Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [NTO] OT - Help with a Foxbase file ?

Expand Messages
  • Jim Hall
    Wendy, ... You have hit the jackpot! You can fix this faster than I can type this answer. Drag and drop the file onto an open instance of NoteTab. Place the
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 19, 2001
    • 0 Attachment
      Wendy,

      At 06:18 PM 1/19/2002 -0800, you wrote:
      >I have a dbf file that stores the records of 250+ downloads and I need
      >to edit (find and replace) a single character throughout. The author of
      >the program said I could edit the file with Fox base....Well I sure
      >don't have fox base or know anything about it anyway. Is there any
      >chance Note Tab (latest Pro) could do it and how? Or does anyone have
      >a suggestion? Know of a utility that would let me fix this file? I
      >just need to change all (D) to (G) I am bereft of ideas. Anyone?

      You have hit the jackpot!

      You can fix this faster than I can type this answer.

      Drag and drop the file onto an open instance of NoteTab.

      Place the cursor at the very top of the file.

      Do CTRL+R and put in the D and G and select REPLACE ALL.

      Save the file and you are done.

      Regards,

      Jim
    • toushoes
      I have a dbf file that stores the records of 250+ downloads and I need to edit (find and replace) a single character throughout. The author of the program
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 19, 2002
      • 0 Attachment
        I have a dbf file that stores the records of 250+ downloads and I need
        to edit (find and replace) a single character throughout. The author of
        the program said I could edit the file with Fox base....Well I sure
        don't have fox base or know anything about it anyway. Is there any
        chance Note Tab (latest Pro) could do it and how? Or does anyone have
        a suggestion? Know of a utility that would let me fix this file? I
        just need to change all (D) to (G) I am bereft of ideas. Anyone?

        @ ]]) Wendy
        @ ]]) aka: Toushoes
      • Jim Hall
        Sorry about the wrong month and Year in my post. It is fixed now. Jim
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 19, 2002
        • 0 Attachment
          Sorry about the wrong month and Year in my post.

          It is fixed now. <VBG>

          Jim
        • toushoes
          Jim, No go...If it was that easy, I d be very tickled. The replace is grayed out. Have checked attributes and it is not write protected. This little
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 19, 2002
          • 0 Attachment
            Jim, No go...If it was that easy, I'd be very tickled. The replace
            is grayed out. Have checked attributes and it is not write protected.
            This little problem has been bugging me for like 3 years. Every time I
            change any drive letters I have to let this program go on a long drawn
            out search to update the location of each and every file (while I
            repeatedly push the same 2 buttons).....Yeah Sure . . .thanks anyway,
            still waiting for the magic potion on this one.

            @ ]]) Wendy
            @ ]]) aka: Toushoes



            On Mon, 19 Nov 2001 18:33:55 -0800, you wrote:

            >Wendy,
            >
            >At 06:18 PM 1/19/2002 -0800, you wrote:
            >>I have a dbf file that stores the records of 250+ downloads and I need
            >>to edit (find and replace) a single character throughout. The author
            of
            >>the program said I could edit the file with Fox base....Well I sure
            >>don't have fox base or know anything about it anyway. Is there any
            >>chance Note Tab (latest Pro) could do it and how? Or does anyone
            have
            >>a suggestion? Know of a utility that would let me fix this file?
            I
            >>just need to change all (D) to (G) I am bereft of ideas. Anyone?
            >
            >You have hit the jackpot!
            >
            >You can fix this faster than I can type this answer.
            >
            >Drag and drop the file onto an open instance of NoteTab.
            >
            >Place the cursor at the very top of the file.
            >
            >Do CTRL+R and put in the D and G and select REPLACE ALL.
            >
            >Save the file and you are done.
            >
            >Regards,
            >
            >Jim
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            >
            >
            >
            >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            >
          • Jim Hall
            Wendy, ... Okay, let s regroup, FIRST you need to do a FILE EXPORT in your DBase program (or any that can read it) and export it to a text file. (How it is
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 19, 2002
            • 0 Attachment
              Wendy,

              At 06:55 PM 1/19/2002 -0800, you wrote:
              >Jim, No go...If it was that easy, I'd be very tickled. The replace
              >is grayed out. Have checked attributes and it is not write protected.
              >This little problem has been bugging me for like 3 years. Every time I
              >change any drive letters I have to let this program go on a long drawn
              >out search to update the location of each and every file (while I
              >repeatedly push the same 2 buttons).....Yeah Sure . . .thanks anyway,
              >still waiting for the magic potion on this one.

              Okay, let's regroup,

              FIRST you need to do a FILE>EXPORT in your DBase program (or any that can
              read it) and export it to a text file. (How it is delimited doesn't matter,
              comma, space, tab etc.)

              THEN do your search and replace in NoteTab on the text file. I would use
              C:\ or D:\ etc. (or the complete path) to only change drive letters and not
              other text.

              THEN do a FILE>IMPORT back into your DBase program and re-save it as a .dbf
              file.

              Only added 1 minute to the operation and still faster than I can type it.:-)

              Jim
            • toushoes
              Jim Well-- Export, Find, and Replace all work just fine....but there is no import for the program....the difference in size for the DBF file and the text file
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 19, 2002
              • 0 Attachment
                Jim
                Well-- Export, Find, and Replace all work just fine....but there is
                no import for the program....the difference in size for the DBF file and
                the text file is 25,442.txt and 401,617.dbf I don't think just
                renaming the txt file is gonna get it. I am stumped.

                @ ]]) Wendy
                @ ]]) aka: Toushoes



                The On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 19:28:27 -0800, you wrote:

                >Wendy,
                >
                >At 06:55 PM 1/19/2002 -0800, you wrote:
                >>Jim, No go...If it was that easy, I'd be very tickled. The
                replace
                >>is grayed out. Have checked attributes and it is not write protected.
                >>This little problem has been bugging me for like 3 years. Every time
                I
                >>change any drive letters I have to let this program go on a long drawn
                >>out search to update the location of each and every file (while I
                >>repeatedly push the same 2 buttons).....Yeah Sure . . .thanks anyway,
                >>still waiting for the magic potion on this one.
                >
                >Okay, let's regroup,
                >
                >FIRST you need to do a FILE>EXPORT in your DBase program (or any that
                can
                >read it) and export it to a text file. (How it is delimited doesn't
                matter,
                >comma, space, tab etc.)
                >
                >THEN do your search and replace in NoteTab on the text file. I would
                use
                >C:\ or D:\ etc. (or the complete path) to only change drive letters and
                not
                >other text.
                >
                >THEN do a FILE>IMPORT back into your DBase program and re-save it as a
                .dbf
                >file.
                >
                >Only added 1 minute to the operation and still faster than I can type
                it.:-)
                >
                >Jim
                >
                >
                >------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                >
                >
                >
                >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                >
              • Jim Hall
                ... Hmmm - That is odd. Just for the heck of it, try dragging and dropping the changed file on your program and see if it will open it. ... Nope. ... Me too!
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 19, 2002
                • 0 Attachment
                  At 08:10 PM 1/19/02 -0800, you wrote:
                  >Jim
                  > Well-- Export, Find, and Replace all work just fine....but there is
                  >no import for the program


                  Hmmm - That is odd.

                  Just for the heck of it, try dragging and dropping the changed file on your
                  program and see if it will open it.



                  >....the difference in size for the DBF file and
                  >the text file is 25,442.txt and 401,617.dbf I don't think just
                  >renaming the txt file is gonna get it.

                  Nope.


                  > I am stumped.

                  Me too! :-)


                  I guess we need more info now.

                  What program are you running?

                  Do you have any other DBase programs?

                  Do you have a Spread Sheet program?

                  Are you using a Word Processor?

                  If none of the above, you might try an Internet search on dbf.

                  I did and this is one that came up. I know nothing about it but you might
                  check it out.

                  http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-6831830.html?tag=dir


                  You really need a Data Base Program to manage your data base files.

                  Feel free to e-mail me privately for some alternative solutions.

                  Jim

                  jehall@...
                • tenu@sci.fi
                  ... It might be binary file, in that case try hex editor. A fuzz-free unbloated editor can be found at http://www.kibria.de/#frhed Better to make a backup
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 20, 2002
                  • 0 Attachment
                    > From: toushoes <toushoes@...>
                    > Jim, No go...If it was that easy, I'd be very tickled. The replace
                    > is grayed out. Have checked attributes and it is not write protected.

                    It might be binary file, in that case try hex editor.

                    A fuzz-free unbloated editor can be found at
                    http://www.kibria.de/#frhed

                    Better to make a backup first!


                    Jorma
                  • toushoes
                    The program is Download Wonder the database is just it s index of all the files I have DL s in the last 3 years or so. I really just need to retire the
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 20, 2002
                    • 0 Attachment
                      The program is Download Wonder the database is just it's index of all
                      the files I have DL's in the last 3 years or so.

                      I really just need to retire the program, it is just that I like the way
                      it lets me keep track of things and of course it has all the oldies but
                      goodies in it already.

                      I don't do databases anymore. I use Quatro Pro for the bit of spread
                      sheet stuff that I do.

                      I have done the search on dbf and on Fox and come up with a couple
                      things to try, but none of them get anywhere. I will continue the
                      search for a bit, but I have just about reached the limit of my
                      endurance on "fixing" this thing. Thanks

                      @ ]]) Wendy
                      @ ]]) aka: Toushoes



                      On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 23:24:50 -0800, you wrote:

                      >At 08:10 PM 1/19/02 -0800, you wrote:
                      >>Jim
                      >> Well-- Export, Find, and Replace all work just fine....but
                      there is
                      >>no import for the program
                      >
                    • Jim Hall
                      Wendy, ... I think (but not positive) that you should be able to import your file into Quatro Pro and save it as a DBF file. If not there are freeware data
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 20, 2002
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Wendy,
                        At 08:20 AM 1/20/2002 -0800, you wrote:
                        >The program is Download Wonder the database is just it's index of all
                        >the files I have DL's in the last 3 years or so.
                        >
                        >I really just need to retire the program, it is just that I like the way
                        >it lets me keep track of things and of course it has all the oldies but
                        >goodies in it already.
                        >
                        >I don't do databases anymore. I use Quatro Pro for the bit of spread
                        >sheet stuff that I do.
                        >
                        >I have done the search on dbf and on Fox and come up with a couple
                        >things to try, but none of them get anywhere. I will continue the
                        >search for a bit, but I have just about reached the limit of my
                        >endurance on "fixing" this thing. Thanks

                        I think (but not positive) that you should be able to import your file into
                        Quatro Pro and save it as a DBF file.

                        If not there are freeware data base programs out there.

                        You might search back on this site's web archives. Some time back Lotta was
                        looking for a small dbase program and there were several suggestions made
                        by different people.

                        Sounds like you have it under control now, sorry it doesn't let you import,
                        then you would have it all. :-)

                        Jim
                      • toushoes
                        Jorma, Thank you. I have tried several hex editors on this file and none worked....Yours did it with no problem. It works! @ ]]) Wendy @
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 20, 2002
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Jorma,
                          Thank you. I have tried several hex editors on this file and none
                          worked....Yours did it with no problem. It works!

                          @ ]]) Wendy
                          @ ]]) aka: Toushoes



                          On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 11:54:00 +0200, you wrote:

                          >> From: toushoes <toushoes@...>
                          >> Jim, No go...If it was that easy, I'd be very tickled. The
                          replace
                          >> is grayed out. Have checked attributes and it is not write
                          protected.
                          >
                          >It might be binary file, in that case try hex editor.
                          >
                          >A fuzz-free unbloated editor can be found at
                          >http://www.kibria.de/#frhed
                          >
                          >Better to make a backup first!
                          >
                          >
                          >Jorma
                          >
                          >
                          >------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                          >
                        • toushoes
                          Jim, Tried with Q-Pro, no go. I finally got it with a Hex-editor (I have tried this several times but none worked) Jorma sent me to frhed
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 20, 2002
                          • 0 Attachment
                            Jim, Tried with Q-Pro, no go. I finally got it with a Hex-editor
                            (I have tried this several times but none worked) Jorma sent me to
                            "frhed" http://www.kibria.de/#frhed
                            and it did the trick, no problem. I am still looking at some dbf
                            utilities but they seem iffy. I am happy . . . no longer dreading the
                            next drive letter change or being held hostage by this program.


                            @ ]]) Wendy
                            @ ]]) aka: Toushoes



                            On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 10:06:38 -0800, you wrote:

                            >Wendy,

                            >I think (but not positive) that you should be able to import your file
                            into
                            >Quatro Pro and save it as a DBF file.
                            >
                            >If not there are freeware data base programs out there.
                            >
                            >You might search back on this site's web archives. Some time back Lotta
                            was
                            >looking for a small dbase program and there were several suggestions
                            made
                            >by different people.
                            >
                            >Sounds like you have it under control now, sorry it doesn't let you
                            import,
                            >then you would have it all. :-)
                            >
                            >Jim
                            >
                            >
                            >------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                            >
                          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.