Re: [NTO] Store Dial up Passwords (was Reinstalling Windows)

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 22, 2002
      Hugo & Adrian,

      At 11:14 PM 1/22/02 +0000, you wrote:

      FWIW

      Here is my input on the below.

      > > How can I save the Internet log on passwords? I can find no way to
      >do

      These are kept in files called cookies. Do a search for files and folders
      and put in Cookies and it will list the multitudes on your system. Which is
      which and what goes to who can be a little difficult to determine ;-)

      >The
      > > DUN either hasn't saved or it hasn't and it's greyed out.

      The DUN info is always lost when you re-install Windows it is part of My
      Computer and to date, I haven't found a way to preserve it.

      >I think it may have to do with profiles|user passwords and *.pwl files.

      .PWL & .PWD files get overwritten when reinstalling Windows. You need to
      back them up before re-installing and copy them back afterwords.

      HTH

      Jim
    • Adrian Worsfold
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 22, 2002
        Yes I noticed that the Freeserve CD (retrieve an account) put the email
        address as an identifier for the actual Windows login but I just pressed return
        through giving a password. By then logging on with it, it ungreyed the save
        password box but then it doesn't save the password.

        I will do as before and stick to the Lemondialler, with passwords saved into it
        and then it does the work. It bypasses the DUN box, but must be used first.

        Regarding the icons... According to a file of help, if the display colours is
        above 256 colours, you can click something about show all icon colours to get
        them all showing. Well I've got 32 million colours selected but there are only
        16 on icons and I cannot find this thing to click anywhere (regarding display
        properties).

        Adrian Worsfold

        http://www.pluralist.co.uk
      • Rick Friedline
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 22, 2002
          At 07:30 PM 1/22/02, Jim Hall wrote:

          >The DUN info is always lost when you re-install Windows it is part of
          >My
          >Computer and to date, I haven't found a way to preserve it.

          You cannot preserve it but you can store/save the information. I
          haven't used DUN since I went DSL almost two years ago, but I remember
          figuring out that I could drag a DUN connection icon to the desktop and
          then open and save it in NoteTab.

          Give it a try ...

          Rick

        • Lotta
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 22, 2002
            Hi Adrian,

            >Regarding the icons... According to a file of help, if the display colours is
            >above 256 colours, you can click something about show all icon colours to get
            >them all showing. Well I've got 32 million colours selected but there are
            >only
            >16 on icons and I cannot find this thing to click anywhere (regarding display
            >properties).

            I use Windows95 too. I have the icon colors on the Plus! tab in properties.
            If you don't have Plus! installed, maybe this registry hack will work. I've
            saved the tip from somewhere and am not sure if I have ever tried it, so
            use it at your own risk. ;)

            Or better, get the free 'mini version' of Plus! - at least I think that's
            how I got the icon settings in Properties.
            http://www.microsoft.com/typography/grayscal/smoother.htm?fname=%20&fsize=

            -------------------
            1 open registry editor
            2 in the left pane double click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER
            3 in the left pane double click on Control Panel
            4 in the left pane double click on Desktop
            5 in the left pane double click on WindowMetrics
            6 in the right pane look for a key named Shell Icon BPP
            create it if it is not there
            7 in the right pane double click on Shell Icon BPP and give it a
            value of 16 (for 16 bit video cards) or a value of 24 (for 24 bit
            video cards) or a value of 32 (for 32 bit video cards)
            the default is 4 for 16 colors and 8 for 256 colors
            8 click ok exit registry editor
            if you need to create the Shell Icon BPP key in the left
            pane right click under WindowMetrics then in the right pane right
            click an empty area choose new string value and name it
            Shell Icon BPP
            your video card must display over 256 colours for any effect
            ---------------------

            Lotta
          • Ben Barnet
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 23, 2002
              Adrian Worsfold wrote:

              > Regarding the icons... According to a file of help, if the display colours is
              > above 256 colours, you can click something about show all icon colours to get
              > them all showing. Well I've got 32 million colours selected but there are only
              > 16 on icons and I cannot find this thing to click anywhere (regarding display
              > properties).

              Adrian,

              I believe what you're looking for can be found in;

              Start > Settings > Control Panel > Display > Effects tab

              There is a checkbox marked "Show icons using all possible colors"

              HTH
              Ben
            • Adrian Worsfold
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 23, 2002
                Many thanks for all your replies.

                This http://www.microsoft.com/typography/grayscal/smoother.htm?fname=%
                20&fsize
                leads to a useful application for smooth fonts, but nothing about icons. I've
                tried searching for Plus! but Microsoft's website does not give a response.

                I jumped at the suggestion of the effects tab on Display Properties but mine
                has no effects tab. I installed Tweak and Powertoys but nothing there. I still
                have these colour collapsing icons!

                Your replies about the dial up are quite interesting and yes the solution is as it
                was for me, that of having a delivery of passwords saved elsewhere and sent
                past the DUN box. I shall go back to IE 5.5 shortly (for its print preview) where
                the DUN box is always greyed out regarding passwords. In the present IE 5
                version, the password isn't there but the first account I can press (but not the
                others) allows the box to be ticked and using that account will bring back
                other passwords. Should I choose a different account first time, their
                password save boxes are greyed out. What a completely stupid system.

                Somewhere in my boxes of CDs is something I must have once used that
                stopped icons with orange and fleshy colours going grey.

                Adrian Worsfold

                http://www.pluralist.co.uk
              • Lotta
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 23, 2002
                  Adrian,

                  >This http://www.microsoft.com/typography/grayscal/smoother.htm?fname=%
                  >20&fsize
                  >leads to a useful application for smooth fonts, but nothing about icons. I've
                  >tried searching for Plus! but Microsoft's website does not give a response.

                  Yes, but installing it makes other things appear on that Plus! tab too. The
                  screen shot on the page is cut down. I think the icon thing was available
                  to me before I installed this package, but hidden somewhere. Now I have
                  most thing concerning the desktop in the same place. I'll send you a screen
                  shot.
                  Install it anyway. I don't know how I got by without smooth fonts.

                  Lotta
                • hpaulissen
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 28, 2002
                    Thank you all for your contributions, I explored some of the tracks
                    that were offered, and finally got it working again.

                    For your information...

                    Problem with Dial UP Networking Password fixed

                    I was away for a couple of days, and I just saw that I managed to
                    get the save password box of my Dial Up connection to work again.

                    What I did (among others) was to get rid of my old password (I
                    experimented with Control Panels' Passwords and Control Panels'
                    Users, but maybe you can delete your *.pwl-file as well, I'm not sure
                    what I did last week, maybe both). When I restarted windows I left
                    the password field blank a couple of times and canceled. This did not
                    do the trick... What I *should* have done was leave the password
                    field blank and then click *OK*, not Cancel. Only then apparently the
                    password-list is generated anew; which makes it possible to store the
                    Dial UP Networking Password for future sessions.

                    Search Microsoft Support or Knowledge base for these items for more
                    help.
                    Dial-Up Networking Password Is Not Saved (Q148925)
                    How to Disable and Delete User Profiles (Q156826)

                    Hugo