re-writable CDs

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 4, 2002
      Hi Group,

      Are re-writable CDs suitable media for use in backups of PC files? When I
      last read about the technology, the re-writable media weren't reliable
      enough for many routine re-write cycles. Also, most re-writable CD burners
      couldn't append new files to a CD without destroying previous contents. In
      order to write 10 new megabytes to a CD that already had 100 MB, one had to
      copy the 100MB to the hard drive, and then write all 110 MB to the CD in a
      single, uninterrupted operation.

      I'm currently using 250MB zip disks for backup, but I will install the
      re-writable CD burner if the earlier limitations have been overcome.

      Thanks for your opinions.

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ
    • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 5, 2002
        Ray,

        RE: Are re-writable CDs suitable media for use in backups
        of PC files? When I last read about the technology, the
        re-writable media weren't reliable enough for many routine
        re-write cycles. Also, most re-writable CD burners couldn't
        append new files to a CD without destroying previous contents. In
        order to write 10 new megabytes to a CD that already had 100 MB,
        one had to copy the 100MB to the hard drive, and then write all
        110 MB to the CD in a single, uninterrupted operation.

        I'm currently using 250MB zip disks for backup, but I will
        install the re-writable CD burner if the earlier limitations have
        been overcome.

        Answer: Ray, fear not, the new CD-RW units work as
        advertised and act just like a hard drive with regards to file
        adds and deletions. They say a CD-RW media disk can go some
        1,000 Erase/Write cyles and they are improving that. I use CD-RW
        just like a hard drive. Be aware that today there are two speeds
        of CD-RW media: 4x and 10x. No, you can not write at 10x with a
        10x CD-RW unit to a 4x CD-RW media disk (speed is coded onto the
        disk)! Also, CD-ROM (read-only units) that are approximately two
        years or older CAN NOT read CD-RW media, should you have the need
        to read your CD-RW media in another computer.

        Good luck to you. The toughest choice is WHAT CD-RW burning
        software should you use. I use Roxio Easy Cd Creator and, at
        times, NERO software. There are others.

        Regards,
        Christopher J. Spilker
        mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
      • Carl Swann
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 5, 2002
          --- Ray Shapp <rayshapp@...> wrote:
          > Hi Group,
          >
          > Are re-writable CDs suitable media for use in
          > backups of PC files?

          Hi Ray - I've been using my Sony CD-RW drive as a
          backup for my critical (ie, unique) files such as my
          clients' documents, my entire NoteTab Pro folder &
          contents, personal files for church & lessons, all of
          the e-mails cached in both programs that my wife and I
          use, client & church & personal web page files, and
          much more. I've had numerous occasions to access and
          retrieve particular files, and the CD medium has never
          been a problem.

          For backup, I use a freeware program called "My Own
          Backup v2.1" (original name, eh?) that's available on
          all the major freeware sites on the web. For
          retrieval, I use PowerDesk 4.0 (also a freeware
          program).

          I created target zip files onto my backup CD, directed
          the backup software to run specific sets for each zip
          file, and turn it loose every Wednesday.

          Works 100%. If you have specific questions, you may
          write me in private e-mail - or if it's a
          general-interest question, I'll try to field it here
          on Yahoo.

          Carl

          http://mail.yahoo.com/
        • stephen riddle
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 5, 2002
            Hi Ray,
            Yes they are, and easier for me to use than ZIP drives (which, by the great
            are pretty darned good.)
            You might shop for free software which will keep a CD open after writing to
            it.
            I have Adaptec (which came with my Phillips CD-RW, but I believe it is free.)
            They have a program which uses a CD-RW just as if it were a hard drive. It
            worked well, but I found it is much faster to just completly delete the old
            cd and write to an empty cd.
            You might try compressing your files first,. When you copy from a CD
            onto a hard disk, it is written as a read-only file and this can do some
            surprising (but fixable) things to your ability to use some of these files.
            Good luck,
            Stephen

            On Monday 04 March 2002 14:37, you wrote:

            > Hi Group,
            >
            > Are re-writable CDs suitable media for use in backups of PC files? When I
            > last read about the technology, the re-writable media weren't reliable
            > enough for many routine re-write cycles. . . .
          • Marcus
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 5, 2002
              On 04.03.02 at 17:37 Ray Shapp wrote:
              >Are re-writable CDs suitable media for use in backups of PC files?

              With a packet writer like "InCD" which comes with Nero, it's no problem
              because your CD-RW is just like any other drive. I've not tested it
              properly yet for backups, but it works and looks great to me. Better
              than using multi-session disks and throwing them away, imo. Less to
              buy, less to organize, and less waste.

              The packer writer sits in your tray, monitoring for a CD-RW disk, and
              maps a drive letter to it.

              Marcus
            • Ray Shapp
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 5, 2002
                Hi Christopher and Carl,

                Thanks for the info re CD-RW for routine use in backups.

                I wasn't aware that the media are speed-specific! I have one multi-speed CD
                disk which is labeled 1x, 2x, 4x. I wrote onto it several batches of files
                (about twenty files) and read them back on a different computer using a
                read-only CD drive with no problem. Is there any chance this 18-month old
                read-only CD drive would have a problem reading a 10x CD?

                I'll look for "My Own Backup v2.1", but right now, I'm planning to use the
                Windows backup utility or WinZip. Can you expand a little on what you mean
                by>>>>

                software to run specific sets for each zip file, and turn it loose every
                Wednesday.<<<<<<<

                Thanks again for the help,

                Ray Shapp
                Watchung, NJ
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 5, 2002
                  On 3/4/02 4:37 PM, Ray Shapp wrote:

                  >Hi Group,
                  >
                  >Are re-writable CDs suitable media for use in backups of PC files? When I
                  >last read about the technology, the re-writable media weren't reliable
                  >enough for many routine re-write cycles.
                  >

                  >Also, most re-writable CD burners
                  >couldn't append new files to a CD without destroying previous contents. In
                  >order to write 10 new megabytes to a CD that already had 100 MB, one had to
                  >copy the 100MB to the hard drive, and then write all 110 MB to the CD in a
                  >single, uninterrupted operation.
                  >
                  >Thanks for your opinions.
                  >
                  >Ray Shapp
                  >Watchung, NJ

                  Ray,

                  Burners have improved considerably from the state you describe. I use
                  one all the time for drag and drop file saving. They aren't perfect yet
                  and you need to try several different brands of CD-RW disks to find the
                  most serviceable.

                  hrs
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 6, 2002
                    Hi Ray,

                    >Are re-writable CDs suitable media for use in backups of PC files?

                    They are good if used on the same CD writer or the newer CD
                    drives. A lot of the older CD drives cannot read the CD-RW
                    format. At the time that those CDs were made there was no such
                    thing as CD-RW. Things might have improved over that last year
                    or so with the CD Writers and CD-RWs so that they work on any CD
                    drive now. I always use CDRs since I can get 100 for about 35
                    cents each and I know they work on all CD drives (provided the CD
                    is good of course;).

                    I use an HP CD Writer Plus (9200i I believe) and out of over 500
                    CDs burned only about 5 were bad and that could have been due to
                    a bad batch of CDs since they were all in one of the 100 spindle
                    packs I buy. It is best to not do any other activity on your
                    computer when burning them also. That may have attributed to the
                    few I had bad. I make it a point know to just let it go until I
                    hear the CD tray eject (working on another computer).

                  • Ray Shapp
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 6, 2002
                      Thanks to all who replied.

                      As suggested by Carl Swann, I downloaded the freeware program, My Own
                      Backups, and have been experimenting with a relatively new CD-RW drive and a
                      1x, 2x, 4x re-writable disk. The MOB program is able to incorporate WinZip
                      seamlessly. I'm even considering using a NT clip to invoke MOB to run
                      specific backup sets.

                      On a second computer which contains an 18-month-old read-only CD drive, I
                      can access the previously written files and folders using Win98 Explorer.
                      This could be an ideal setup for my needs.

                      I'd now like to know whether anyone has first hand experience with an
                      external CD-RW drive connected to a PC through the USB port. I'm
                      considering buying one for the second PC (mentioned above) to give it RW
                      capability. I intend to stick with 1x, 2x, 4x media, therefore, I'd like to
                      know whether the I/O speed of an external CD_RW drive would be appreciably
                      slower than an internal unit.

                      Again, thanks for the help.

                      Ray Shapp
                      Watchung, NJ
                    • Ray Shapp
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 6, 2002
                        Jody said >>>>>>I use an HP CD Writer Plus (9200i I believe) and out of over
                        500
                        CDs burned only about 5 were bad <snip> It is best to not do any other
                        activity on your
                        computer when burning them also. <<<<<<

                        I've had similar experience with CDR using a relatively new CD-RW drive.

                        Thanks for the reply.

                        Ray Shapp
                        Watchung, NJ
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 6, 2002
                          Hi Carl

                          >For backup, I use a freeware program called "My Own Backup v2.1"
                          >(original name, eh?) that's available on all the major freeware
                          >sites on the web. For retrieval, I use PowerDesk 4.0 (also a
                          >freeware program).

                          Will that software save to a file settings for a CD such as the
                          files/folders you want to put on the CD and will it do it w/o
                          altering the files or putting them in a zip? Also, will the file
                          for each set of files to burn, remember a label name such as
                          Fookes_Software? :)

                          I'll surely hunt for the link so I can use it till HP comes out
                          with better software for XP. The freebie that came with it when
                          I bought the drive now wants $99.00 for upgrades, so I burn my
                          CDs on my Win98SE machine.

                        • Ray Shapp
                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 6, 2002
                            Hi Jody,

                            The URL for My Own Backup is >>>
                            http://home4.swipnet.se/~w-42000/MOB/

                            I didn't test the features you mentioned, but MOB is handling CD-RW ok. The
                            original tree structure is maintained if you backup without compression. If
                            you do specify compression, you get everything in one zip file made by
                            WinZip, therefore, it is in a standard format preserving the fully qualified
                            file names.

                            My only qualm is that the website and the program haven't been updated since
                            November 1999. I wouldn't expect a lot of support but you sure can't beat
                            the price!

                            Ray Shapp
                            Watchung, NJ
                          • Jan Rosenstreich
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 7, 2002
                              On Mon, 4 Mar 2002 17:37:57 -0500, you wrote:

                              >Are re-writable CDs suitable media for use in backups of PC files? When I
                              >last read about the technology, the re-writable media weren't reliable
                              >enough for many routine re-write cycles. Also, most re-writable CD burners
                              >couldn't append new files to a CD without destroying previous contents. In
                              >order to write 10 new megabytes to a CD that already had 100 MB, one had to
                              >copy the 100MB to the hard drive, and then write all 110 MB to the CD in a
                              >single, uninterrupted operation.

                              I am using a CDRW burner to backup my files. With compression, you can
                              backup close to 1 Gig on a disk (depending on content - some files
                              compress better than others). Your best bet is to find a backup program
                              that supports CDRW drives. Many of them now support Tapes, CDRW, Zip
                              disks, etc. A backup program will allow you to easily do full backups,
                              append new files, do a selective backup, backup only changed files, etc.
                              You can accomplish the above using other means, but I find a dedicated
                              backup program makes it easier.

                              >I'm currently using 250MB zip disks for backup, but I will install the
                              >re-writable CD burner if the earlier limitations have been overcome.

                              A 250 MB zip disk (even with compression) wouldn't to it for me. I hate
                              swapping disks and I have almost 1 GIG of data to routinely backup.

                              Jan
                              --
                              Jan Rosenstreich
                              Independent Distributor #130-646
                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 8, 2002
                                Dear Jan,

                                >Your best bet is to find a backup program
                                >that supports CDRW drives. Many of them now support Tapes, CDRW, Zip
                                >disks, etc.

                                Could you please recommend one?

                                Wojciech

                                --

                                Okresl Swoje potrzeby - my znajdziemy oferte za Ciebie!
                                [ http://oferty.onet.pl ]
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 8, 2002
                                  Dear Ray,

                                  >If
                                  >you do specify compression, you get everything in one zip file made by
                                  >WinZip, therefore, it is in a standard format preserving the fully
                                  qualified
                                  >file names.

                                  Does it work also with WinRAR?

                                  Wojciech

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 8, 2002
                                    Dear Ray,

                                    >I'd now like to know whether anyone has first hand experience with an
                                    >external CD-RW drive connected to a PC through the USB port. I'm
                                    >considering buying one for the second PC (mentioned above) to give it RW
                                    >capability. I intend to stick with 1x, 2x, 4x media, therefore, I'd like
                                    >know whether the I/O speed of an external CD_RW drive would be appreciably
                                    >slower than an internal unit.

                                    I have been using Iomega external CD-RW "Predator" for about half a year
                                    (bought for my laptop). It is connected through USB, version 1 (version 2 -
                                    a new standard - is told to be much faster). I make major backups, store
                                    archives, sometimes even use it as a second hard drive, and I am quite
                                    satisfied. Only one remark: for some reasons it works OK with 2x speed, but
                                    when set for 4x, the drive begins to behave in a strange manner and refuses
                                    to write.

                                    Best regards,

                                    Wojciech

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 8, 2002
                                      Dear Carl,

                                      >For backup, I use a freeware program called "My Own
                                      >Backup v2.1" (original name, eh?) that's available on
                                      >all the major freeware sites on the web. For
                                      >retrieval, I use PowerDesk 4.0 (also a freeware
                                      >program).
                                      >
                                      >I created target zip files onto my backup CD, directed
                                      >the backup software to run specific sets for each zip
                                      >file, and turn it loose every Wednesday.
                                      >
                                      >Works 100%. If you have specific questions, you may
                                      >write me in private e-mail - or if it's a
                                      >general-interest question, I'll try to field it here
                                      >on Yahoo.

                                      Could you please elaborate your backup strategy a little bit more?
                                      Especially, why do you need another software for retrieval? What do you mean
                                      by "target zip files"? Do you simply add new files to existing archives?

                                      Best regards,

                                      Wojciech

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Mar 8, 2002
                                        Hi Wojciech,

                                        I have the type 1 USB. Can you give some speed estimate of reading and
                                        writing at 2x? Also, are reading and writing speeds the same?

                                        Thanks for your help.

                                        Ray Shapp
                                        Watchung, NJ
                                      • Carl Swann
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Mar 8, 2002
                                          Subscriber wrote:

                                          > Dear Carl,
                                          >
                                          > >For backup, I use a freeware program called "My Own
                                          > >Backup v2.1"
                                          > >I created target zip files onto my backup CD, directed
                                          > >the backup software to run specific sets for each zip
                                          > >file, and turn it loose every Wednesday.

                                          Sorry for delay in replying... I'm suffering worst computer crash
                                          ever, so I'm lucky to be able to access e-mail right now... :-/

                                          > Could you please elaborate your backup strategy a little bit more?
                                          > Especially, why do you need another software for retrieval?

                                          I wasn't clear there, sorry. MOB will restore the files just fine. I
                                          was making reference to the fact that I'll often want to simply open a
                                          file that's in the archive (such as a .doc file, just to read its
                                          content for a project). I use Powerdesk 4.0, choose my CD drive in it,
                                          go to the zip archive I want, look down the tree untill I find the
                                          file I'm looking for, then double-click it in the Powerdesk tree
                                          window. Powerdesk calls on WinWord to open the file and I read it. I
                                          can even copy from it to paste into another open document if I wish.
                                          When I'm through, I close the document, then close Powerdesk. Thus,
                                          I've been able to access a file in the archive *without having to
                                          restore it*.

                                          >What do
                                          > you mean
                                          > by "target zip files"? Do you simply add new files to existing
                                          > archives?

                                          Correct - again, I wasn't very clear... sorry.

                                          Hope this helps. (Now pray for me & my machine :-)

                                          Carl
                                        • Ray Shapp
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Mar 8, 2002
                                            Hi Wojciech

                                            I don't use WinRAR. I have no info about it.

                                            Sorry,

                                            Ray Shapp
                                            Watchung, NJ
                                          • Marcus
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Mar 8, 2002
                                              On 08.03.02 at 21:58 Subscriber wrote:
                                              >>Your best bet is to find a backup program
                                              >>that supports CDRW drives. Many of them now support Tapes, CDRW, Zip
                                              >>disks, etc.
                                              >
                                              >Could you please recommend one?

                                              You should be able to use any program because windows writes to your
                                              CD-RW via a packet writer (which you get included with current CD
                                              burning software), so you can write to it like any other drive.

                                              Marcus
                                            • Subscriber
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Mar 9, 2002
                                                Hi Ray,

                                                > I have the type 1 USB. Can you give some speed estimate of reading and
                                                > writing at 2x? Also, are reading and writing speeds the same?

                                                To my understanding 2x means two times faster than at the "base" speed,
                                                i.e.. 1x. In other words, if you need some 70 minutes to burn the whole CD
                                                (650 MB) at 1x, it takes 35 minutes at 2x, 17,5 at 4x and so on.

                                                Speed of reading and writing are definitely two different things. Reading is
                                                always much faster and does not depend on the speed with which given CD was
                                                written. All speeds are always indicated next to the drive name as three
                                                numbers. The first means the speed of writing the CD-Rs, the second - speed
                                                of writing the CD-RWs (usually the lowest), and the third - speed of reading
                                                (the highest). For example, my CD-RW has the following characteristics:
                                                4/4/6. It means that I can record CD-R and the CD-RW at the 4x, and read
                                                them at 6x.

                                                But there is also another parameter included, namely the speed of transfer
                                                of data between your computer and an external CD-RW drive. This exactly what
                                                depends on the type of connection. Briefly: the parallel port is the
                                                slowest, the USB is better, the Firewire is the best. As I mentioned, I have
                                                USB version 1, and this probably why I can use only 2x and not 4x speed for
                                                writing.

                                                But as long as one do not copy the whole CD but operates on archive or
                                                backup files of around 200-300 MB each, the 2x is OK, meaning that you need
                                                some 10-15 minutes for one file.

                                                Best regards,

                                                Wojciech

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Mar 9, 2002
                                                  On 08.03.02 at 21:58 Subscriber wrote:
                                                  >>Your best bet is to find a backup program that supports CDRW
                                                  drives. Many of them now support Tapes, CDRW, Zip disks, etc.

                                                  >Could you please recommend one?

                                                  >You should be able to use any program because windows writes to
                                                  your CD-RW via a packet writer (which you get included with
                                                  current CD burning >>software), so you can write to it like any
                                                  other drive.

                                                  I just wanted to add to the conversation that not ALL Packet
                                                  Writers support writing to CD-R media (versus CD-RW media). In
                                                  fact, this appears to be the NORM, not the exception.

                                                  Also, I have used a 1999 edition of Veritas Backup Exec and it
                                                  would NOT recognize my IDE CD-RW nor my USB ZIP drive. That was
                                                  the last Veritas I intend to purchase; I absolutely could not
                                                  determine from their retail box nor their web site what EXACTLY
                                                  was supported as back up devices before purchase. It looked good
                                                  to me. I was disappointed.

                                                  Regards,
                                                  Christopher J. Spilker
                                                  mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
                                                • Marcus
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Mar 9, 2002
                                                    On 09.03.02 at 12:40 Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker wrote:
                                                    >Also, I have used a 1999 edition of Veritas Backup Exec and it
                                                    >would NOT recognize my IDE CD-RW nor my USB ZIP drive.

                                                    That's an important issue. With CD software you need to check that it
                                                    supports your drive. I had an "old" version of CDRWin from April 2001,
                                                    but it could not know my new drive because it wasn't in production back
                                                    then.

                                                    Marcus
                                                  • Jan Rosenstreich
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Mar 13, 2002
                                                      On Fri, 8 Mar 2002 21:58:03 +0100, <subscribergsf@...> wrote:

                                                      >>Your best bet is to find a backup program
                                                      >>that supports CDRW drives. Many of them now support Tapes, CDRW, Zip
                                                      >>disks, etc.
                                                      >
                                                      >Could you please recommend one?

                                                      I use a program called Backup Executive. I don't recall the name of the
                                                      company since it has changed twice since I originally purchased it.

                                                      Jan