Re: [NTO] Note Tab open and save

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 13, 2002
      Jody wrote:

      >Hi Adrian,
      >
      >>I'm happy to move this next time to of topic because you who've
      >>replied tell me that it's a bug in Windows 95. It needs decom...
      >>

      >Thanks!
      >
      >When we went through the problem a few years ago it was proven
      >that it was not just NoteTab effected. The CD version of DECOM95
      >had some sort of bug in it or it needed to have work done in it
      >by MS to clear the problem the programs were having with the
      >Open/Save problem. We had to download DECOM95 in order to fix
      >it. I think you have already tried it, but it sure would not
      >hurt to install a completely new NoteTab and use the new ini
      >file. A handful of users had to reinstall Win95 and then DECOM to
      >get it to work correctly.
      >
      >Happy Topics,
      >Jody

      Hi Adrian,

      Here are 2 links to MS for DCOM95. The file in the first link is dated
      in 1999, the second link is dated in 2001.

      You might want to download both and try the newest one first, keep the
      older one temporarily for a backup. I don't recall it mentioned in your
      posts, are you at Win95 SR2?

      hrs

      -------------------------
      http://www.microsoft.com/com/dcom/dcom95/download.asp?FinishURL=%2Fdownloads%2Frelease%2Easp%3FReleaseID%3D10337%26LangID%3D20%26LangDIR%3Den%2Dus%26OpSysID%3D1311%26Search%3Dproduct%26Value%3Ddcom95%26Show%3DAlpha%26Start%3D%26Page%3D0%26redirect%3Dno
      ---------------------------
      http://download.microsoft.com/download/platformsdk/Redist/4.71.1015.0/W95/EN-US/DC95Inst.EXE
    • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 19, 2002
        Since I wrote on this last time I have followed up the links kindly supplied by
        several people. Both DCOM links were still available from Microsoft, and
        actually I installed both in date order. The result is far from perfect, because
        although I began to think that the matter was solved the old problem returned
        again - noticed first when I used a clip box to go and get an image into a
        webpage. It was going nowhere and then I tried the open icon and it did not
        work. Incidentally, before the downloads I had the problem occur and so closed,
        went to Arachnophilia, repeated the launching of the IE5.5 browser window to
        check the appearance, and it too failed. So as has been said, it is not just Note
        Tab. It isn't just IE5.5 either, because even after today's failure a repeated
        viewing of a web page did not cause a failure to open. I often wonder when it is
        going to happen.

        So I could reinstall the whole thing but is it worth it? I think there is a resources
        problem and I am considering upgrades to RAM and hard drive, especially the
        former. My own feeling is that reinstalling the whole operating system is a waste
        of time because something recent has caused the change, and it would just
        cause it again. I have reinstalled IE5.5 before now, but not removed IE4.01 which
        gave the single click. Obviously it did nothing.

        Basically when the NoteTab problem happens I hit the icon in the taskbar at the
        bottom and it restores everything, and I shall probably stick with this workaround
        until I have done some upgrading.

        Adrian Worsfold

        http://www.pluralist.co.uk
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 19, 2002
          On 1/19/02 7:29 PM, Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold wrote:

          >So I could reinstall the whole thing but is it worth it? I think there is a resources
          >problem and I am considering upgrades to RAM and hard drive, especially the
          >former. My own feeling is that reinstalling the whole operating system is a waste
          >of time because something recent has caused the change, and it would just
          >cause it again. I have reinstalled IE5.5 before now, but not removed IE4.01 which
          >gave the single click. Obviously it did nothing.
          >
          >Basically when the NoteTab problem happens I hit the icon in the taskbar at the
          >bottom and it restores everything, and I shall probably stick with this workaround
          >until I have done some upgrading.
          >
          >Adrian Worsfold

          Adrian,

          Have you tried any of the available methods for scrubbing the registry.
          There are windows and plain dos utilities to do this and for the most
          part they work pretty good.

          I used NoteTab with Win95(a), pre OSR2(b,c,d,etc.), and I probably use
          it quite differently than you, but, I never had the types of trouble you
          are having. Using utilities to clean all the garbage out of the
          registry was, and is still, the primary maintainance I do on the Windows OS.

          It can make a big difference sometimes, Just remember to back up first.

          hrs
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 19, 2002
            Hi Adrian,

            >So I could reinstall the whole thing but is it worth it? I think
            >there is a resources problem and I am considering upgrades to RAM
            >and hard drive, especially the former. My own feeling is that
            >reinstalling the whole operating system is a waste of time
            >because something recent has caused the change, and it would just
            >cause it again. I have reinstalled IE5.5 before now, but not
            >removed IE4.01 which gave the single click. Obviously it did
            >nothing.

            It was IE4 that caused the open/save problem. Back then, it was
            DECOM that fixed it. You may need to reinstall Windows from
            scratch. There was another person about six months ago that
            ended up doing that and the problem cleared.

            >Basically when the NoteTab problem happens I hit the icon in the
            >taskbar at the bottom and it restores everything, and I shall
            >probably stick with this workaround until I have done some
            >upgrading.

            Whatever makes you happy. ;)