AOL Graphics

  • wilkinsonm
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002
      My client recently upgraded(?) to AOL 6, and now the photos on his
      website look lousy. They look fine using several other ISPs. His
      website is highlinemotorcars.com

      AOL.com has a reference that says they compress graphics. They
      explain that AOL users can choose not to compress graphics. We
      changed the setting, and after clicking on "refresh" several times,
      the photos looked fine. Unfortunately, it is not realistic to
      instruct every AOL visitor to his site to change their settings.

      AOL says that JPEG files saved in a "progressive" format will not be
      compressed, and that is the format I have been using. We never had a
      problem until recently.

      Can anyone give me some clues on how to get around this problem?

      Thanks

      Mike Wilkinson
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6, 2002
        Hi Mike,

        If it is not a setting to add the compression during upload, then
        I would add a note to the top of the page explaining that AOL
        users have to change the feature in their browser with a link to
        an explanation how to do that. I would have them write to AOL
        and say to not have that feature as a default or not at all. I
        would image they are getting bombarded with support messages
        because of it. You might also tell them there are other IS...
        Uh, never mind, so we do not get a war going on here. ;-) I do
        have a pretty funny AOL funny if you want me to send it to you.
        Just write me in private eMail.