Re: [NTO] re-writable CDs

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 8, 2002
      Hi Wojciech

      >>>>>Does it work also with WinRAR?<<<

      I don't use WinRAR. I have no info about it.

      Sorry,

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ
    • Marcus
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 8, 2002
        On 08.03.02 at 21:58 Subscriber wrote:
        >>Your best bet is to find a backup program
        >>that supports CDRW drives. Many of them now support Tapes, CDRW, Zip
        >>disks, etc.
        >
        >Could you please recommend one?

        You should be able to use any program because windows writes to your
        CD-RW via a packet writer (which you get included with current CD
        burning software), so you can write to it like any other drive.

        Marcus
      • Subscriber
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 9, 2002
          Hi Ray,

          > I have the type 1 USB. Can you give some speed estimate of reading and
          > writing at 2x? Also, are reading and writing speeds the same?

          To my understanding 2x means two times faster than at the "base" speed,
          i.e.. 1x. In other words, if you need some 70 minutes to burn the whole CD
          (650 MB) at 1x, it takes 35 minutes at 2x, 17,5 at 4x and so on.

          Speed of reading and writing are definitely two different things. Reading is
          always much faster and does not depend on the speed with which given CD was
          written. All speeds are always indicated next to the drive name as three
          numbers. The first means the speed of writing the CD-Rs, the second - speed
          of writing the CD-RWs (usually the lowest), and the third - speed of reading
          (the highest). For example, my CD-RW has the following characteristics:
          4/4/6. It means that I can record CD-R and the CD-RW at the 4x, and read
          them at 6x.

          But there is also another parameter included, namely the speed of transfer
          of data between your computer and an external CD-RW drive. This exactly what
          depends on the type of connection. Briefly: the parallel port is the
          slowest, the USB is better, the Firewire is the best. As I mentioned, I have
          USB version 1, and this probably why I can use only 2x and not 4x speed for
          writing.

          But as long as one do not copy the whole CD but operates on archive or
          backup files of around 200-300 MB each, the 2x is OK, meaning that you need
          some 10-15 minutes for one file.

          Best regards,

          Wojciech

          --

          Okresl Swoje potrzeby - my znajdziemy oferte za Ciebie!
          [ http://oferty.onet.pl ]
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 9, 2002
            On 08.03.02 at 21:58 Subscriber wrote:
            >>Your best bet is to find a backup program that supports CDRW
            drives. Many of them now support Tapes, CDRW, Zip disks, etc.

            >Could you please recommend one?

            >You should be able to use any program because windows writes to
            your CD-RW via a packet writer (which you get included with
            current CD burning >>software), so you can write to it like any
            other drive.

            I just wanted to add to the conversation that not ALL Packet
            Writers support writing to CD-R media (versus CD-RW media). In
            fact, this appears to be the NORM, not the exception.

            Also, I have used a 1999 edition of Veritas Backup Exec and it
            would NOT recognize my IDE CD-RW nor my USB ZIP drive. That was
            the last Veritas I intend to purchase; I absolutely could not
            determine from their retail box nor their web site what EXACTLY
            was supported as back up devices before purchase. It looked good
            to me. I was disappointed.

            Regards,
            Christopher J. Spilker
            mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
          • Marcus
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 9, 2002
              On 09.03.02 at 12:40 Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker wrote:
              >Also, I have used a 1999 edition of Veritas Backup Exec and it
              >would NOT recognize my IDE CD-RW nor my USB ZIP drive.

              That's an important issue. With CD software you need to check that it
              supports your drive. I had an "old" version of CDRWin from April 2001,
              but it could not know my new drive because it wasn't in production back
              then.

              Marcus
            • Jan Rosenstreich
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 13, 2002
                On Fri, 8 Mar 2002 21:58:03 +0100, <subscribergsf@...> wrote:

                >>Your best bet is to find a backup program
                >>that supports CDRW drives. Many of them now support Tapes, CDRW, Zip
                >>disks, etc.
                >
                >Could you please recommend one?

                I use a program called Backup Executive. I don't recall the name of the
                company since it has changed twice since I originally purchased it.

                Jan
                --
                Jan Rosenstreich
                Independent Distributor #130-646