RE: [NTO] Advanced Search
- To Ray,
> RE: (Your Post): A question about the Advanced tab on theFind utility in Win98 (Pentium
> computer):I have tried to duplicate your "Advanced Find" trouble and
could not. I am using Windows 98SE and a Pentium processor. I
used the "Advanced Find" in Windows Explorer (with Internet
Explore 6.00) and did NOT set ANY other parameters in ANY of the
other tabs, selected a file type in the drop down menu and the
resultant search ONLY displayed results of THAT file type. Tried
it several times for several different file types and worked "as
advertised" (for me).
With regards to the posting by "Jan", yes, you have to
specify a location in the "Look In" or, simply be in the folder
you want to look into before you invoke the search menu. If you
know you ONLY want to look in a specific folder and none else,
uncheck the "Include Subfolders" in the "Look In" area. This
will reduce the amount of time completing the search.
I know this may not be of much help to you, but I wanted to
respond to your posting and hoping others will too.
Christopher J. Spilker
- Hi Christopher and Jan,
Today my Find utility is working much more like what I expected. As you
suggested, I used only the Of type criterion, and the results were perfectly
reasonable. For example, on the Advanced tab, I used the pull-down window
to select C++ source program files. I allowed the search to cover all of my
C drive (and all its subfolders). It returned 1168 files. They all had the
Next, to push the envelope, I added the criterion that the files must
include "<conio.h>" in their text, and I did a new search. It returned 78
of the original files. A quick scan confirmed that they, indeed, contain
the specified text. I then added "a*." in the file name criterion, and only
7 files of .cpp type containing the "<conio.h>" returned, and they all begin
with the letter "a".
All this was as I had expected before yesterday's anomaly. I was actually
content with what I had so far, but I just had to push a little farther. In
doing so, I may have duplicated something like yesterday's problem. This
time I introduced a conflict by specifying a wildcard extension in the file
name criterion ("a*.*") while still specifying C++ source program files on
the advanced tab. This time, the search came back with 10,000 hits, and the
search aborted because of excessive files found. The Find utility ignored
what I had specified on the Advanced tab. Instead it attempted to return
every file I own that begins with the letter "a".
Apparently the file extension in the Named criterion overrides any file type
specified on the Advanced tab.
This was an interesting little exercise. The Find utility is a little more
Thanks for the help.