Re: [NTO] re-writable CDs

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 6, 2002
      Hi Jody,

      The URL for My Own Backup is >>>
      http://home4.swipnet.se/~w-42000/MOB/

      I didn't test the features you mentioned, but MOB is handling CD-RW ok. The
      original tree structure is maintained if you backup without compression. If
      you do specify compression, you get everything in one zip file made by
      WinZip, therefore, it is in a standard format preserving the fully qualified
      file names.

      My only qualm is that the website and the program haven't been updated since
      November 1999. I wouldn't expect a lot of support but you sure can't beat
      the price!

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ
    • Jan Rosenstreich
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 7, 2002
        On Mon, 4 Mar 2002 17:37:57 -0500, you wrote:

        >Are re-writable CDs suitable media for use in backups of PC files? When I
        >last read about the technology, the re-writable media weren't reliable
        >enough for many routine re-write cycles. Also, most re-writable CD burners
        >couldn't append new files to a CD without destroying previous contents. In
        >order to write 10 new megabytes to a CD that already had 100 MB, one had to
        >copy the 100MB to the hard drive, and then write all 110 MB to the CD in a
        >single, uninterrupted operation.

        I am using a CDRW burner to backup my files. With compression, you can
        backup close to 1 Gig on a disk (depending on content - some files
        compress better than others). Your best bet is to find a backup program
        that supports CDRW drives. Many of them now support Tapes, CDRW, Zip
        disks, etc. A backup program will allow you to easily do full backups,
        append new files, do a selective backup, backup only changed files, etc.
        You can accomplish the above using other means, but I find a dedicated
        backup program makes it easier.

        >I'm currently using 250MB zip disks for backup, but I will install the
        >re-writable CD burner if the earlier limitations have been overcome.

        A 250 MB zip disk (even with compression) wouldn't to it for me. I hate
        swapping disks and I have almost 1 GIG of data to routinely backup.

        Jan
        --
        Jan Rosenstreich
        Independent Distributor #130-646
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 8, 2002
          Dear Jan,

          >Your best bet is to find a backup program
          >that supports CDRW drives. Many of them now support Tapes, CDRW, Zip
          >disks, etc.

          Could you please recommend one?

          Wojciech

          --

          Okresl Swoje potrzeby - my znajdziemy oferte za Ciebie!
          [ http://oferty.onet.pl ]
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 8, 2002
            Dear Ray,

            >If
            >you do specify compression, you get everything in one zip file made by
            >WinZip, therefore, it is in a standard format preserving the fully
            qualified
            >file names.

            Does it work also with WinRAR?

            Wojciech

            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 8, 2002
              Dear Ray,

              >I'd now like to know whether anyone has first hand experience with an
              >external CD-RW drive connected to a PC through the USB port. I'm
              >considering buying one for the second PC (mentioned above) to give it RW
              >capability. I intend to stick with 1x, 2x, 4x media, therefore, I'd like
              >know whether the I/O speed of an external CD_RW drive would be appreciably
              >slower than an internal unit.

              I have been using Iomega external CD-RW "Predator" for about half a year
              (bought for my laptop). It is connected through USB, version 1 (version 2 -
              a new standard - is told to be much faster). I make major backups, store
              archives, sometimes even use it as a second hard drive, and I am quite
              satisfied. Only one remark: for some reasons it works OK with 2x speed, but
              when set for 4x, the drive begins to behave in a strange manner and refuses
              to write.

              Best regards,

              Wojciech

              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 8, 2002
                Dear Carl,

                >For backup, I use a freeware program called "My Own
                >Backup v2.1" (original name, eh?) that's available on
                >all the major freeware sites on the web. For
                >retrieval, I use PowerDesk 4.0 (also a freeware
                >program).
                >
                >I created target zip files onto my backup CD, directed
                >the backup software to run specific sets for each zip
                >file, and turn it loose every Wednesday.
                >
                >Works 100%. If you have specific questions, you may
                >write me in private e-mail - or if it's a
                >general-interest question, I'll try to field it here
                >on Yahoo.

                Could you please elaborate your backup strategy a little bit more?
                Especially, why do you need another software for retrieval? What do you mean
                by "target zip files"? Do you simply add new files to existing archives?

                Best regards,

                Wojciech

                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 8, 2002
                  Hi Wojciech,

                  I have the type 1 USB. Can you give some speed estimate of reading and
                  writing at 2x? Also, are reading and writing speeds the same?

                  Thanks for your help.

                  Ray Shapp
                  Watchung, NJ
                • Carl Swann
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 8, 2002
                    Subscriber wrote:

                    > Dear Carl,
                    >
                    > >For backup, I use a freeware program called "My Own
                    > >Backup v2.1"
                    > >I created target zip files onto my backup CD, directed
                    > >the backup software to run specific sets for each zip
                    > >file, and turn it loose every Wednesday.

                    Sorry for delay in replying... I'm suffering worst computer crash
                    ever, so I'm lucky to be able to access e-mail right now... :-/

                    > Could you please elaborate your backup strategy a little bit more?
                    > Especially, why do you need another software for retrieval?

                    I wasn't clear there, sorry. MOB will restore the files just fine. I
                    was making reference to the fact that I'll often want to simply open a
                    file that's in the archive (such as a .doc file, just to read its
                    content for a project). I use Powerdesk 4.0, choose my CD drive in it,
                    go to the zip archive I want, look down the tree untill I find the
                    file I'm looking for, then double-click it in the Powerdesk tree
                    window. Powerdesk calls on WinWord to open the file and I read it. I
                    can even copy from it to paste into another open document if I wish.
                    When I'm through, I close the document, then close Powerdesk. Thus,
                    I've been able to access a file in the archive *without having to
                    restore it*.

                    >What do
                    > you mean
                    > by "target zip files"? Do you simply add new files to existing
                    > archives?

                    Correct - again, I wasn't very clear... sorry.

                    Hope this helps. (Now pray for me & my machine :-)

                    Carl
                  • Ray Shapp
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 8, 2002
                      Hi Wojciech

                      I don't use WinRAR. I have no info about it.

                      Sorry,

                      Ray Shapp
                      Watchung, NJ
                    • Marcus
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 8, 2002
                        On 08.03.02 at 21:58 Subscriber wrote:
                        >>Your best bet is to find a backup program
                        >>that supports CDRW drives. Many of them now support Tapes, CDRW, Zip
                        >>disks, etc.
                        >
                        >Could you please recommend one?

                        You should be able to use any program because windows writes to your
                        CD-RW via a packet writer (which you get included with current CD
                        burning software), so you can write to it like any other drive.

                        Marcus
                      • Subscriber
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 9, 2002
                          Hi Ray,

                          > I have the type 1 USB. Can you give some speed estimate of reading and
                          > writing at 2x? Also, are reading and writing speeds the same?

                          To my understanding 2x means two times faster than at the "base" speed,
                          i.e.. 1x. In other words, if you need some 70 minutes to burn the whole CD
                          (650 MB) at 1x, it takes 35 minutes at 2x, 17,5 at 4x and so on.

                          Speed of reading and writing are definitely two different things. Reading is
                          always much faster and does not depend on the speed with which given CD was
                          written. All speeds are always indicated next to the drive name as three
                          numbers. The first means the speed of writing the CD-Rs, the second - speed
                          of writing the CD-RWs (usually the lowest), and the third - speed of reading
                          (the highest). For example, my CD-RW has the following characteristics:
                          4/4/6. It means that I can record CD-R and the CD-RW at the 4x, and read
                          them at 6x.

                          But there is also another parameter included, namely the speed of transfer
                          of data between your computer and an external CD-RW drive. This exactly what
                          depends on the type of connection. Briefly: the parallel port is the
                          slowest, the USB is better, the Firewire is the best. As I mentioned, I have
                          USB version 1, and this probably why I can use only 2x and not 4x speed for
                          writing.

                          But as long as one do not copy the whole CD but operates on archive or
                          backup files of around 200-300 MB each, the 2x is OK, meaning that you need
                          some 10-15 minutes for one file.

                          Best regards,

                          Wojciech

                          --

                          Okresl Swoje potrzeby - my znajdziemy oferte za Ciebie!
                          [ http://oferty.onet.pl ]
                        • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 9, 2002
                            On 08.03.02 at 21:58 Subscriber wrote:
                            >>Your best bet is to find a backup program that supports CDRW
                            drives. Many of them now support Tapes, CDRW, Zip disks, etc.

                            >Could you please recommend one?

                            >You should be able to use any program because windows writes to
                            your CD-RW via a packet writer (which you get included with
                            current CD burning >>software), so you can write to it like any
                            other drive.

                            I just wanted to add to the conversation that not ALL Packet
                            Writers support writing to CD-R media (versus CD-RW media). In
                            fact, this appears to be the NORM, not the exception.

                            Also, I have used a 1999 edition of Veritas Backup Exec and it
                            would NOT recognize my IDE CD-RW nor my USB ZIP drive. That was
                            the last Veritas I intend to purchase; I absolutely could not
                            determine from their retail box nor their web site what EXACTLY
                            was supported as back up devices before purchase. It looked good
                            to me. I was disappointed.

                            Regards,
                            Christopher J. Spilker
                            mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
                          • Marcus
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 9, 2002
                              On 09.03.02 at 12:40 Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker wrote:
                              >Also, I have used a 1999 edition of Veritas Backup Exec and it
                              >would NOT recognize my IDE CD-RW nor my USB ZIP drive.

                              That's an important issue. With CD software you need to check that it
                              supports your drive. I had an "old" version of CDRWin from April 2001,
                              but it could not know my new drive because it wasn't in production back
                              then.

                              Marcus
                            • Jan Rosenstreich
                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 13, 2002
                                On Fri, 8 Mar 2002 21:58:03 +0100, <subscribergsf@...> wrote:

                                >>Your best bet is to find a backup program
                                >>that supports CDRW drives. Many of them now support Tapes, CDRW, Zip
                                >>disks, etc.
                                >
                                >Could you please recommend one?

                                I use a program called Backup Executive. I don't recall the name of the
                                company since it has changed twice since I originally purchased it.

                                Jan