Re: [NTO] Advanced Search

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 9, 2002
      Hi Christopher and Jan,

      Today my Find utility is working much more like what I expected. As you
      suggested, I used only the Of type criterion, and the results were perfectly
      reasonable. For example, on the Advanced tab, I used the pull-down window
      to select C++ source program files. I allowed the search to cover all of my
      C drive (and all its subfolders). It returned 1168 files. They all had the
      "cpp" extension.

      Next, to push the envelope, I added the criterion that the files must
      include "<conio.h>" in their text, and I did a new search. It returned 78
      of the original files. A quick scan confirmed that they, indeed, contain
      the specified text. I then added "a*." in the file name criterion, and only
      7 files of .cpp type containing the "<conio.h>" returned, and they all begin
      with the letter "a".

      All this was as I had expected before yesterday's anomaly. I was actually
      content with what I had so far, but I just had to push a little farther. In
      doing so, I may have duplicated something like yesterday's problem. This
      time I introduced a conflict by specifying a wildcard extension in the file
      name criterion ("a*.*") while still specifying C++ source program files on
      the advanced tab. This time, the search came back with 10,000 hits, and the
      search aborted because of excessive files found. The Find utility ignored
      what I had specified on the Advanced tab. Instead it attempted to return
      every file I own that begins with the letter "a".

      Apparently the file extension in the Named criterion overrides any file type
      specified on the Advanced tab.

      This was an interesting little exercise. The Find utility is a little more
      useful now.

      Thanks for the help.

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ