When is a joke not a joke!

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 11, 2002

      > TO: Everyody
      >

      > TAKE NOTICE !!!!!!!
      >

      > I got this thing (below the line) from a friend of mine.
      > After doing the search, I found I had the Virus thing and
      > I eliminated it per the instructions.
      >

      > You are on my address book, and may have it.
      >

      > This may ruin your hard drive, so take this seriously.

      > VIRUS
      >

      > This is a serious e-mail. i received an email from my mom warning of a
      > virus that was passed on to her and then to me. Someone who had sent
      > her a message had a PC that was infected and since she was in his
      > address book he thought it had been spread to her computer, which it
      > was, and then on to me. Just follow the simple instructions below to
      > locate the virus and delete it. The bad news is that you probably have
      > it, as you are in MY address book. More bad news is that neither
      > McAffee nor Norton anti-virus seem to detect it. The virus lies
      > dormant for 14 days and then kills your hard drive. Here is what to
      > do. If you follow the instructions and then see that you have the
      > virus, you need to send a similar email to everyone in YOUR address
      > book. Remove the virus by following these steps:
      >

      > 9. If you found the virus on your system, send this or a similar email
      > to ALL in your address book because that is how this is transferred.

      Hi All,

      Sorry to bother everyone with this kind of thing, but here it is.

      I received the above email from someone, who shall remain nameless.
      There were several dozens of CC addresses involved also.

      This is a false virus-scare that apparently some people are falling for.

      The file named "sulfnbk.exe" is a standard Windows executable file. I
      believe the filename is an acronym that has something to do with
      -Support Long FileNames-. This is a retread scare, I can remember at
      least once, maybe twice, this scare has made the rounds.

      If you read item 9 above you will see that's the most important part of
      this scare, this is the only way it is spread. If everyone deletes a
      legitimate Windows file and sends this to everyone in their address book
      it will be as bad as most viruses.

      Don't delete what may be useful and legal files from you computer
      because you received an email telling you to.

      hrs
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 11, 2002
        Harvey,

        At 07:11 PM 1/11/02 -0600, you wrote:
        >Hi All,
        >
        >Sorry to bother everyone with this kind of thing, but here it is.
        >
        >I received the above email from someone, who shall remain nameless.
        > There were several dozens of CC addresses involved also.

        Looks like good old Phil is back making his presence known.

        His book sales must be down and he has too much time on his hands.

        His post is a weird one though. If I view it in Eudora I can't change and
        view another

        OR

        With that list of TO's I just didn't wait long enough.

        I would suggest that Jody Moderate him before he sends it to the Whole List
        (if he missed anyone)

        Now I have to see if I can delete it.

        Jim
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 11, 2002
          Hi Jim,

          >With that list of TO's I just didn't wait long enough.
          >
          >I would suggest that Jody Moderate him before he sends it to the
          >Whole List (if he missed anyone)

          I did not get the post, so I do not know what is happening. I read
          Harvey's though.

        • Jim Hall
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 11, 2002
            Jody,

            At 10:40 PM 1/11/02 -0600, you wrote:

            >I did not get the post, so I do not know what is happening. I read
            >Harvey's though.

            He sent out another one saying OOPS!

            Jim
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 11, 2002
              Hi Jim,

              >> I did not get the post, so I do not know what is happening. I
              >> read Harvey's though.
              >
              >He sent out another one saying OOPS!

              Does the "OOPS!" take me out of the loop? ;->

              Two more baby goats born today. ;) Three calls on the boat for
              sale. Springtime weather in the Panhandle of Florida up in the
              70s and only about 65+ F presently - short sleev'n it at night
              outside. Now, that's my FL winter. Guess everybody has Spring
              fever. ;)