Re: [NTO] re-writable CDs

  • Subscriber
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 8, 2002
      Dear Carl,

      >For backup, I use a freeware program called "My Own
      >Backup v2.1" (original name, eh?) that's available on
      >all the major freeware sites on the web. For
      >retrieval, I use PowerDesk 4.0 (also a freeware
      >program).
      >
      >I created target zip files onto my backup CD, directed
      >the backup software to run specific sets for each zip
      >file, and turn it loose every Wednesday.
      >
      >Works 100%. If you have specific questions, you may
      >write me in private e-mail - or if it's a
      >general-interest question, I'll try to field it here
      >on Yahoo.

      Could you please elaborate your backup strategy a little bit more?
      Especially, why do you need another software for retrieval? What do you mean
      by "target zip files"? Do you simply add new files to existing archives?

      Best regards,

      Wojciech

      --

      Okresl Swoje potrzeby - my znajdziemy oferte za Ciebie!
      [ http://oferty.onet.pl ]
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 8, 2002
        Subscriber wrote:

        > Dear Carl,
        >
        > >For backup, I use a freeware program called "My Own
        > >Backup v2.1"
        > >I created target zip files onto my backup CD, directed
        > >the backup software to run specific sets for each zip
        > >file, and turn it loose every Wednesday.

        Sorry for delay in replying... I'm suffering worst computer crash
        ever, so I'm lucky to be able to access e-mail right now... :-/

        > Could you please elaborate your backup strategy a little bit more?
        > Especially, why do you need another software for retrieval?

        I wasn't clear there, sorry. MOB will restore the files just fine. I
        was making reference to the fact that I'll often want to simply open a
        file that's in the archive (such as a .doc file, just to read its
        content for a project). I use Powerdesk 4.0, choose my CD drive in it,
        go to the zip archive I want, look down the tree untill I find the
        file I'm looking for, then double-click it in the Powerdesk tree
        window. Powerdesk calls on WinWord to open the file and I read it. I
        can even copy from it to paste into another open document if I wish.
        When I'm through, I close the document, then close Powerdesk. Thus,
        I've been able to access a file in the archive *without having to
        restore it*.

        >What do
        > you mean
        > by "target zip files"? Do you simply add new files to existing
        > archives?

        Correct - again, I wasn't very clear... sorry.

        Hope this helps. (Now pray for me & my machine :-)

        Carl
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 8, 2002
          Hi Wojciech

          I don't use WinRAR. I have no info about it.

          Sorry,

          Ray Shapp
          Watchung, NJ
        • Marcus
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 8, 2002
            On 08.03.02 at 21:58 Subscriber wrote:
            >>Your best bet is to find a backup program
            >>that supports CDRW drives. Many of them now support Tapes, CDRW, Zip
            >>disks, etc.
            >
            >Could you please recommend one?

            You should be able to use any program because windows writes to your
            CD-RW via a packet writer (which you get included with current CD
            burning software), so you can write to it like any other drive.

            Marcus
          • Subscriber
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 9, 2002
              Hi Ray,

              > I have the type 1 USB. Can you give some speed estimate of reading and
              > writing at 2x? Also, are reading and writing speeds the same?

              To my understanding 2x means two times faster than at the "base" speed,
              i.e.. 1x. In other words, if you need some 70 minutes to burn the whole CD
              (650 MB) at 1x, it takes 35 minutes at 2x, 17,5 at 4x and so on.

              Speed of reading and writing are definitely two different things. Reading is
              always much faster and does not depend on the speed with which given CD was
              written. All speeds are always indicated next to the drive name as three
              numbers. The first means the speed of writing the CD-Rs, the second - speed
              of writing the CD-RWs (usually the lowest), and the third - speed of reading
              (the highest). For example, my CD-RW has the following characteristics:
              4/4/6. It means that I can record CD-R and the CD-RW at the 4x, and read
              them at 6x.

              But there is also another parameter included, namely the speed of transfer
              of data between your computer and an external CD-RW drive. This exactly what
              depends on the type of connection. Briefly: the parallel port is the
              slowest, the USB is better, the Firewire is the best. As I mentioned, I have
              USB version 1, and this probably why I can use only 2x and not 4x speed for
              writing.

              But as long as one do not copy the whole CD but operates on archive or
              backup files of around 200-300 MB each, the 2x is OK, meaning that you need
              some 10-15 minutes for one file.

              Best regards,

              Wojciech

              --

              Okresl Swoje potrzeby - my znajdziemy oferte za Ciebie!
              [ http://oferty.onet.pl ]
            • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 9, 2002
                On 08.03.02 at 21:58 Subscriber wrote:
                >>Your best bet is to find a backup program that supports CDRW
                drives. Many of them now support Tapes, CDRW, Zip disks, etc.

                >Could you please recommend one?

                >You should be able to use any program because windows writes to
                your CD-RW via a packet writer (which you get included with
                current CD burning >>software), so you can write to it like any
                other drive.

                I just wanted to add to the conversation that not ALL Packet
                Writers support writing to CD-R media (versus CD-RW media). In
                fact, this appears to be the NORM, not the exception.

                Also, I have used a 1999 edition of Veritas Backup Exec and it
                would NOT recognize my IDE CD-RW nor my USB ZIP drive. That was
                the last Veritas I intend to purchase; I absolutely could not
                determine from their retail box nor their web site what EXACTLY
                was supported as back up devices before purchase. It looked good
                to me. I was disappointed.

                Regards,
                Christopher J. Spilker
                mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
              • Marcus
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 9, 2002
                  On 09.03.02 at 12:40 Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker wrote:
                  >Also, I have used a 1999 edition of Veritas Backup Exec and it
                  >would NOT recognize my IDE CD-RW nor my USB ZIP drive.

                  That's an important issue. With CD software you need to check that it
                  supports your drive. I had an "old" version of CDRWin from April 2001,
                  but it could not know my new drive because it wasn't in production back
                  then.

                  Marcus
                • Jan Rosenstreich
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 13, 2002
                    On Fri, 8 Mar 2002 21:58:03 +0100, <subscribergsf@...> wrote:

                    >>Your best bet is to find a backup program
                    >>that supports CDRW drives. Many of them now support Tapes, CDRW, Zip
                    >>disks, etc.
                    >
                    >Could you please recommend one?

                    I use a program called Backup Executive. I don't recall the name of the
                    company since it has changed twice since I originally purchased it.

                    Jan
                    --
                    Jan Rosenstreich
                    Independent Distributor #130-646