Re: [NTO] re-writable CDs

  • Carl Swann
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 8, 2002
      Subscriber wrote:

      > Dear Carl,
      >
      > >For backup, I use a freeware program called "My Own
      > >Backup v2.1"
      > >I created target zip files onto my backup CD, directed
      > >the backup software to run specific sets for each zip
      > >file, and turn it loose every Wednesday.

      Sorry for delay in replying... I'm suffering worst computer crash
      ever, so I'm lucky to be able to access e-mail right now... :-/

      > Could you please elaborate your backup strategy a little bit more?
      > Especially, why do you need another software for retrieval?

      I wasn't clear there, sorry. MOB will restore the files just fine. I
      was making reference to the fact that I'll often want to simply open a
      file that's in the archive (such as a .doc file, just to read its
      content for a project). I use Powerdesk 4.0, choose my CD drive in it,
      go to the zip archive I want, look down the tree untill I find the
      file I'm looking for, then double-click it in the Powerdesk tree
      window. Powerdesk calls on WinWord to open the file and I read it. I
      can even copy from it to paste into another open document if I wish.
      When I'm through, I close the document, then close Powerdesk. Thus,
      I've been able to access a file in the archive *without having to
      restore it*.

      >What do
      > you mean
      > by "target zip files"? Do you simply add new files to existing
      > archives?

      Correct - again, I wasn't very clear... sorry.

      Hope this helps. (Now pray for me & my machine :-)

      Carl
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 8, 2002
        Hi Wojciech

        I don't use WinRAR. I have no info about it.

        Sorry,

        Ray Shapp
        Watchung, NJ
      • Marcus
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 8, 2002
          On 08.03.02 at 21:58 Subscriber wrote:
          >>Your best bet is to find a backup program
          >>that supports CDRW drives. Many of them now support Tapes, CDRW, Zip
          >>disks, etc.
          >
          >Could you please recommend one?

          You should be able to use any program because windows writes to your
          CD-RW via a packet writer (which you get included with current CD
          burning software), so you can write to it like any other drive.

          Marcus
        • Subscriber
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 9, 2002
            Hi Ray,

            > I have the type 1 USB. Can you give some speed estimate of reading and
            > writing at 2x? Also, are reading and writing speeds the same?

            To my understanding 2x means two times faster than at the "base" speed,
            i.e.. 1x. In other words, if you need some 70 minutes to burn the whole CD
            (650 MB) at 1x, it takes 35 minutes at 2x, 17,5 at 4x and so on.

            Speed of reading and writing are definitely two different things. Reading is
            always much faster and does not depend on the speed with which given CD was
            written. All speeds are always indicated next to the drive name as three
            numbers. The first means the speed of writing the CD-Rs, the second - speed
            of writing the CD-RWs (usually the lowest), and the third - speed of reading
            (the highest). For example, my CD-RW has the following characteristics:
            4/4/6. It means that I can record CD-R and the CD-RW at the 4x, and read
            them at 6x.

            But there is also another parameter included, namely the speed of transfer
            of data between your computer and an external CD-RW drive. This exactly what
            depends on the type of connection. Briefly: the parallel port is the
            slowest, the USB is better, the Firewire is the best. As I mentioned, I have
            USB version 1, and this probably why I can use only 2x and not 4x speed for
            writing.

            But as long as one do not copy the whole CD but operates on archive or
            backup files of around 200-300 MB each, the 2x is OK, meaning that you need
            some 10-15 minutes for one file.

            Best regards,

            Wojciech

            --

            Okresl Swoje potrzeby - my znajdziemy oferte za Ciebie!
            [ http://oferty.onet.pl ]
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 9, 2002
              On 08.03.02 at 21:58 Subscriber wrote:
              >>Your best bet is to find a backup program that supports CDRW
              drives. Many of them now support Tapes, CDRW, Zip disks, etc.

              >Could you please recommend one?

              >You should be able to use any program because windows writes to
              your CD-RW via a packet writer (which you get included with
              current CD burning >>software), so you can write to it like any
              other drive.

              I just wanted to add to the conversation that not ALL Packet
              Writers support writing to CD-R media (versus CD-RW media). In
              fact, this appears to be the NORM, not the exception.

              Also, I have used a 1999 edition of Veritas Backup Exec and it
              would NOT recognize my IDE CD-RW nor my USB ZIP drive. That was
              the last Veritas I intend to purchase; I absolutely could not
              determine from their retail box nor their web site what EXACTLY
              was supported as back up devices before purchase. It looked good
              to me. I was disappointed.

              Regards,
              Christopher J. Spilker
              mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
            • Marcus
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 9, 2002
                On 09.03.02 at 12:40 Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker wrote:
                >Also, I have used a 1999 edition of Veritas Backup Exec and it
                >would NOT recognize my IDE CD-RW nor my USB ZIP drive.

                That's an important issue. With CD software you need to check that it
                supports your drive. I had an "old" version of CDRWin from April 2001,
                but it could not know my new drive because it wasn't in production back
                then.

                Marcus
              • Jan Rosenstreich
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 13, 2002
                  On Fri, 8 Mar 2002 21:58:03 +0100, <subscribergsf@...> wrote:

                  >>Your best bet is to find a backup program
                  >>that supports CDRW drives. Many of them now support Tapes, CDRW, Zip
                  >>disks, etc.
                  >
                  >Could you please recommend one?

                  I use a program called Backup Executive. I don't recall the name of the
                  company since it has changed twice since I originally purchased it.

                  Jan
                  --
                  Jan Rosenstreich
                  Independent Distributor #130-646