

        Regards,
        Christopher J. Spilker
        mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
      • Marcus
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 9, 2002
          On 09.03.02 at 12:40 Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker wrote:
          >Also, I have used a 1999 edition of Veritas Backup Exec and it
          >would NOT recognize my IDE CD-RW nor my USB ZIP drive.

          That's an important issue. With CD software you need to check that it
          supports your drive. I had an "old" version of CDRWin from April 2001,
          but it could not know my new drive because it wasn't in production back
          then.

          Marcus
        • Jan Rosenstreich
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 13, 2002
            On Fri, 8 Mar 2002 21:58:03 +0100, <subscribergsf@...> wrote:

            >>Your best bet is to find a backup program
            >>that supports CDRW drives. Many of them now support Tapes, CDRW, Zip
            >>disks, etc.
            >
            >Could you please recommend one?

            I use a program called Backup Executive. I don't recall the name of the
            company since it has changed twice since I originally purchased it.

            Jan
            --
            Jan Rosenstreich
            Independent Distributor #130-646