Re: [NTO] Advanced Search

  • Jan Rosenstreich
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2002
      On Tue, 8 Jan 2002 21:44:49 -0500, "Ray Shapp" <rayshapp@...> wrote:

      >A question about the Advanced tab on the Find utility in Win98 (Pentium
      >computer):
      >
      >How does one use the entries in the "Of type" pull-down window? For
      >example, on my computer, it looks like over a hundred different file types
      >are available in that window. When I try to limit a search to only a
      >specific type of file by using one of those entries, the program seems to
      >ignore that criterion, and it uses only the search criteria I provide on the
      >other tabs of the Find utility.

      It seems that this is a particular type of search and is overwritten by
      other entries in the search fields. I think it is listing all the
      registered file types on the computer. Its use may be limited to only
      searches by file types. I tried an "Of type" setting of "Adobe Acrobat
      Document" and set the "Look In" field to my C:\ drive - checking all
      subdirectories - The search returned all the .pdf files on my computer.

      A search for *.pdf in the regular search gave me identical results.

      >I'm guessing that there is a specific file extension that corresponds to
      >each of the entries in the pull-down window. If so, I could use that
      >extension to limit a search by using that extension in the "Named" window on
      >the Name & Location tab. In some cases, however, I don't know what
      >extension corresponds to the file type shown in the "Of type" window.

      It seems like it's an either/or situation. If you know the file
      extension, you can use that extension in the "Named" window on the Name &
      Location tab. If you know the file type, you can use the advanced
      setting. You still need to fill in the "Look In" to specify the scope of
      the search.

      >In any event, learning how to associate a file extension with a particular
      >file type is a secondary issue. What I really am asking is how to force the
      >search to be limited to the file type I highlight on the Advanced tab.

      It seems that you need to leave the other fields blank except the "Look
      In" field on the Name & Location tab

      >I have read the entire Help file offered by the Find utility, but it is
      >silent on this question.

      It's pretty useless like many of the Microsoft Help files :-(

      Jan
      --
      Jan Rosenstreich
    • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 9, 2002
        To Ray,

        > RE: (Your Post): A question about the Advanced tab on the
        Find utility in Win98 (Pentium
        > computer):

        I have tried to duplicate your "Advanced Find" trouble and
        could not. I am using Windows 98SE and a Pentium processor. I
        used the "Advanced Find" in Windows Explorer (with Internet
        Explore 6.00) and did NOT set ANY other parameters in ANY of the
        other tabs, selected a file type in the drop down menu and the
        resultant search ONLY displayed results of THAT file type. Tried
        it several times for several different file types and worked "as
        advertised" (for me).

        With regards to the posting by "Jan", yes, you have to
        specify a location in the "Look In" or, simply be in the folder
        you want to look into before you invoke the search menu. If you
        know you ONLY want to look in a specific folder and none else,
        uncheck the "Include Subfolders" in the "Look In" area. This
        will reduce the amount of time completing the search.

        I know this may not be of much help to you, but I wanted to
        respond to your posting and hoping others will too.

        Regards,
        Christopher J. Spilker
        mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 9, 2002
          Hi Christopher and Jan,

          Today my Find utility is working much more like what I expected. As you
          suggested, I used only the Of type criterion, and the results were perfectly
          reasonable. For example, on the Advanced tab, I used the pull-down window
          to select C++ source program files. I allowed the search to cover all of my
          C drive (and all its subfolders). It returned 1168 files. They all had the
          "cpp" extension.

          Next, to push the envelope, I added the criterion that the files must
          include "<conio.h>" in their text, and I did a new search. It returned 78
          of the original files. A quick scan confirmed that they, indeed, contain
          the specified text. I then added "a*." in the file name criterion, and only
          7 files of .cpp type containing the "<conio.h>" returned, and they all begin
          with the letter "a".

          All this was as I had expected before yesterday's anomaly. I was actually
          content with what I had so far, but I just had to push a little farther. In
          doing so, I may have duplicated something like yesterday's problem. This
          time I introduced a conflict by specifying a wildcard extension in the file
          name criterion ("a*.*") while still specifying C++ source program files on
          the advanced tab. This time, the search came back with 10,000 hits, and the
          search aborted because of excessive files found. The Find utility ignored
          what I had specified on the Advanced tab. Instead it attempted to return
          every file I own that begins with the letter "a".

          Apparently the file extension in the Named criterion overrides any file type
          specified on the Advanced tab.

          This was an interesting little exercise. The Find utility is a little more
          useful now.

          Thanks for the help.

          Ray Shapp
          Watchung, NJ