Reinstalling Windows

  • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 22, 2002
      Those of you who have followed my woes since I first discovered a lack of
      reliable saving and opening of files may like to know that I have been
      reinstalling Windows 95 from scratch. What a long job (so far).

      Some of you may have answers to these questions:

      How can I make the icons on screen full colour? I have forgotten.

      How can I save the Internet log on passwords? I can find no way to do
      this (IE5, I'll be going to on to IE5.5 - there's a reason for this). The
      DUN either hasn't saved or it hasn't and it's greyed out. I use
      Lemondialler as a way round this (you can save to it), but some of you may
      just know. The FreeUK.com web page has several suggestions, and none of
      them work.

      Adrian Worsfold

      Pluralist: http://www.pluralist.co.uk
      Email: adrian@...

    • hpaulissen
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 22, 2002
        Adrian,

        > Those of you who have followed my woes since I first discovered a
        lack of
        > reliable saving and opening of files may like to know that I have
        been
        > reinstalling Windows 95 from scratch. What a long job (so far).

        I do not know if it is a comfort to you, but when I wanted to upgrade
        a driver lately Windows 98 took over control completely (it installed
        itself - W98 I mean - again and there was nothing I dared/could do
        against it...). But afterwards I had no troubles and I think my
        machine works very fine by now.

        > How can I save the Internet log on passwords? I can find no way to
        do
        > this (IE5, I'll be going to on to IE5.5 - there's a reason for
        this). The
        > DUN either hasn't saved or it hasn't and it's greyed out. I use
        > Lemondialler as a way round this (you can save to it), but some of
        you may
        > just know. The FreeUK.com web page has several suggestions, and
        none of
        > them work.

        I had the same problem before, was able to get rid of it for more
        then a year, but apparently I messed up again. So now, my passwords
        are not stored either. IE6/W98/DUN1.4. I think it may have to do with
        profiles|user passwords and *.pwl files. Trying the options given in
        the W98 troubleshooters did not give results, so I gave up (having an
        impeccable clean machine by now <g>). As you, I use another dialer as
        well that does save my passwords.

        Hugo
      • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 22, 2002
          Adrian / Rosemary,

          This is in response to your question: retaining password
          for Internet logon. The one thing I know for sure is that you
          MUST be logging onto Windows with at least ONE login I.D. (it
          does not need a password here). If you log onto Windows via the
          "Esc" key when it asks you to login, no passwords will be
          remembered. If you ARE already logging on, then it may be
          perhaps that your password profile (*.pwl in C:\Windows ...)
          could be corrupt. You could delete it, reboot and re-create it.
          Please note that your (former) desktop layout will be lost.

          Having Windows retain your Internet (ISP) password (and
          others) is one of the biggest complaints Windows users' has. It
          is also possible that your ISP's (custom) dialer refuses (by
          design) to "remember passwords". That is less likely, I think.

          If this hint and others that may come do not help you,
          holler again and I'll research this some more for you.

          Good luck to you!

          Regards,
          Christopher J. Spilker
          mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
        • Jim Hall
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 22, 2002
            Hugo & Adrian,

            At 11:14 PM 1/22/02 +0000, you wrote:

            FWIW

            Here is my input on the below.

            > > How can I save the Internet log on passwords? I can find no way to
            >do

            These are kept in files called cookies. Do a search for files and folders
            and put in Cookies and it will list the multitudes on your system. Which is
            which and what goes to who can be a little difficult to determine ;-)

            >The
            > > DUN either hasn't saved or it hasn't and it's greyed out.

            The DUN info is always lost when you re-install Windows it is part of My
            Computer and to date, I haven't found a way to preserve it.

            >I think it may have to do with profiles|user passwords and *.pwl files.

            .PWL & .PWD files get overwritten when reinstalling Windows. You need to
            back them up before re-installing and copy them back afterwords.

            HTH

            Jim
          • Adrian Worsfold
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 22, 2002
              Yes I noticed that the Freeserve CD (retrieve an account) put the email
              address as an identifier for the actual Windows login but I just pressed return
              through giving a password. By then logging on with it, it ungreyed the save
              password box but then it doesn't save the password.

              I will do as before and stick to the Lemondialler, with passwords saved into it
              and then it does the work. It bypasses the DUN box, but must be used first.

              Regarding the icons... According to a file of help, if the display colours is
              above 256 colours, you can click something about show all icon colours to get
              them all showing. Well I've got 32 million colours selected but there are only
              16 on icons and I cannot find this thing to click anywhere (regarding display
              properties).

              Adrian Worsfold

              http://www.pluralist.co.uk
            • Rick Friedline
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 22, 2002
                At 07:30 PM 1/22/02, Jim Hall wrote:

                >The DUN info is always lost when you re-install Windows it is part of
                >My
                >Computer and to date, I haven't found a way to preserve it.

                You cannot preserve it but you can store/save the information. I
                haven't used DUN since I went DSL almost two years ago, but I remember
                figuring out that I could drag a DUN connection icon to the desktop and
                then open and save it in NoteTab.

                Give it a try ...

                Rick

              • Lotta
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 22, 2002
                  Hi Adrian,

                  >Regarding the icons... According to a file of help, if the display colours is
                  >above 256 colours, you can click something about show all icon colours to get
                  >them all showing. Well I've got 32 million colours selected but there are
                  >only
                  >16 on icons and I cannot find this thing to click anywhere (regarding display
                  >properties).

                  I use Windows95 too. I have the icon colors on the Plus! tab in properties.
                  If you don't have Plus! installed, maybe this registry hack will work. I've
                  saved the tip from somewhere and am not sure if I have ever tried it, so
                  use it at your own risk. ;)

                  Or better, get the free 'mini version' of Plus! - at least I think that's
                  how I got the icon settings in Properties.
                  http://www.microsoft.com/typography/grayscal/smoother.htm?fname=%20&fsize=

                  -------------------
                  1 open registry editor
                  2 in the left pane double click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER
                  3 in the left pane double click on Control Panel
                  4 in the left pane double click on Desktop
                  5 in the left pane double click on WindowMetrics
                  6 in the right pane look for a key named Shell Icon BPP
                  create it if it is not there
                  7 in the right pane double click on Shell Icon BPP and give it a
                  value of 16 (for 16 bit video cards) or a value of 24 (for 24 bit
                  video cards) or a value of 32 (for 32 bit video cards)
                  the default is 4 for 16 colors and 8 for 256 colors
                  8 click ok exit registry editor
                  if you need to create the Shell Icon BPP key in the left
                  pane right click under WindowMetrics then in the right pane right
                  click an empty area choose new string value and name it
                  Shell Icon BPP
                  your video card must display over 256 colours for any effect
                  ---------------------

                  Lotta
                • Ben Barnet
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 23, 2002
                    Adrian Worsfold wrote:

                    > Regarding the icons... According to a file of help, if the display colours is
                    > above 256 colours, you can click something about show all icon colours to get
                    > them all showing. Well I've got 32 million colours selected but there are only
                    > 16 on icons and I cannot find this thing to click anywhere (regarding display
                    > properties).

                    Adrian,

                    I believe what you're looking for can be found in;

                    Start > Settings > Control Panel > Display > Effects tab

                    There is a checkbox marked "Show icons using all possible colors"

                    HTH
                    Ben
                  • Adrian Worsfold
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 23, 2002
                      Many thanks for all your replies.

                      This http://www.microsoft.com/typography/grayscal/smoother.htm?fname=%
                      20&fsize
                      leads to a useful application for smooth fonts, but nothing about icons. I've
                      tried searching for Plus! but Microsoft's website does not give a response.

                      I jumped at the suggestion of the effects tab on Display Properties but mine
                      has no effects tab. I installed Tweak and Powertoys but nothing there. I still
                      have these colour collapsing icons!

                      Your replies about the dial up are quite interesting and yes the solution is as it
                      was for me, that of having a delivery of passwords saved elsewhere and sent
                      past the DUN box. I shall go back to IE 5.5 shortly (for its print preview) where
                      the DUN box is always greyed out regarding passwords. In the present IE 5
                      version, the password isn't there but the first account I can press (but not the
                      others) allows the box to be ticked and using that account will bring back
                      other passwords. Should I choose a different account first time, their
                      password save boxes are greyed out. What a completely stupid system.

                      Somewhere in my boxes of CDs is something I must have once used that
                      stopped icons with orange and fleshy colours going grey.

                      Adrian Worsfold

                      http://www.pluralist.co.uk
                    • Lotta
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 23, 2002
                        Adrian,

                        >This http://www.microsoft.com/typography/grayscal/smoother.htm?fname=%
                        >20&fsize
                        >leads to a useful application for smooth fonts, but nothing about icons. I've
                        >tried searching for Plus! but Microsoft's website does not give a response.

                        Yes, but installing it makes other things appear on that Plus! tab too. The
                        screen shot on the page is cut down. I think the icon thing was available
                        to me before I installed this package, but hidden somewhere. Now I have
                        most thing concerning the desktop in the same place. I'll send you a screen
                        shot.
                        Install it anyway. I don't know how I got by without smooth fonts.

                        Lotta
                      • hpaulissen
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 28, 2002
                          Thank you all for your contributions, I explored some of the tracks
                          that were offered, and finally got it working again.

                          For your information...

                          Problem with Dial UP Networking Password fixed

                          I was away for a couple of days, and I just saw that I managed to
                          get the save password box of my Dial Up connection to work again.

                          What I did (among others) was to get rid of my old password (I
                          experimented with Control Panels' Passwords and Control Panels'
                          Users, but maybe you can delete your *.pwl-file as well, I'm not sure
                          what I did last week, maybe both). When I restarted windows I left
                          the password field blank a couple of times and canceled. This did not
                          do the trick... What I *should* have done was leave the password
                          field blank and then click *OK*, not Cancel. Only then apparently the
                          password-list is generated anew; which makes it possible to store the
                          Dial UP Networking Password for future sessions.

                          Search Microsoft Support or Knowledge base for these items for more
                          help.
                          Dial-Up Networking Password Is Not Saved (Q148925)
                          How to Disable and Delete User Profiles (Q156826)

                          Hugo