Re: [NTB] Windows 2000 default editor?

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 21, 2002
      Jim
      > If you go to
      >
      > http://jimbow.com/
      >
      > you can download a document called "All About Replacing Notepad" which
      > fully describes the Who, What,Where, and Why's for replacing Notepad on
      all
      > versions of Windows since Win 95.

      FWIW: Within the last couple of weeks I read about a utility available from
      Microsoft for downloading (might have been Langa's newsletter?) that is
      designed to force overriding of WFP (Windows File Protection). Since I'm
      still using Win98 I forgot to record the URL from which it can obtained.

      The closest I've come is this TechNet article:
      http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/driver/sfp/wfp.asp#Disable

      At the time I read the original, I thought it might be useful for the task
      of forcing WinXP/2K to accept Eric's replacement. Maybe someone else saw the
      same thing and can provide a closer hit?

      Regards ... Alec
        > > you can download a document called "All About Replacing Notepad" which
        > > fully describes the Who, What,Where, and Why's for replacing Notepad on
        >all
        > > versions of Windows since Win 95.
        >
        >FWIW: Within the last couple of weeks I read about a utility available from
        >Microsoft for downloading (might have been Langa's newsletter?) that is
        >designed to force overriding of WFP (Windows File Protection). Since I'm
        >still using Win98 I forgot to record the URL from which it can obtained.
        >
        >The closest I've come is this TechNet article:
        >http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/driver/sfp/wfp.asp#Disable
        >
        >At the time I read the original, I thought it might be useful for the task
        >of forcing WinXP/2K to accept Eric's replacement. Maybe someone else saw the
        >same thing and can provide a closer hit?

        Thanks for the info, I'll give it another look-see.

        I had discounted it before due to this statement:

        Important: You must have a kernel debugger attached to the system via null
        modem cable (for example:I386kd.exe or Windbg.exe) to use SFCDisable = 1 or
        SFCDisable = 2.

        An interesting byproduct of the Manual over ride is that other files can
        subsequently be changed too (with no WFP intervention) and to date I have
        been unable to re-invoke the WFP without totally reloading Win2K or XP.
        Even upgrading from 2K to XP does not reinstate it.

        I have used the SFC.exe file to try to re invoke it but to no avail.

        I just checked a Win2K machine that was just installed and had the WFP
        manually over ridden to replace Notepad and the SFCDisable was set to zero.
        BTW, changing it to a one did not give any messages nor did it seem to
        change the way the WFP operates.

        Even searching the registry for WFP or SFC gives some interesting results.

        MS don't mind telling us what the WFP is and what it does but they are a
        little tight lipped about exactly how it does it. They don't want people
        over riding it and over writing system files.

        We will probably stumble across it one day and then we can get it totally
        automated but until then if you want to change it, it looks to me like it
        still has to be done manually.

        If there is anyone out there running Win2K or XP who could check their
        registry for an entry called SFCScan, it would help me to know if it is in
        the registry before manual over ride and whether or not manual over ride
        removes it.

        Thanks Again,

        Regards,

        Jim

      • djust@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 22, 2002
          I just used regedit to do an everything-scan on the entire registry of my copy of
          Win2000. No trace of any string "SFCScan" anywhere. but maybe it only appears
          after someone has RUN a scan of some kind.

          Thanks.
          David.

          On 22 Jan 2002 at 1:18, Jim Hall wrote:

          > If there is anyone out there running Win2K or XP who could check their
          > registry for an entry called SFCScan, it would help me to know if it is in
          > the registry before manual over ride and whether or not manual over ride
          > removes it.
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 22, 2002
            Jim

            I found the program I was talking about ;--)

            Its "InUse" see here: How to Replace Currently Locked Files with Inuse.exe
            (Q228930)
            http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q228/9/30.ASP
            described here: http://www.aumha.org/freewarez.htm
            >>NT/2K/XP. This (unsupported) Microsoft freeware utility provides
            "on-the-fly" capability to replace files currently in use by the operating
            system. Not only does this let your replace a single file instead of
            multiple files (as with a service pack), it helps in other areas, such as
            replacing protected files in Win XP (where Windows File Protection would
            otherwise turn around and undo your file replacement on the next boot). For
            further information on use, syntax, and recommended precautions, see MSKB
            Q228930.<<

            Maybe it will simplify the replacement on Notepad.exe?

            Regards ... Alec
              >I found the program I was talking about ;--)
              >
              >Its "InUse" see here: How to Replace Currently Locked Files with Inuse.exe
              >(Q228930)

              Thanks for the info. Next time I build a new Win2K drive I'll check it out
              and see if it can bypass the WFP.

              If it will, that should fully automate the process for Win2K and XP both.

              Thanks again,

              Regards,

              Jim